Food on Viking Embla is horrible

goldenrod

I do not represent Viking Cruises. Why would you think I do? Because I have the ability to look on their website and find a service guarantee? It wasn't that difficult.

As to who I am, I am a frequent cruiser who has been a member of Cruise Critic for over 15 years and will occasionally read and respond to a thread that catches my eye for one reason or another.

Because of the way you cited Viking policy. As if the comments came from you as an official spokesperson, and not from Viking, Or if it was a Viking policy, why not post as an attachment?

Maybe because i'm old, your post was confusing. That's all.

Enjoy your cruise, and if God wills, grant you continued good health to live and not die before your next cruise.

Have a nice day.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

It appears that beloved American food seems to go down well on the Viking Embla, at least the OP's cruise

Well, here's one American who's becoming more and more interested in Croisieurope or any other European line. If I want to eat American food and be surrounded by other Americans, I can always stay home...

This particular cruiser is just not happy. And very likely not happy from day 1. And day 1 on this itinerary was on the ship. So if he had such a bad meal and bad time that first evening and he reported it to the guest services manager promptly and the next night it was not to j his satisfaction then yes I do believe he could have invoked that service guarantee. Obviously only if he knew about it. Viking personnel on the ship probably would not offer this unless he mentioned it. It has happened before. He would get a refund of his money and they would let him off the ship with his stuff at the fist available port. Then it would be up to him to find his way around. Not a perfect guarantee and it makes only some sense because of the timing involved. But the guest would make the determination. And if you are having such a miserable time then leaving the ship makes sense if you get the cost back for that. Unless of course the poster is only really miserable when he is not miserable.

We don't really know what Day 1 was for goldenrod. Viking DOES offer pre cruise hotel packages and airline packages - he may have had that for all we know. goldenrod has also NOT been entirely negative. He likes the people he has met and has said he is enjoying the tours. He also is NOT the only person who has said the food is not good.

Well, here's one American who's becoming more and more interested in Croisieurope or any other European line. If I want to eat American food and be surrounded by other Americans, I can always stay home...

I agree with you 100%. I would hate to be on a river cruise in Europe with ONLY Americans eating American food. I've been reading a lot of blogs on Viking and it seems many Viking guests DO eat onshore instead of on the ship. There are also quite a number who mentioned they wished Viking would provide at least one local entree every evening but that since Viking doesn't, they go to local restaurants whenever they can. There are a ton of restaurant recommendations in these blogs - it's really very interesting that this seems to be part of the culture of a river cruise with Viking.

I agree with you 100%. I would hate to be on a river cruise in Europe with ONLY Americans eating American food. I've been reading a lot of blogs on Viking and it seems many Viking guests DO eat onshore instead of on the ship. There are also quite a number who mentioned they wished Viking would provide at least one local entree every evening but that since Viking doesn't, they go to local restaurants whenever they can. There are a ton of restaurant recommendations in these blogs - it's really very interesting that this seems to be part of the culture of a river cruise with Viking.

So, in the heirarchy of European river cruise lines, Viking is more low to mid level in cuisine and wine/beer served? And does Viking cater more to North American cuisine and tastes? Is that because of the demographics of the PAX, and majority are from North America?

Because of the way you cited Viking policy. As if the comments came from you as an official spokesperson, and not from Viking, Or if it was a Viking policy, why not post as an attachment?

Maybe because i'm old, your post was confusing. That's all.

Enjoy your cruise, and if God wills, grant you continued good health to live and not die before your next cruise.

Have a nice day.

I'm old too so a simple copy and paste from their website seemed the easiest way.

So, in the heirarchy of European river cruise lines, Viking is more low to mid level in cuisine and wine/beer served? And does Viking cater more to North American cuisine and tastes? Is that because of the demographics of the PAX, and majority are from North America?

It seems so. And in Vikings defense perhaps they know what their clientele wants. Are the Viking cruisers world travelers with sophisticated tastes or is it first time in Europe? The average Viking cruiser has not taken several Regent cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Viking caters almost exclusively to the North American, Australian, and UK market. Their CEO has publicly stated they have no interest in other markets or even families. Couples from those markets, mostly senior couples, are their bread and butter.

