Any loyal Carnival cruisers tried NCL?

thegoodlife247

For about the last 6 months they have been giving the inside cabin 1 choice where in the past you had to at least book an outside to get the 2 choices.

I was on the Getaway in February 2016 in an aft balcony and didn't encounter that scenario either.

I have not seen the scenario you speak of. Maybe when the free at sea started it may have been like you say. How long ago was it that you encountered the gtys?

Bill

Yes, they did limit the availability of the promo in the past and the fact that they have extended it to insides indicates that they may be having trouble filling cabins, which of course usually leads to lower fares for those able to book closer to the cruise date (even though it is something that Del Rio is loathe to do).

Actually, if you're able, NCL does offer some very good last minute deals, sometimes even with the free at sea. I was thisclose to booking one in May on the Gem out of NY, but, decided to keep my land vacay on Pensacola Beach. Carnival, not near as much and certainly not at discount pricing!

You do need to compare like with like to get a true comparison between the different lines and costs. My Journey cruise next November on the Pride, even with purchasing the drink package and internet separately is still cheaper than the 14 day cruise on NCL out of Boston, and not by just a little. I don't worry about the 15 drink limit as there is no way I could drink that many every day and live to tell the tale!

Food is very subjective, but, we find that Carnival has better food, especially the included options, at least on the different vessels we've all been on, but, you won't go hungry on any of them! Entertainment shows, NCL has the edge, comedy shows Carnival, but, I don't cruise for shows so it's not something I necessarily consider. NCL usually have more pay to eat venues and sometimes more 'things', especially the larger ships. RCL is more of the same, depending on the vessel. We don't find major difference across the 3 of them other than decor and of course, unless you sail the mega ships. Some may disagree, but, we're not loyal to any one line, just to what we want and when we want to sail!

Funny, I had this conversation with my sister yesterday, while their family (young adults) might enjoy the larger ships for the extra stuff, I prefer the smaller as it's about the relaxation, water and ocean for me, not finding something to keep me busy every day, all day/night long. Plus, I typically vacation in May and Sep/Oct and Carnival seems to have many more options in North America than any other line, so I do tend to come back to Carnival.

Edited by aztekpm

Food options are way worse on NCL, dining takes way too long there as well. Positive is the entertainment blows Carnival away

Of the big 3, CCL has the worst food, easily.

Of course, I don't want to eat burgers and fries on a cruise. So if that is your preference, then I can see how CCL would be a better fit.

I find the food in the buffet and MDR to be much better on NCL. Haven't done the specialty restaurants for either though.
But the NCL ships do not have anything comparable to Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana Cantina, Mongolian Wok and Seaday Brunch.

Of the big 3, CCL has the worst food, easily.

Of course, I don't want to eat burgers and fries on a cruise. So if that is your preference, then I can see how CCL would be a better fit.

So, you're stating that the Carnival Steakhouse is worse than Cagney's and Chops?

But the NCL ships do not have anything comparable to Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana Cantina, Mongolian Wok and Seaday Brunch.

I eat exclusively at the MDR. I don't do specialty restaurants either.

I don't like eating burgers and fries, tacos, and etc. on a cruise as I can get all that stuff on land back home.

To that argument, you can get any food found in any MDR on land as well, usually fresher and better tasting, as its not being mass prepared for approx. 3000 people. However, everyone likes what they like, there should be no shame in people's choices.

To that end, my mother grew up on the coast and snails were a dime a dozen, but not eaten back in her day. She says when she thinks about snails, she sees the 'snail' trail and their antennae, LOL, so she would never contemplate eating one, while others find it a delicacy, my nephew included. So what one loves another doesn't and vice versa, it doesn't make one's choices better than another's.

To that argument, you can get any food found in any MDR on land as well, usually fresher and better tasting, as its not being mass prepared for approx. 3000 people. However, everyone likes what they like, there should be no shame in people's choices.

To that end, my mother grew up on the coast and snails were a dime a dozen, but not eaten back in her day. She says when she thinks about snails, she sees the 'snail' trail and their antennae, LOL, so she would never contemplate eating one, while others find it a delicacy, my nephew included. So what one loves another doesn't and vice versa, it doesn't make one's choices better than another's.

My point was that for some, these kind of different ethnic food options are not available to everyone in their hometown. So for them, trying these things out in the specialty dining areas on the cruise ship is a fun and enlightening exp for them. For me, it isn't as I live in a place that has everything.

If I am going to be upcharged for both lunch and dinner, then I would rather cruise on other lines with better food that fits my needs.

I understand if others like burgers more. I don't. And I understand. Esp with younger children, I can definitely understand how their experience influences the parents.

I don't like eating burgers and fries, tacos, and etc. on a cruise as I can get all that stuff on land back home.

Pretty much everything you can get on a cruise ship you can get better at home....

My point was that for some, these kind of different ethnic food options are not available to everyone in their hometown. So for them, trying these things out in the specialty dining areas on the cruise ship is a fun and enlightening exp for them. For me, it isn't as I live in a place that has everything.

