Did you know Celebrity can "bump" you from your cabin?

p18750

I Am sure, in the back of my mind I knew they have the power to bump, but pushed it away many times as I thought 'they would never bump us..' LOL, then when it happens....

Getting bumped is never good or easy, whenever it happens, to be sure.

I have read posts here on CC where passengers have been bumped, but I think they were not angry, but upset yet they had over one (1) year out to plan another sailing as these were mainly charters.

I trust that everyone in the past and those in the future who are bumped are well taken care of for the inconvenience and etc..

bon voyage

When is your cruise? A TA might have a release date and has unsold cabins. They would show as "sold" until they are released back to Celebrity.

They're talking about the Eclipse TA leaving this Saturday, April 15.

One of the other posters on that cruise who was also bumped posted on the Roll Call they are being switched to a RCCL TA and were upgraded to a Grand Suite as part of the "compensation package" for being bumped.

So i'll be interested to hear about how the OP ultimately makes out with her situation.

They're talking about the Eclipse TA leaving this Saturday, April 15.

One of the other posters on that cruise who was also bumped posted on the Roll Call they are being switched to a RCCL TA and were upgraded to a Grand Suite as part of the "compensation package" for being bumped.

So i'll be interested to hear about how the OP ultimately makes out with her situation.

Thanks. Hope the OP is pleased at the outcome.

When is your cruise? A TA might have a release date and has unsold cabins. They would show as "sold" until they are released back to Celebrity.

SUNDAY, this coming Sunday - this is the cruise people are getting bumped from, with little option. One couple was booked on an older Royal Caribbean ship leaving from Tampa, and upgraded and given OBC, but they have to get off at the first port and find their way back to England

Another couple was given 3 TA dates, two for the fall and one on the Sillouette leaving April 23.

They were told it was random when I know there could be people on board who may have more flexibility. I am not retired and my vacation time is locked in a year in advance.

This is a Transatlantic involving, hotels in Europe, airfare back and family flying in from other states to cruise.

This ship was indeed sold out, but they kept selling cabins. Unsold Inventory was turned back in 3 months ago.

Just to clarify the facts....

The first person to notify our April 16 Eclipse roll call of the bump had a balcony GTY cabin and extensive plans following the cruise. The substitution offered included a GS upgrade and OBC but was unsatisfactory as it severely impacted the post-cruise planning and expenses causing them to disembark the itinerary early.

The second person to notify the roll call had an assigned Concierge level cabin assigned. They were offered three other TA options but at this time have not accepted any of them. They also mentioned they may instead accompany friends on another cruise line departing the day prior to the transatlantic sailing.

Both cruisers had Express Passes and luggage tags prior to the Celebrity phone call.

Neither the travel agents or contacts with the Captains Club management have brought any resolution as the cruise line has not backed down from the decision. No one on the roll call reported that they were contacted with move-over offers prior to the involuntary bumping of these two roll call members.

I have had experience with very favorable move-over offers, but never in over 30 cruises with involuntary bumping. Additionally confounding, I am very surprised that we have suddenly had an influx of new people joining our roll call. My assumption at this point is that someone charged with final cabin assignments was asleep on the job at Celebrity and screwed up. What a mess and how disappointing for those involved.

CelebrityCruises often posts to answer questions, make announcements and offers of help. I think that they should post on this thread to explain the situation. Falling on the heels of United fiasco it is particularly important for Celebrity to stay ahead of the situation.

I am on this sailing and following the roll call. These bumps are happening this week, 5 days before the cruise. Every time the phone rings, I panic. As mentioned, this cruise sold out a few weeks ago, yet some websites still continued to sell cabins at double the rates, including Celebrity. The website I use to check cabin availability showed it as SOLD OUT 3 weeks ago. Yes, new people are joining the roll call- today! So far, all of the people bumped were in veranda cabins. I'm thinking the worse, that there will be no lecturers or outside entertainers, since they get assigned regular cabins. Of course I would rather have my cabin than a craft class. They seem to be bumping paid passengers for those who are willing to pay a higher price for the same cabin.

Why are people being bumped? Who is replacing them?

Would like to hear from Celebrity Cruises or CEO rep as to what is going on...

never heard of this over many yrs if cruising X...only when ship is chartered and everyone is cancelled but not individual bumps..

We just paid a fortune for airfare to fly cross country for a Pacific Coastal cruise..plus 2 nights pre cruise hotel..booked excursions..Woukd feel totally violated if our longstanding res and cabin selection were stripped away from us.

CelebrityCruises often posts to answer questions, make announcements and offers of help. I think that they should post on this thread to explain the situation. Falling on the heels of United fiasco it is particularly important for Celebrity to stay ahead of the situation.

I agree completely.

And also, since I am booked on the cruise in question, I'd like to know for sure that the involuntary bumps are over and that I won't get bumped, because I am now stressing out about the possibility and will be until I have my keycard in hand on the Eclipse on Sunday. :(

This is ridiculous! Celebrity should be ashamed of putting their paying guests through this. I can't imagine all the planning it takes to do a T/A, arranging for time off work if necessary, excursions, hotels, airfare costs, etc. and then find out with 5 days to go that you have been kicked to the curb for another (presumably) passenger who is paying more. And that it is happening to several people--not just one instance.

So disappointed in Celebrity. How can any of us plan for a cruise, pay in full, and know that we could be booted off at any time?:mad:

I find this very frustrating and also think the compensation should be greatly enhanced. It is awful that so many companies see profit as the most important thing of their business practices. Yes, the bottom line is important, but so are your customers who fork over lots of their hard earned money to you for a vacation. That is what is wrong with so many businesses today.

Many thanks to the OP for posting this information so others can be aware of these practices. Yes, there will be those who say it is just business; they should be the ones getting bumped...

I hope that those of you who have been put in this situation find a resolution that is acceptable...good luck and sending positive thoughts to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am on the Celebrity website NOW and there are rooms available for the sailing to book. Currently they are showing 7272. I went through the booking process! ETA: Now gone, but showing an inside available, 3172

More rooms coming and going. I would get on the website and put one on hold.

Bottomfeeder- I had the same thought that there may be more than we are aware of. However, I am only aware of two posters with this issue but have seen a few references to three bookings??

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is usually another side to the story, but at this time we only have been presented with one.

Why are people being bumped? Who is replacing them?

Would like to hear from Celebrity Cruises or CEO rep as to what is going on...

never heard of this over many yrs if cruising X...only when ship is chartered and everyone is cancelled but not individual bumps..

We just paid a fortune for airfare to fly cross country for a Pacific Coastal cruise..plus 2 nights pre cruise hotel..booked excursions..Woukd feel totally violated if our longstanding res and cabin selection were stripped away from us.

All we know is that the cruise is overbooked and NEW people are joining the roll call as of today, via the auto generated (BS) "I'm booked on this cruise, looking forward to meeting you". Well, I am not looking forward to meeting you if you bumped me out of my cabin. To be fair, maybe they booked awhile ago and just joined the roll call, but something is rotten in Denmark.

The last person bumped was in a concierge cabin celebrating her 15th wedding anniversary. We have not been bumped yet, but like Bottomfeeder says, we are concerned. People have been bumped at the port and this is a very real concern. I booked a guaranteed veranda- in January, but paid to upgrade once a cabin was assigned. Everyone bumped had been assigned cabins. Celebrity needs to speak up.

What about trvl agents who may have worked hard to book these cruises and plan their clients' vacations. Do they lose their commission?

Or are only non Trvl agent clients getting the heave ho?

I'm actually a bit surprised that following the United incident, no one has contacted the media.

There are always facts unknown in these situations, however it would seem unlikely that two different people would make the same report of being involuntarily bumped.

The fact that cabins are now opening after several weeks adds to the conundrum. I just hope it turns out well for everyone involved. Celebrity is a very good cruise line and this is an aberration.

What about trvl agents who may have worked hard to book these cruises and plan their clients' vacations. Do they lose their commission?

Or are only non Trvl agent clients getting the heave ho?

OP said they were informed by their travel agent. Perhaps it is only travel agent bookings ?

That is one of the things we don't know. TA or Celebrity booking? Date booked? One person had a guarantee, another a selected cabin. One thing is, posters are right in that you can go to the celebrity website and go all the way through the booking process and there is availability. Maybe when you actually pay it will pop up "sold out". I would like to think my TA would fight harder for me than Celebrity itself. Cruised Celebrity 32 times - don't bump me now.

The 1A has now closed. I am interpreting the action on availability this morning as Celebrity's efforts to resolve the bumping situation.

I would like to add that in general I believe Cruise Critic is a valuable tool as long as the information reported is not reactive but factual. Many people are not familiar enough with the industry to recognize erroneous information when they read it.

Bottomfeeder- I had the same thought that there may be more than we are aware of. However, I am only aware of two posters with this issue but have seen a few references to three bookings??

I thought two but then I saw the OP on this post referring to "the two others who posted on the roll call" or something to that effect so thought the OP here must not be one of those who posted on the roll call. I didn't go back to check. So perhaps only two separate posters about it.