shore excursion credit onboard?

nancydow

I have the shore excursion credit as one of my perks. Has anyone successfully received OBC for any ports where you did NOT take an excursion? My CAS contact suggested that I might be able to do this, but I've gotten misinformation from NCL reps before ... TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

here is the fine print on the credit:

$50 Per Port Shore Excursion Credit:

$50 USD per port shore excursion credit is per stateroom.

Credit has no monetary value and is nonrefundable.

In the event a port of call or excursion is missed, for any reason, no refund or credit will be issued.

Shore excursion credit is applicable for each port, including debarkation port, and is not transferable to other ports. Use the credit or lose it.

Does not include embarkation ports. Overnight stays count as one port, except Bermuda sailings which can receive up to 3 individual days of shore excursion.

Shore excursion credit can only be redeemed by calling 1-866-625-1167 or booking onboard.

• 9 months later...
How does this work since when I booked my excursions I needed to prepay? Will I get my $50/excursion credited back to my cc or as obc? I am very confused on how this works. Thanks in advance!

This is a common question, and the best answer seems to be phoning the shorex dept. and making a reservation, which would then be charged to your onboard account. Then you would receive the $50 credit after you went on the excursion. Not sure what you can do at this point besides call the shore excursion dept. and see if they can credit you back and just leave a reservation in place.

How does this work since when I booked my excursions I needed to prepay? Will I get my $50/excursion credited back to my cc or as obc? I am very confused on how this works. Thanks in advance!

Now I don't know if the NCL rep was full of crap or not but they told me I just book online and pay like normal. Then after I take the excursion the $50 will be refunded by the method of payment used to make the excursion. It doesn't got into OBC, it will go back onto your credit card.

We were told that the $50 would be credited to our account as refundable OBC. We booked a cabana, so we were not going to wait until we were on board to do that.

We sail in about a month and I'll try to remember to come back and post what happens.

Now I don't know if the NCL rep was full of crap or not but they told me I just book online and pay like normal. Then after I take the excursion the $50 will be refunded by the method of payment used to make the excursion. It doesn't got into OBC, it will go back onto your credit card.

According to Terms & Conditions you do not book online so you do not pre-pay. You book either by phoning Shorex to make reservation or you book onboard. In either case it is billed to your shipboardaccount and after you take the Excursion they credit $50 to your account.

This is same as discounting the Excursion by $50 but some people refer to it as OBC.

Correct - we have used the credit on some excursions durning our past two cruises.

You call Shorex and make the reservation thru them - in our case we were also plat plus so there is a latitude tier discount - you do not pay in advance.

Once you have completed the tour you will see both the original tour cost and a $50.00 credit per port not pp. Should you cancel that particular excursion there will be no credit. It’s basically use it or loose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have the shore excursion credit as one of my perks. Has anyone successfully received OBC for any ports where you did NOT take an excursion? My CAS contact suggested that I might be able to do this, but I've gotten misinformation from NCL reps before ... TIA!

You get the credit once you book and complete the SoreEx. No ShoreEx, no credit.

Read the terms and conditions. Even posted above.

Shore excursion credit can only be redeemed by calling 1-866-625-1167 or booking onboard.

Hi all - I just called the shore excursion department and they said that since I prepaid, I will receive $50 OBC after each excursion takes place during the week. I know there was some conflicting information, so I will report in again after our cruise next month. Happy sailing!

Hi all - I just called the shore excursion department and they said that since I prepaid, I will receive $50 OBC after each excursion takes place during the week. I know there was some conflicting information, so I will report in again after our cruise next month. Happy sailing!

Thank You!

It is our first time opting for the Shore Excursion Credit, and i booked my excursions online - like i have done every time in the past - assuming the discount would be applied when I went to pay.

It was not.

Now I will have to call, as you did, and see what they say. I may just cancel and re-book if it turns into a hassle. (Not really sure I trust they will give the credit AFTER the tour.)

We just like having everything paid for in advance......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes. That is correct. But you have to remember to use the OBC which sometimes does not show up until the last day of the cruise. Yeah, they said that it will be credited as you take the excursions, but our experience is that over 50% of the time, it shows up late and you don't remember to use it.

We were told that the $50 would be credited to our account as refundable OBC. We booked a cabana, so we were not going to wait until we were on board to do that.

We sail in about a month and I'll try to remember to come back and post what happens.

I just booked a small cabana online and the $50 was automatically deducted from the price. I was quite impressed! :)

Yes. That is correct. But you have to remember to use the OBC which sometimes does not show up until the last day of the cruise. Yeah, they said that it will be credited as you take the excursions, but our experience is that over 50% of the time, it shows up late and you don't remember to use it.

But I thought this $50 that was going to be credited to us was refundable OBC? We're hoping so. We have a pretty big chunk of non-refundable OBC ($900) to use on next month's cruise. Especially if it is going to show up late, I don't want to be scrambling to spend it the last day.

I saw this discussion yesterday and got worried about my own excursions, so I called NCL a short while ago (after a long hold). The woman who answered said I don't need to rebook over the phone to get the credit (we'll see!).

She said that if you do it over the phone, they'll apply the credit when they book it, and then you'll pay the discounted fare on the cruise (or after, technically, with the final bill). If you do it online, you pay the full price upfront and then they credit you the discount later. Of course, it's not OBC--I assume they just refund your credit card or subtract it from your final amount owed (after OBC's been applied).

She said that if you do it over the phone, they'll apply the credit when they book it, and then you'll pay the discounted fare on the cruise (or after, technically, with the final bill). If you do it online, you pay the full price upfront and then they credit you the discount later. Of course, it's not OBC--I assume they just refund your credit card or subtract it from your final amount owed (after OBC's been applied).

So far no one has been able to show the exact method by which the refund is applied if you actually pay for the excursions up-front. It would be nice if someone who has already cruised and had this happen how about explaining what occurred,

Whatever the situation I suggest everyone keeps an eye on their folio throughout the cruise as it can become very complicated. We booked a cruise in Jan 2017 to be taken in Oct 2017 and there were large numbers of postings on our folio as the Platinum Plus rebate had to be claimed when we boarded. For every shorex there were at least 4 entries!!! For one there was even more as we had a further rebate when a snack didn't eventuate.

Caveat Emptor.

When we booked our next cruise (April 2018) back in Nov, we got the ShoreEx as one of the promos. BUT when we went online and booked some excursions the final price came already deducted by 15% as we are Plat +. Example: we booked 2 ppl on a tour in one port costing $99 per person, the final price total was $168.30 which was charged to our credit card.

So I expect to see $50 credit on our OBA for each port we are taking the ship's excursion. Hope to find something to spend the $50 for!!

So $50 plus 15% savings for ship's excursion per port sound a good deal to us.

Edited by bluesea777