Food on Viking Embla is horrible

goldenrod

Having posted over 2,700 times on this board you would think they would know very well what to expect on a river cruise but I guess there are always oblivious travelers.

That's the problem we are not getting what we expected!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

goldenrod, Let me offer you a tip on "surviving" the food on this cruise. Don't eat the American style food at all. No hotdogs, no fish and chips, no hamburgers, no Po'Boys, no quesadillas. You are not the only person to complain about the fish and chips, but I think the real problem is that you are trying to eat American food on a European river cruise and that just DOES NOT WORK AT ALL. Eat the pastas, soups, salad, fruits, cheeses and bread... anything that is local from the area in which you are cruising. Especially choose those dishes that reflect the local cuisine. Then you will have the better food on the ship. Viking's soups, salads and pastas are among their better offerings. At breakfast, their omelets are best, and also bread, fruit, cheese and salumis. At lunch try to choose something that mentions the area you are currently sailing in on the menu such as Braised German Beef Roll or Bavarian Farmer's Plate. Be aware that in Europe meat and poultry are raised differently than in the US so the meat may be considerably tougher than what you would get back home and it may taste gamier. Typically European beef is grass fed and not aged at all. If that bothers you, choosing meat that is braised or slow cooked is often a better choice or choose something else altogether such as pasta or the vegetarian meal. The cheese plate at dinner will always be amazing as the cheese is sourced locally along the river and they change it up daily.

For those who are curious about what is served on Viking, here are some photos of menus and dishes:

http://kimandcarrie.com/viking-river-cruises-menus-and-meals/

I'm sorry to hear that you are not enjoying this vacation as I know this is quite an expensive trip. Try to focus on the amazing places you are visiting instead of focusing so much on the food so hopefully you can get some enjoyment from this experience. But DO eat in a more European style and avoid American foods.

BTW, Uniworld does offer limited room service to those in suites and the butlers do bring you snacks and beverages between meals. Sorry you don't have that on Viking.

This is some of the best advice I've ever seen posted on these boards. I once traveled with friends...one of whom would only drink Michelob Ultra. After being told many times that it was not available, she decided to try the local beer. What an awakening! Her trip...and her opinion of European riverboat cruising changed completely.

That's the problem we are not getting what we expected!

goldenrod---

if you are familiar with these boards, please tell us: what exactly did you expect? And please, go beyond food expectations--frankly, many of us are at a loss re: what you thought you were getting yourself into going on a European river cruise. It has been made abundantly clear here on CC that a river cruise is a COMPLETELY different animal than an ocean cruise.

Not trying to mock you, but rather, trying to understand you.

GR wants 14 places to choose from for where he eats, and pick his time. He also wants water slides and possibly a Disney Character or two.

Dunno how he ended up on a river cruise but shame on the friend or TA that did this .....

Having posted over 2,700 times on this board you would think they would know very well what to expect

have you looked at his previous posts?????

I didn't see a positive comment in one .......

GR wants 14 places to choose from for where he eats, and pick his time. He also wants water slides and possibly a Disney Character or two.

Where did the OP say that?

Enjoy your day. And, if God wills, grant you ontinued good health, to live and not die before your next cruise.

I think this situation is really unfortunate because this cruise (not including air) costs start at over $5,499pp for the cheapest cabin - and the suite would be considerably more - 3 to 4 times more depending on the suite.

Goldenrod is right that there is not a lot of hanging space for clothing in the suite - just half of a double closet with 2 sliding doors - so one side is hanging space and the other side is shelves and the safe. Other than that closet deficit, the suite is lovely. Perhaps a solution would be to keep at least half of the clothes in the suitcases and then as things go in the laundry bag and the closet and drawers empty out, unpack the rest of the clothes and put the dirty clothes in the suitcases.

I think that the most important part of any river cruise are the tours and I really hope that Goldenrod is enjoying those at least.

Here's an interesting article about what it's like to work on a river cruise ship - especially in the galley:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/19/cruise-crew-life-living-a_n_925819.html

It's interesting to note that the crew works from 5:30am to 10:30pm.

Having posted over 2,700 times on this board you would think they would know very well what to expect

have you looked at his previous posts?????

I didn't see a positive comment in one .......

I didn't either. And he is apparently really enjoying hating this cruise so I would hate to mess that up for him with any of the good suggestions offered here.

I think that Goldenrod made a couple of "rookie" mistakes. First, he chose a 23 day cruise, which is a very long time to be on a river boat, even for those who love river cruising.

Goldenrod mistakenly believed that ocean cruises and river cruises were one and the same.

Food seems to be an important aspect to them. If that is the case, ask around for suggestions of which line is known for better food quality than others. Usually you get what you pay for on River Cruises.

Unfortunately it's too late for Goldenrod, but perhaps others can learn from his mistake.

I think Goldenrod is very frustrated that his very expensive cruise is nothing at all that he envisioned.

I didn't either. And he is apparently really enjoying hating this cruise so I would hate to mess that up for him with any of the good suggestions offered here.

I went back and read some of his past posts and I don't think every post is negative. I rather enjoyed his candor. Actually he's a kind of guy that just speaks his mind. Apparently this his 50th wedding anniversary and he probably really wanted it to be really special for him and his wife. I'm pretty open to new and different foods, but honestly, after looking at some of their menus, I'm not sure I would be pleased with the selections. Just strange combinations. But I could be wrong....you don't know until you try it yourself.

Hope everything gets better for you Jerry! Happy Anniversary to you and your wife!

I have not read all the posts but the 1 about food and in particular fish I sympathise with the op.

we are fussy/careful about eating fish. smelly fish suggests it may not be as fresh as it needs to be?

food is an important feature on a river cruise and most would expect it to be fresh and well cooked.

I welcome reading the good/bad and the ugly and value the reviews individuals are good enough to share.

I agree with the comments about eating local produce as much as possible when travelling in Europe.

we have done about 9 river cruises now and cannot recall ever being offered fish and chips, but doubt we would eat it even if it was.

I have not read all the posts but the 1 about food and in particular fish I sympathise with the op.

we are fussy/careful about eating fish. smelly fish suggests it may not be as fresh as it needs to be?

food is an important feature on a river cruise and most would expect it to be fresh and well cooked.

It can also be no more than an unfamiliarity with the type of fish that has been used.

Complaints about Viking food quality are very rare and often have a lot more to do with personal choice than any real issue with the food itself.

Took a survey of the twelve people we just had lunch with today which is day 10, asked them to rate the food on a scale of 1 to 10 eleven said 5 and one said 6, so say what you want, the food has not been good ☹️!

Edited by goldenrod

Took a survey of the twelve people we just had lunch with today which is day 10, asked them to rate the food on a scale of 1 to 10 eleven said 5 and one said 6, so say what you want, the food has not been good ☹️!

Sounds like it hasn't been horrible either...

Try and focus on enjoying your vacation, plenty of time to post here once you are back home.

I know there have been times in the past when if I'd posted the moment something less than positive happened it would not have properly reflected the totality of the vacation.

I tend to spend time locally giving feedback and seeking short-term correction of any negatives rather than letting them fester.

Hopefully even if the food is still not perfect, there are other aspects that you are enjoying.

We are enjoying the ports tours and the very nice people we have met, but at $25 k for this 23 day cruise we were expecting a much higher level of food similar to what we were served on our 5 Regent cruises! We can't even get a shrimp cocktail and all the soups are like water, had the clam chowder Friday no flavor, could not find a clam!

goldenrod,

Hopefully you have read my post above and you are now sticking to fresh foods such as fruit, salad, freshly prepared omelets, soups, breads, cheeses, pastas, salumi's and local dishes. Also, I have seen others online who have mentioned that the Fish and Chips is not good. It is not just you. I suspect the problem is that the chef has to use a different species of fish than what is typically used in the US or UK. IMO, I would avoid a "mystery fish" dish such as Fish and Chips, especially when this is NOT a common dish in Germany or Austria or whatever country you are currently in.