If I am going to be upcharged for both lunch and dinner, then I would rather cruise on other lines with better food that fits my needs.

I understand if others like burgers more. I don't. And I understand. Esp with younger children, I can definitely understand how their experience influences the parents.

Gotcha! Definitely understand and I am one (along with other friends and family members) that's willing to expand my horizons too. Now my sister and a couple of my friends... no, LOL not going to happen anywhere, anyhow, anytime! However, Carnival does have those options and actually does a pretty good job with them.

So, you're stating that the Carnival Steakhouse is worse than Cagney's and Chops?

In mine I was only talking about free options and dining room for dinner -Guys, Iguana are quality lunch options while Irish Bar on NCK is pretty good for NCL

In my opinion, Carnival Steakhouse is the best steakhouse at sea. It's hard to top the ambiance of the Waterfront dining on NCL's "Away" ships but regarding food taste, I don't think Cagney's nor Chops can touch Steakhouse. Chops used to be good but they butchered the menu. I won't even eat there anymore.

As far as the free food, I think NCL is the worst. I'd rate CCL and RCI exactly the same, with RCI having a slight advantage at the buffet and room service.

In my opinion, Carnival Steakhouse is the best steakhouse at sea. It's hard to top the ambiance of the Waterfront dining on NCL's "Away" ships but regarding food taste, I don't think Cagney's nor Chops can touch Steakhouse. Chops used to be good but they butchered the menu. I won't even eat there anymore.

As far as the free food, I think NCL is the worst. I'd rate CCL and RCI exactly the same, with RCI having a slight advantage at the buffet and room service.

I agree with everything you say here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with everything you say here.

Jimbo5544 - I see you compare NCL negatively with Carnival quite a bit - which is fair if that's your experience. But when I checked out your signature, I didn't see an NCL cruise in your history. Just curious which ship was that bad that you haven't listed it? (And I'm genuinely asking - I know know text doesn't convey sincerity vs sarcasm.) I've had good and bad sailings on both NCL and CCL, but I would never completely rule one out - curious which ship and when NCL turned you off of sailing with them.

In my opinion, NCL was the worst cruise line at sea. That is, until they made Breakaway. Unlike Carnival, who keeps building the same old ship since Conquest, NCL came out with something totally new and revived their brand.

Granted, it took 2 tries because Epic was a failure.

Yes. Give a new NCL ship a try.

Jimbo5544 - I see you compare NCL negatively with Carnival quite a bit - which is fair if that's your experience. But when I checked out your signature, I didn't see an NCL cruise in your history. Just curious which ship was that bad that you haven't listed it? (And I'm genuinely asking - I know know text doesn't convey sincerity vs sarcasm.) I've had good and bad sailings on both NCL and CCL, but I would never completely rule one out - curious which ship and when NCL turned you off of sailing with them.

I am a TA and have been in over 7 ncl ships and sampled their food seen their rooms and even done a 2 day voyage (free-which is why it does not show in my list, same for free sailings on Carnival, Royal and HAL).

I also base my comments on our clients and their feedback. There is more.......

I agree the Nickel and Dime ship for sure, although they all have gotten worse.. and cut down on lots of nice thing in the past three or four years.

I

In my experience, NCL's biggest negatives are the free food (MDRs) and their nickel and dime culture. They're the worst in the business at money grabs. I always call them the Spirit Airlines of cruising. Also, no one steers you toward specialty restaurants like NCL. And to make matter worse, if you don't have the package, their specialty dining is ala cart pricing, and they add an 18% gratuity on top.

But those negatives aside, NCL has excellent entertainment and from what I've seen, they put more effort into their main productions shows than Carnival.

I am a TA and have been in over 7 ncl ships and sampled their food seen their rooms and even done a 2 day voyage (free-which is why it does not show in my list, same for free sailings on Carnival, Royal and HAL).

Can you explain why you think carnival is your go to? Specifics please

Here's a newsflash for you.... I can get everything that they serve in the MDR in multiple restaurants at home.

Not loyal to any ! We place more value in what is "best" for us i.e. Iteniery, price, time of year.

Food is so suggestive as you can see that it becomes "crazy".

We have had "bad " food on CCL, RCI, and NCL but certainly didn't go hungry.

You aren't in your cabin long enough so the size debate is kinda mute. Yes NCL Epic is a strange set up but not nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

The biggest thing a cruise is what "YOU" make it to be.

Our last cruise on NCL Escape was our BEST of the 9 we've done. Going on Vista in May 2018 because it does the Southern which we've never done before. And fits the timeframe.

Fair enough. Although you know as well as I do that a visit or 2 day cruise is extremely different in every way from a longer cruise. If I formed an opinion of Carnival or RCCL based on 3 day sailings only, I don't know if I'd go back to them either though. Enjoy your future cruises! :)

The biggest thing a cruise is what "YOU" make it to be.

That's probably the Cruise Critic cliche I disagree with the most....right up there with "the cruise lines are more similar than different." When I drop thousands of dollars on a cruise vacation, I expect it to be what they make of it, not me. If I have to make the vacation, then they failed somewhere.