Who is HAL's new breed of customers?

EDLOS

I don't understand why you are trying to come up with cruises that would keep HAL in the U.S. The draw of HAL is that it does cruise to every part of the world and does it in medium size ships. When HAL leaves the Caribbean in the spring, it goes to the South Pacific, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. Why are you trying to come up with other scenarios? I think that the only other mass market line that covers as much territory is Cunard, and they are more expensive.

Are you saying hal should have no cruises from the USA? Hal pulled the Oosterdam from Europe this year because sales are softer for Europe than Alaska. Whie it may be easier for people that are retired to make long treks to cruise ships that may not be practical to those of us that are still working.

I don't understand why you are trying to come up with cruises that would keep HAL in the U.S. The draw of HAL is that it does cruise to every part of the world and does it in medium size ships. When HAL leaves the Caribbean in the spring, it goes to the South Pacific, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. Why are you trying to come up with other scenarios? I think that the only other mass market line that covers as much territory is Cunard, and they are more expensive.

HAL goes to Alaska from the Caribbean in the Spring for some of those ships - not all come from the Far East, Europe, Middle East. To keep HAL in the US, cruising Alaska, those ships have to come from somewhere... There must be some reason that HAL does the Caribbean and Alaska. I don't think the Mexican Riviera is enough of a draw to port more than it does already on the West Coast and then move those ships to Alaska.

I guess I'll just leave the decisions on what to do with HAL to the actual corporation and believe they are doing what they do for the best ROI to stockholders and not to a minuscule sampling of HAL cheerleaders on a website. I was truly looking forward to more cruises on HAL, thanks to some nice people on here, like POA1 and RuthC, but now...

Are you saying hal should have no cruises from the USA? Hal pulled the Oosterdam from Europe this year because sales are softer for Europe than Alaska. Whie it may be easier for people that are retired to make long treks to cruise ships that may not be practical to those of us that are still working.

There are many other cruise lines besides HAL to choose from, for those wanting US departures. Lots of inventory. Wish the 2016 CCL Annual Report did a breakdown of offerings and revenue analysis between CCL's various brands.

There are many other cruise lines besides HAL to choose from, for those wanting US departures. Lots of inventory. Wish the 2016 CCL Annual Report did a breakdown of offerings and revenue analysis between CCL's various brands.

Get the 10-K and 10-Q.

Get the 10-K and 10-Q.

Thanks for the tip. Fascinating stuff.

VII. Seasonality

Our revenues from the sale of passenger tickets are seasonal. Historically, demand for cruises has been greatest during our third quarter, which includes theNorthern Hemisphere summer months.

This higher demand during the third quarter results in higher ticket prices and occupancy levels and, accordingly, thelargest share of our operating income is earned during this period. The seasonality of our results also increases due to ships being taken out-of-service formaintenance, which we schedule during non-peak demand periods.

In addition, substantially all of Holland America Princess Alaska Tours’ revenue and netincome is generated from May through September in conjunction with the Alaska cruise season.

This represents the source of the next generation of HAL cruisers: as people finally "grow up", they finally become less impressed with the "wow factor" people often mention when discussing the mega-ships of NCL and Royal Caribbean, and they start to appreciate the quality of comfort, service, and design on HAL ships -- as well as being among other grown-ups who have gotten past the "wow factor" stage.

Different people like different things and we all have to make our choices based on the available options. I don't sail NCL because of any "wow factor" I just don't want to be hit with a $1000 bar bill at the end of the week. Right now, NCL is the only mass-market line that includes unlimited drinks in their cruise fare.

I am very interested in HAL's itineraries, though, so I'm very much hoping they will bring back their Explore 4 promotion this summer!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

Different people like different things and we all have to make our choices based on the available options. I don't sail NCL because of any "wow factor" I just don't want to be hit with a $1000 bar bill at the end of the week. Right now, NCL is the only mass-market line that includes unlimited drinks in their cruise fare.

I am very interested in HAL's itineraries, though, so I'm very much hoping they will bring back their Explore 4 promotion this summer!