But yes, Viking is positioned as a low to mid level river cruise line. More passengers per ship which usually translates into more passengers on tours. Service while usually good can often be slow. Food is better and more varied on some other lines. Optional excursions are available for a price while on some other lines optional excursions are included. Prices are typically lower than other lines which is going to be one of their draws. When you see a river cruise on Viking advertised for $4000 per person including flights and a similar itinerary on another line is $4000 without flights then for a good number of people that is as far as they will go with the research. It's a river cruise and they go to the same places so they must be the same experience. But that is not the case.

And I happen to agree with many of the OP's statements. I was on my second Viking river cruise last week on the Rhine. The menus were not geared toward the region. One night was chicken and waffles for goodness sakes. So I ordered what I wanted and for many lunches and a couple of dinners I ate off the ship. The wines were not matched to the region and the red was the Malbec that the OP posted and the white was a Savignon Blanc I believe. But they do have very good wines available for an extra cost. So I got the Silver Spirits package and ordered the wine I wanted. Or in a couple of cases bought bottles of wine while ashore and brought my own bottles for the table with me in the evening.

We don't really know what Day 1 was for goldenrod. Viking DOES offer pre cruise hotel packages and airline packages - he may have had that for all we know. goldenrod has also NOT been entirely negative. He likes the people he has met and has said he is enjoying the tours. He also is NOT the only person who has said the food is not good.

There are lots of things we don't really know. Tons really. About anything and everything. I simply offered the service guarantee that Viking offers as an option he could have invoked if the circumstances permitted.

Viking caters almost exclusively to the North American, Australian, and UK market. Their CEO has publicly stated they have no interest in other markets or even families. Couples from those markets, mostly senior couples, are their bread and butter.

But yes, Viking is positioned as a low to mid level river cruise line. More passengers per ship which usually translates into more passengers on tours. Service while usually good can often be slow. Food is better and more varied on some other lines. Optional excursions are available for a price while on some other lines optional excursions are included. Prices are typically lower than other lines which is going to be one of their draws. When you see a river cruise on Viking advertised for $4000 per person including flights and a similar itinerary on another line is $4000 without flights then for a good number of people that is as far as they will go with the research. It's a river cruise and they go to the same places so they must be the same experience. But that is not the case.

And I happen to agree with many of the OP's statements. I was on my second Viking river cruise last week on the Rhine. The menus were not geared toward the region. One night was chicken and waffles for goodness sakes. So I ordered what I wanted and for many lunches and a couple of dinners I ate off the ship. The wines were not matched to the region and the red was the Malbec that the OP posted and the white was a Savignon Blanc I believe. But they do have very good wines available for an extra cost. So I got the Silver Spirits package and ordered the wine I wanted. Or in a couple of cases bought bottles of wine while ashore and brought my own bottles for the table with me in the evening.

Thank you.

Chicken and waffles for dinner? :rolleyes:Sorry, I don't want to have that for dinner, if I'm on a European river cruise. I would expect fresh, local or regional cusine, I'm sure wine and beer lovers expect the same with their drink. What were some of the other entrees? And , in your opinion, how was the quality? Well prepared?

Although I realize there is more to cruising ie cultural and historical experiences, than just cusine, I may have to scratch Viking off my short list, for a first time European river cruise experience, in part because of their pricing structure.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Thank you.

Chicken and waffles for dinner? :rolleyes:Sorry, I don't want to have that for dinner, if I'm on a European river cruise. I would expect fresh, local or regional cusine, I'm sure wine and beer lovers expect the same with their drink. What were some of the other entrees? And , in your opinion, how was the quality? Well prepared?

Although I realize there is more to cruising ie cultural and historical experiences, than just cusine, I may have to scratch Viking off my short list, for a first time European river cruise experience, in part because of their pricing structure.

The chicken and waffles night I ordered from the anytime available side of the menu and there was a ribeye steak there. I did not expect much from the steak but it was actually quite tasty.

I don't remember a lot of the food and most was average although occasionally something was quite good. But only a couple or three nights was it really anything that might be local to the region. One day we can back for lunch and it was fajitas on the Aqua Vit terrace. Now I paired my fajita with a Bitburger so at least the beer was local to the region. But the way I look at it is I was in Europe on a beautiful sunny day sitting on a terrace on a river cruise ship eating fajitas and drinking Bitburger. Not perfect to experience the area maybe but it beats a day at work. And if the non-regional food and/or beer and wine bothered me then I ate more off the ship and bought the drink package and then bought some local wine and brought it on the ship.

My first Viking river cruise was 4 or 5 years ago and the food was more regional then. So they have apparently changed in that respect.

