Over 21 Ship?

EBFURR

I have been thinking about this for years and maybe someone else has mentioned it on here before but I didn't see it. We have older children now and enjoyed many cruises with them over the years. We first took them when they were 3 and 6 & we found that they were really too young (not as many kids facilities in those days). We took them again many times when they were preteen up to high school and beyond & they were great family vacations. As "empty nesters" we now find that we like a more kid free environment for vacations. We are not anti-kid by any means, we are just past that stage and prefer an adult environment. We do not at all resent families being on board; we understand and appreciate the desire to have family together.

We have friends who go to the "over 21" all inclusive land resorts and they enjoy it. We have considered that, but we love cruising and would miss the sea. We are thinking that RCI could take the concept and apply it to one of their smaller ships (Majesty or Enchantment would be ideal) and have an over 21 cruise ship. They could re-purpose the kids area into specialty dining or the like and cater to those who are cruising without kids. It would probably make a nice honeymoon experience and also be good for younger folks that have not yet started a family as well us more seasoned cruisers.

Anyone else considered this? Thoughts?

Not a bad idea. If you go at the right time on the right ship it is virtually an over 21 cruise. I know it's not the same because there will always be a few kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Right, and in the "old days" there were fewer as well. It seems that our work schedules always seem to dictate a high volume month. We do have one booked next January which is our first in that time of year. We will see how that compares.

Thanks for that. I sort of expected it since it sounds like I am coming off as an "old fart" which I really am not. The post was not intended to be a criticism of RCI or a slight to the loyalists (we are pretty loyal ourselves). To my knowledge Holland America does not have any over 21 ships either. I know this is not the norm for cruise lines but the land based resorts do well and I think the concept would catch on. It would never replace the family cruises but would provide an alternative.

Have you ever sailed right after Labor Day? We've done that a few times and enjoy it. Most American kids have just gone back to school so cruises tend to be mostly adults.

Also, longer cruises (9+ nights) tend to be mostly adults as well, especially during the school year.

Have you ever sailed right after Labor Day? We've done that a few times and enjoy it. Most American kids have just gone back to school so cruises tend to be mostly adults.

Also, longer cruises (9+ nights) tend to be mostly adults as well, especially during the school year.

Actually we have not. Our anniversary is Aug 28 and we like to take a vacation that week. We always have Labor Day as a wind down (read unpack and do laundry) day when we get back. We are looking at doing a later cruise though. They tend to be better priced as well. The concept is also about utilizing the older ships that do not have as many areas and activities for the youngsters as well. It might be an alternative to selling them off and make a nice niche market. I can't believe we are the only ones who would like this sort of cruise but that is why I bring it up.

I remember reading about one of the river cruise lines recently who are doing over 18 cruises but I can't remember which one. But then river cruises generally have less kids on them anyway. I doubt we'll see Royal doing this since they pride themselves on being a cruise line for families.

Not charters - 3 ships with no kids, geared towards adults! Not sailed on them myself, know a couple of people who have though.

http://www.pocruises.com/cruise-ships/arcadia/

http://www.pocruises.com/cruise-ships/oriana/

http://www.pocruises.com/cruise-ships/adonia/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

It's NOT going to happen...so get that out of you head right now! They could do a "charter"...but that's only 1 sailing. They need to fill the ship to make money, so having only 2 per cabin is not fiscally responsible for the business.

Viking Ocean. Here is a quote from the Cruise Critic review: " Viking Oceans is unabashedly not oriented to families with young children. The minimum age to sail is 16, and no activities onboard are arranged for children."

Sounds like a possibility.

Actually, that would not be accurate. A few yrs ago we got a great last minute deal on a 7 day Holland cruise out of San Diego. Jumped at the deal and our 1st chance to try Holland. Cruise was mid Feb. Given the cruise line and time of year we expected no kids. WRONG! Wall to wall kids! Come to find out on the west coast many spring breaks are Presidents Day wk and the ship was packed! In TX our spring breaks are mid to late March and we don't have kids ourselves so was quite a surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Love the idea!!!

We've found a great time to go, with minimal kids around, is the first week in December... However, DH prefers to get away "in the middle of winter", so we have been sticking to Feb lately...

Try January, preferably right after school starts after the holiday break. Kids will be back in school which should minimize anything other than very young ones.

I love adults only vacations when we can leave DS (age 6) at home with family!! I wonder if the more pricey lines like crystal, or other smaller ships have less kids? I always thought we'd try one of those when we don't bring DS for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums