Did you know Celebrity can "bump" you from your cabin?

p18750

On our upcoming Regent cruise they were overbooked and the offer to give up our cabin was to replace the 7 day Caribbean cruise with a 22 day Miami to Vancouver repositioning cruise and a one category upgrade. As we already had a transatlantic and three weeks in UK booked for that period we had to decline. Also couldn't picture ourselves surviving a three week all inclusive cruise without doing serious damage to our bodies (we have NO willpower):D

Fire your TA

Fire the travel agent? They didn't cancel the cruise, Celebrity did. Any talks between the travel agency and Celebrity is speculation as stated by the poster. Get the facts and then act not panic possibly embarrass yourself.

Fire the cruise.ine they are the ones that ruined your vacation.

Our travel agent is in conversations with Celebrity and trying to work out a resolution. We are supposed to find out on Thursday (we were scheduled to leave for Miami on Friday). I am hopeful that Celebrity will find a way to make this right.

Like an earlier post I was shocked that after making the final payment, printing the Xpress pass and getting luggage tags your cabin could be taken away from you. I just cannot imagine the situation where this would occur. Evidently I am not alone since at least two others on the connections thread for the cruise have also posted about the same issue.

I understood the concept of overbooking back when airline tickets were like cash, and you could skip a flight and use that ticket for any other flight, walking up to the counter 2 hours before the flight. Now with non-refundable tickets, where every seat they are going to sell is sold and they have the money already there is no reason or excuse for overbooking.

The cruise industry has a similar situation with final payment, non-refundable, 45 to 90 days before the cruise. There is no reason to overbook, ever.

We were bumped from the entire cruise, not bumped from another cabin. Evidently Celebrity had overbooked the cruise and decided someone else should go instead of my wife and I.

Since you had an assigned cabin, overbooking meant that someone without a cabin was given your assigned one.

In an overbooking situation, it would normally be the person without an assigned cabin that would not get onto the cruise.

I agree with others who say that if Celebrity wanted your cabin to fill a GTY, they should have made an offer to volunteer for a moveover and if you rejected that offer, make the offer to someone else.

The OP is not joking - and now not the only person on the roll call receiving the bump call. The other passenger was offered three alternative TAs at no charge, a refund of airline change fees and a refund of his cruise funds.

I am baffled as this cruise was closed to travel agent booking a couple weeks ago - yet suddenly we have several new passengers posting on the roll call at the same time passengers are being bumped.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The travel industry's attitude to overbooking has changed since yesterday. When the share price falls and the CEO has to make a grovelling apology, then that's the time to make changes.

In a few days, everyone will have forgotten the United debacle and the old mantra of "overbooking is good for everyone" will return, but right now, I'm sure Celebrity will want to distance themselves from the issue of bumping passengers without their consent.

I would urge the OP and the others affected to get back to their TA and make as much noise as they can, here and on Facebook. What's the bet that some satisfactory solution appears in short order, before the end of the day?

This is a very disturbing thing to hear.

We are (hopefully - but that's a whole other story) about to embark on a six week holiday to the US. T/A one way, four weeks in the US and T/A back. If we were bumped from our T/A to the US our whole holiday would go up in smoke (we can't fly). Likewise if it happened on the way back we would have no other way to return.

The travel industry's attitude to overbooking has changed since yesterday. When the share price falls and the CEO has to make a grovelling apology, then that's the time to make changes.

In a few days, everyone will have forgotten the United debacle and the old mantra of "overbooking is good for everyone" will return, but right now, I'm sure Celebrity will want to distance themselves from the issue of bumping passengers without their consent.

I would urge the OP and the others affected to get back to their TA and make as much noise as they can, here and on Facebook. What's the bet that some satisfactory solution appears in short order, before the end of the day?

Agree, I can't imagine what state I would be in finding out a couple of days before we were due to sail that they'd given our cabin to someone else and we were actually bumped off the cruise altogether.

Having watched the United debacle, it's appalling to think that companies can treat people in this way because of their overbooking - quite unbelievable!

Please keep us informed.

Celebrity will have to compensate you well.

You could already have been in Miami waiting for your cruise and not have been able to be contacted. I sometimes spend a week pre cruise in Florida without wifi or cell. What a shock it would have been to turn up at the port to find you are not on the cruise.

This is so very disturbing. I also cannot believe they can treat people this way.....compensation or not!!!! A lot goes into planning a vacation, not to mention the $$$$.

This is the third or fourth time I have read about this happening and all of the posts were for GTY cabins. I will NEVER book a GTY. Saving a few pennies on a GTY cabin is not worth what can happen to you.