Honestly Viking would not be my first choice for a river cruise. I think there are others that do a better job. AmaWaterways is an example and I have sailed with them on multiple times and each one was great. Regional food, local wine, all was great. A little more expensive on most itineraries but better food, better service, optional excursions included. Bikes are onboard if you like that.

And before you ask, I do not work for AmaWaterways either :D

The food tonight was filet and two average size shrimp, it was supposed to be lobster and scallops, the wife made a special order for pork loin that was totally over cooked! This has been the worst food we have had on any cruise ever! And we have been on 36 Ocean cruises and the river trip. We are totally done with Viking. And could care less what other posters say!

The food tonight was filet and two average size shrimp, it was supposed to be lobster and scallops, the wife made a special order for pork loin that was totally over cooked! This has been the worst food we have had on any cruise ever! And we have been on 36 Ocean cruises and the river trip. We are totally done with Viking. And could care less what other posters say!

Are there cruisers getting off your ship tomorrow? The reason I ask is that I was on Yelp.com today reading reviews of Viking (:( ) and one poster mentioned that there was a special dinner as some people are getting off the ship tomorrow and they were supposed to have filet and lobster, but all they got was filet and shrimp.

Thanks for this thread golden rod. It turned out a lot more interesting than I expected

.Has given lots of us food for thought I`m sure,

A Gate 1 Rhine cruise in a couple of weeks will be our first river cruise apart from a Russian one that we knew would be pretty basic.

We`ve paid nothing like you so will be interested to see what our meals and experience are like.

I`m another who`s pretty flexible as long as I get what I expected after doing the research.

Denny girl, I think you hit the nail on the head, 'as long as I get what I expected after doing the research' it doesn't appear goldenrod did the research.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In my research for a first time European river cruise this is what I read in the Viking brochure https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/why-viking/index.html

(Picture a nice thick juicy filet mignon steak with fresh vegetables)

"DESTINATION-FOCUSED DINING. Whatever your tastes, we believe dining is an important part of your journey, both on shore and on board. Our highly trained chefs are passionate about food and committed to providing an enriching culinary experience, whether you’re savoring authentic regional specialties or American classics."

And this is apparently not what goldenrod is getting for his 25K.

"I cruise to eat healthy, and to have a slice of apple pie everyday before I die."

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Are there cruisers getting off your ship tomorrow? The reason I ask is that I was on Yelp.com today reading reviews of Viking (:( ) and one poster mentioned that there was a special dinner as some people are getting off the ship tomorrow and they were supposed to have filet and lobster, but all they got was filet and shrimp.

Yes most are getting off tomorrow about 20 will continue on to Bucharest with a new group, the dinner last night was the farewell dinner for those getting off, and yes it was supposed to be steak, lobster, Scallops but they did not arrive so it was a very tiny filet and two medium shrimp! Totally disappointed! Could have gotten a better meal a Sizzler!

I'm not sure if this comment applies to Viking, but I am aware that wine-themed cruises on other river cruise lines follow this pattern. My understanding is that these are actually subtle co-marketing cruises: the American winery advertises the sailing through its wine club and other mailing lists, thereby bringing new customers who may never have thought of taking a river cruise [and who may never have even heard of the cruise line]. That also allows the cruise line to offer these "enrichment" cruises at no additional cost [because the American winery is providing the tasting wines and lots of new customers]. If you look at it that way, it makes a lot of sense.

Hello hostjazzbeau,

I agree it is good marketing and makes perfect sense. I am sure both passengers and winery get a lot from it. I was referring to an article I read on cruisecritic. Senior editor Chris was on an Amawaterways cruise last November where there was a winery from Boston on board with many cruisers "recruited" because of their membership in a wine club. Before I read the article I thought "what a nice idea, getting a local vintner or perhaps even two to show their wines, it is good for supporting local trade". I was disappointed to find out out that is was an American winery Ama was supporting.

notamermaid

Langoustine,

that is certainly a thought. On my river cruise the food was German-European with a vegetarian option both at lunch and dinner. In Vienna we had Austrian wines on the menu, got Apfelstrudel (sublime) for dessert and in Budapest we were offered a dish with paprika/peppers, of course. I remember there being German and French wines to choose from.