It is possible that the chef on this ship is just not very good, so the eating strategy I have given you will mitigate that possible problem as much as possible.

I looked at other reviews of your ship and others HAVE been disappointed in the food:

"The cuisine was disappointing overall and had a relative lack of variety and ethnic diversity. While generally tasty, this was not a gourmet experience in the least, and no better than what we have experienced on Princess and Holland America."

Whenever traveling in foreign countries try to eat in local restaurants whenever possible. Sometimes a great restaurant meal will mitigate what has otherwise been a disappointing food experience. Here are some options:

If you are in Passau today, the best restaurant open there today for lunch is called Heilig-Geist-Stiftschenke. They are at Heiliggeistgasse 4, 94032 Passau

They are rated #2 in Passau.

If you are in Melk, then head to RathauskellerMilkRathausplatz 13 | 3390 Melk, Melk 3390, Austria for lunch. They are the #1 best

rated restaurant there.

If you are in Vienna, then head to Zum weissen Rauchfangkehrer at Weihburggasse 4, 1010 Wien, Austria This restaurant serves farm to table traditional Austrian cuisine. Again, this is one of the top 2 rated restaurants in Vienna.

goldenrod,

Hopefully you have read my post above and you are now sticking to fresh foods such as fruit, salad, freshly prepared omelets, soups, breads, cheeses, pastas, salumi's and local dishes. Also, I have seen others online who have mentioned that the Fish and Chips is not good. It is not just you. I suspect the problem is that the chef has to use a different species of fish than what is typically used in the US or UK. IMO, I would avoid a "mystery fish" dish such as Fish and Chips, especially when this is NOT a common dish in Germany or Austria or whatever country you are currently in.

It is possible that the chef on this ship is just not very good, so the eating strategy I have given you will mitigate that possible problem as much as possible.

I looked at other reviews of your ship and others HAVE been disappointed in the food:

"The cuisine was disappointing overall and had a relative lack of variety and ethnic diversity. While generally tasty, this was not a gourmet experience in the least, and no better than what we have experienced on Princess and Holland America."

Whenever traveling in foreign countries try to eat in local restaurants whenever possible. Sometimes a great restaurant meal will mitigate what has otherwise been a disappointing food experience. Here are some options:

If you are in Passau today, the best restaurant open there today for lunch is called Heilig-Geist-Stiftschenke. They are at Heiliggeistgasse 4, 94032 Passau

They are rated #2 in Passau.

If you are in Melk, then head to RathauskellerMilkRathausplatz 13 | 3390 Melk, Melk 3390, Austria for lunch. They are the #1 best

rated restaurant there.

If you are in Vienna, then head to Zum weissen Rauchfangkehrer at Weihburggasse 4, 1010 Wien, Austria This restaurant serves farm to table traditional Austrian cuisine. Again, this is one of the top 2 rated restaurants in Vienna.

Thanks for your input! We are in Vienna tomorrow. But had I know I would have to eat off the ship to get a good meal, we would have not booked this ship, we were booked on Uniworld but had to change because of date conflicts, would never do Viking again! Was just talking to a nice couple from Boston in the lounge, this is their 4 Viking and they said they are also not happy with the food, all others had been much better!

We are enjoying the ports tours and the very nice people we have met, but at $25 k for this 23 day cruise we were expecting a much higher level of food similar to what we were served on our 5 Regent cruises! We can't even get a shrimp cocktail and all the soups are like water, had the clam chowder Friday no flavor, could not find a clam!

Shrimp Cocktail is an American dish. I doubt they would make a good one. Incidentally, the original shrimp cocktail was shrimp in a mixture of catsup and vodka and people drank it. It actually came from a similar concoction that featured raw oysters. Clam chowder is also an American dish. The first settlers did not eat clams like the American Indians in the Northeast did. The settlers fed clams to their hogs. The first chowder was a layered dish that contained fish. It was not until 1841 that Clam Chowder first appeared in the US. The closest thing to chowder in Europe is Classic French Fish Soup which doesn't contain any pieces of fish at all. The stock contains fish bones and various vegetables which is completely pureed with a food mill to form watery juice. This is almost certainly why the Clam Chowder you had was the way it was when prepared by a chef trained in Europe.