I hope the OP comes back and updates us. So sad. :(

The OP did not have a guarantee cabin. This could have all been avoided by Celebrity making generous "move over offers" to passengers. Trust me, they would have had takers. Princess and other cruise lines have been handling it likes this for YEARS. They are so good you hope you get one!! I hope Celebrity is reading this thread and can learn from other cruise lines.

The OP did not have a guarantee cabin. This could have all been avoided by Celebrity making generous "move over offers" to passengers. Trust me, they would have had takers. Princess and other cruise lines have been handling it likes this for YEARS. They are so good you hope you get one!! I hope Celebrity is reading this thread and can learn from other cruise lines.

Are you sure? This is his quote...."had a cabin assignment".

Not really important to me, just find the whole thing horrific.

LOVE your new pic, by the way.:)

Are you sure? This is his quote...."had a cabin assignment".

Not really important to me, just find the whole thing horrific.

LOVE your new pic, by the way.:)

On their roll call, the OP stated they had booked a particular Concierge cabin a few months ago ;). I believe there are others too that are in the same situation i.e. bumped off the sailing.

This is so awful. I am so sorry. For the life of me I do not understand why Celebrity did not try to make some "move over" offers. Princess does this very efficiently and effectively.

Because they wanted to be one up on United.

Wow...shameful!

More and more cruising seems like a less desireable vacation option...We have 3 booked but are carefully thinking about whether we will book anymore.

When push comes to shove, Celebrity is concerned more with its profits than its customers. No surprise there as many businesses have that attitude. I'm sure they feel if Mr. and Mrs. Smith stop booking, they'll have no trouble filling the cabin with Mr. and Mrs. Jones, so why worry about it. The cost of our cabin on our next X cruise has riswn by about 60% since we booked it. I can't imagine paying that much for a Celebrity cruise and now, apparently, there is the real concern of being bumped from a popular trip. Just what I need.

When push comes to shove, Celebrity is concerned more with its profits than its customers. No surprise there as many businesses have that attitude. I'm sure they feel if Mr. and Mrs. Smith stop booking, they'll have no trouble filling the cabin with Mr. and Mrs. Jones, so why worry about it. The cost of our cabin on our next X cruise has riswn by about 60% since we booked it. I can't imagine paying that much for a Celebrity cruise and now, apparently, there is the real concern of being bumped from a popular trip. Just what I need.

Well, I read this thread this morning with my mouth wide open. Have just been told that our cruise for August 2018 has just been cancelled as the ship has been hired out for a private party. Not happy at all. Thankfully, we had not booked hotels or flights etc, but I really feel for the poor people who were 'bumped' from their cabin / cruise!

Well, I read this thread this morning with my mouth wide open. Have just been told that our cruise for August 2018 has just been cancelled as the ship has been hired out for a private party. Not happy at all. Thankfully, we had not booked hotels or flights etc, but I really feel for the poor people who were 'bumped' from their cabin / cruise!

So has Reflection been chartered next August?

It's a shame you do not live closer to Miami. If it was me I would simply drive to the port, turn my luggage (with luggage tags) over to the porter.

After I see it loaded on the ship, I would check in and see what happens. I would expect they would find a cabin. Perhaps you would be issued your Sea Pass card. Then I would go to the cabin.

I am on this sailing and following the roll call. These bumps are happening this week, 5 days before the cruise. Every time the phone rings, I panic. As mentioned, this cruise sold out a few weeks ago, yet some websites still continued to sell cabins at double the rates, including Celebrity. The website I use to check cabin availability showed it as SOLD OUT 3 weeks ago. Yes, new people are joining the roll call- today! So far, all of the people bumped were in veranda cabins. I'm thinking the worse, that there will be no lecturers or outside entertainers, since they get assigned regular cabins. Of course I would rather have my cabin than a craft class. They seem to be bumping paid passengers for those who are willing to pay a higher price for the same cabin.

I am on this sailing and following the roll call. These bumps are happening this week, 5 days before the cruise. Every time the phone rings, I panic. As mentioned, this cruise sold out a few weeks ago, yet some websites still continued to sell cabins at double the rates, including Celebrity. The website I use to check cabin availability showed it as SOLD OUT 3 weeks ago. Yes, new people are joining the roll call- today! So far, all of the people bumped were in veranda cabins. I'm thinking the worse, that there will be no lecturers or outside entertainers, since they get assigned regular cabins. Of course I would rather have my cabin than a craft class. They seem to be bumping paid passengers for those who are willing to pay a higher price for the same cabin.

When is your cruise? A TA might have a release date and has unsold cabins. They would show as "sold" until they are released back to Celebrity.

So has Reflection been chartered next August?

The letter says 5 days from the 15th of August 2018 so our cruise from Rome scheduled for the 10th is now cancelled.

They have offered alternatives but as we are stuck to school holidays we can't make any of them.

Not happy, but not a lot we can do about it and the O.P's news was worse so close to the date.