However, with the food it is a two-edged sword (o.k. I am being a little dramatic). Lunch and dinner were quite reglemented, we had to choose at breakfast what we wanted for lunch and dinner and were seated with people the restaurant director thought we would get on with. We did, we had a great time, the six of us, mixing German and English with me being the translator usually. :)

On CroisiEurope it is somewhat similar with bi-lingual, just throw more French people into the mix on some cruises, making it in essence tri-lingual. I am not sure how they do it in practice, but others can tell you how it works, they have travelled with them. Food choice as regards variety and flexibility is not their strongpoint, being similarly regimented as on my cruise, but very good (mostly) from what I remember from past cruisers here on CC, but instead of German you get the French influence. CroisiEurope is based in Strassbourg. For the cruises offered to the North-American market they might have made some changes in the last few years. Not sure about being seated or choosing your own table.

On Arosa they have opened the lunch to buffet-style and them being German I reckon the food will have that as a base but French and Italian style dishes might well be on the menu. Especially when sailing near France I expect them to add a regional touch. Arosa has dedicated cruises that they offer on the North-American market but they are nevertheless open to Europeans. Those cruises were marked in last year's brochure as "having international guests on board".

I myself am leaning towards trying out Riviera Travel from the UK. Mainly because I am an anglophile and would like to see how they do run their cruises. As we Germans tend to think that English food is "not very good" and that the British are unadventurous, taking a tin of baked beans when they go on holidays ;) , I would love to see their menus and compare them to my river cruising experience on the Belvedere. Contrary to many of my folks I like lamb with mint sauce.

Pulled pork I have now looked up on wikipedia and it hurts my German eye to see a pork roast treated such. I am sure it tastes great though, done well. Chicken with waffles?? My goodness.

In fairness, please look at what past cruisers have said about the food on the other North-American lines. Some menus might be online and you can check then if there is enough European stuff for you to try.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
spelling

Slow roasted pulled pork is delicious, as is chicken and waffles. Y'all are welcome to come to Nashville and I'll show you around the culinary scene, including our famous Nashville hot chicken.

While I like pulled pork and chicken and waffles, I wouldn't expect them to appear on the menu of a European river cruise. My one and only river cruise was on Uniworld, and there was definitely an effort to include regional specialties, including wines.

A filet with 2 giant prawns can be quite tasty if properly cooked.

Roz

Notamermaid, my husband and I were on the Viking Tor in December sailing on the Main. I was really disappointed with the included wine, some night the usual Grüner Vetliner and Austrian Red, the rest was South American wines. No Silvaner, which is a shame as that is a favorite wine of the region we were sailing. Also we did have egg roll, appetizers, and yes the infamous Chicken with Waffles. That night I actually ordered the steak from the everyday Menü. Not much pork was served except for German night. Since it was our 7th Viking cruise it was easy to compare. Two years before on the Kara same cruise we had much better food and local wines. Also I have Never seen lobster on any Viking river cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Roz,

Nashville hot chicken sounds really interesting, I like marinated meat. The music scene in your area is famous with German people.

rcaruso,

you did not get to taste Franconian wine onboard? That is really a disappointment. I do wonder if the corporate is not getting a bit too big and makes it difficult to allow regional variation on the ships.

For people's interest: http://www.franconian-wine-country.com/?forceLanguage

notamermaid

Notamermaid, we get many visitors in Nashville from Germany. I was surprised when I was in Rudesheim and Heidelburg back in the mid-80s at how popular country music is in Germany. I'm assuming it was introduced to the German people by American soldiers stationed there.

Roz

Slow roasted pulled pork is delicious, as is chicken and waffles. Y'all are welcome to come to Nashville and I'll show you around the culinary scene, including our famous Nashville hot chicken.

While I like pulled pork and chicken and waffles, I wouldn't expect them to appear on the menu of a European river cruise. My one and only river cruise was on Uniworld, and there was definitely an effort to include regional specialties, including wines.

A filet with 2 giant prawns can be quite tasty if properly cooked.

Roz

Roz, being from Birmingham, Alabama I'm in total agreement with you on pulled pork, chicken and waffles and Nashville hot chicken (we have a Hattie B's now😉). We love these, but I am not going on our River cruise in June to eat the foods I can eat at home - another place I agree with you.

We will be on the AmaDante on the Europe's Rivers and Castles from Nuremberg to Luxembourg; based on all I've read of the food and wine on AMA, I believe we'll be very happy with foods and wines of the region.

It would be very disappointing to not experience regional tastes.