I recall a trip in Israel where we were staying in a hotel that was Kosher. One of the teens with us wanted a chocolate milk shake and French Fries - and it was obvious from hearing her side of the conversation that the hotel room service had no idea what that was. They asked her how to make it and she told them "ice cream and chocolate sauce and fried potatoes." 30 minutes later room service dutifully delivered a teapot that contained ice and cream with chocolate sauce on the side with wedges of potatoes fried in olive oil. The expression on her face was priceless. LOL!

Say yes to Hungarian Goulash and the Bavarian Meat Plate and no to American food and get off the ship and eat locally when possible. I think you will enjoy your trip more.

We did not spend 25k to eat in local restaurants, the regional food on the ship have been very limited to non existent, shrimp cocktails first became popular in Great Britain in in the 60's. If they can't serve decent American and regional foods the should not serve them, Viking caters to a Senior American market, I'm sure they can hire chefs that can serve decent food of high quality!

Edited by goldenrod

"One person's steak is another person's poison." Yes?

Your table mates must really enjoy your assessment of the cuisine, and quality, or lack thereof, food and cuisine, and overall opinion of the cruise.

Just curious, having sailed on Regent, do you consider youself a "foodie"?

Thanks for your input! We are in Vienna tomorrow. But had I know I would have to eat off the ship to get a good meal, we would have not booked this ship, we were booked on Uniworld but had to change because of date conflicts, would never do Viking again! Was just talking to a nice couple from Boston in the lounge, this is their 4 Viking and they said they are also not happy with the food, all others had been much better!

I know after paying so much, it is hard to get beyond getting off the ship and eating in a restaurant, but to be honest, it is not all that unusual to do so. If you think about it, food is a huge part of the culture of each country and if you want to experience that, then the only way you really can do that is to go to restaurants onshore. Even though the food on Uniworld was really good, we regularly ate in restaurants onshore when time permitted for just this reason.

Congratulations on your anniversary. Try to focus on what is good about your trip and rise about this unfortunate food situation. As you have already spoken to the hotel director and not seen any improvement, it may be that between the Viking recipes, the chef onboard and the ingredients he/she has to work with, there is not much that can be done to improve things.

We did not spend 25k to eat in local restaurants, the regional food on the ship have been very limited to non existent, shrimp cocktails first became popular in Great Britain in in the 60's

That's one theory, but really, it more likely came from the US in the 1940's.

http://savagehenrymagazine.com/history-shrimp-cocktail/

Cocktail sauce as we know it today in the USA is typically:

catsup

horseradish

lemon juice

Worcesteshire sauce

Tabasco

Tabasco originated in Avery Island, LA. It's a very American ingredient.

Cocktail sauce in the UK and most of Europe consists of catsup and enough mayonnaise to make the sauce the same color as the prawns - this is called Marie Rose sauce. It tastes very similar to Thousand Island Dressing. This is why I told you that even if you ordered a Shrimp cocktail in Europe the chef would not do what you are expecting.

In regards to the chef, remember Viking has to hire people who can work in Europe legally and I'm sure there are employment laws that limit who they can hire, just like in the US. So they are pretty much stuck with European trained chefs and many of these chefs are not going to have any US experience at all. There are huge cultural food differences a European trained chef will not be aware of. While Viking caters to retired Americans, it appears they are struggling in terms of what food to serve which is probably a result of both the ingredients available and overall understanding of the American version of a food as compared to a European version of the food. I suppose a lot of passengers have complained that they want American food in Europe, which, if you think about it, is ridiculous. But then, look at the mass market cruise ships, all serving hamburgers, hot dogs, French Fries and pizza no matter where they cruise. (Yuck!)