Are you sure? We have a cruise booked in October and the fare (Deluxe Balcony, Midship) for my father in law includes gratuities and three specialty dining reservations.

We live in Central Virginia and loved it when HAL occasionally sailed out of Norfolk. We went to the Panama Canal one November on the Amsterdam, and to the Caribbean the following December on the Maasdam.

Norfolk is a very nice port with good access.

I wish they would consider a Bermuda schedule.

No, I am not saying that. I was asking slidergirl why she appeared to be pushing for primarily U.S.-based cruises for HAL. Your point that the working segment find it difficult to make long treks may explain it. However, it was not clear to me and I was asking her to explain.

Are you sure? We have a cruise booked in October and the fare (Deluxe Balcony, Midship) for my father in law includes gratuities and three specialty dining reservations.

I'm not understanding what you are asking. Are you saying your FIL chose free gratuities plus specialty dining, but could have chosen the drinks package? If so, did he book under the Explore 4 promotion?

Wow. just wow.

Was it not written on this thread:

"should HAL go with its strengths (longer, enrichment for value cruises with unique itineraries for older passengers). And leave the high-entertainment short cruise market to other cruise lines."

"Up the daytime content--Get a big screen for the main showroom and show a movie in the afternoon. The movie theater is nice, but it doesn't hold enough people. And there's something about seeing a movie on a big screen that makes it better. It wouldn't have to be first-run, and it shouldn't be one year old, as that would look stale. Get a mix of classics and some movies that were very popular maybe 10 years ago."

I'm not sure what else would have been meant.

Cruisemom - I hope you are enjoyed your cruise on the Aegean Odyssey the last 2 weeks. Safe travels home!

Please don't attack Olssalt for something someone else said. I suggested the movie just as a quick thought based on the SRO reception large-screen movies got on Cunard. There's a market for that. Turner Classics is now organizing big-screen showings of classics. OK, not everyone likes old movies. But a lot of people don't bother going to the movies. They wait for on demand or netflicks or HBO/SHO. So the chance to see a movie on a big screen is attractive to some people. And doing that in the afternoon in the showroom is a CHEAP way to add something else to see--because it seems clear that HAL isn't looking to spend more money. The little theater fills and leaves people disappointed. So there is at least some interest in movies on something other than a TV screen. The reason I said older movies is that distributors aren't likely to give HAL first-run movies when they can get ticket revenue from theaters. HAL isn't going to cough up big bucks to compete with the theater revenue.

I have no fondness for pi**ing contests. I'm done with this thread.

No, I am not saying that. I was asking slidergirl why she appeared to be pushing for primarily U.S.-based cruises for HAL. Your point that the working segment find it difficult to make long treks may explain it. However, it was not clear to me and I was asking her to explain.

I was not pushing that HAL should be primarily US-based cruising. I was saying that not everyone is old, retired, and can afford long cruises. It does not seem that HAL wants to limit themselves to just this niche. They keep ships in the Caribbean for 7-14 day cruises in the winter and then shifts some of those to the Alaska market. For all I care, they could go ahead and pull out of the US and become based in Agrabah. We were talking about the incorrect supposition that HAL ships are going to be turned in to floating entertainment centers. Then, it migrated to keep to it's niche of long-duration, small port cruises for the more affluent and get out of the Caribbean and leave those cruisers to choose among lesser brands. Then, why get out of the Caribbean, NOT everywhere but the US.

The name is Holland AMERICA, after all... I suppose they could base out of somewhere South of the Southern US Border...

I would think the 7 day Caribbean and Alaska itinerarys attract more first time cruisers. They try a cruise line, and if they like they move onto longer, more unusual itinerarys. HAL wouldn't want to stop the 7 day Caribbean routings for that reason, they 'recruit' new passengers to HAL.

I would think the 7 day Caribbean and Alaska itinerarys attract more first time cruisers. They try a cruise line, and if they like they move onto longer, more unusual itinerarys. HAL wouldn't want to stop the 7 day Caribbean routings for that reason, they 'recruit' new passengers to HAL.

Nice. Kind of like the drug dealer - "hey, the first one is free" and you are hooked. (or, so I've heard ;-) )

Just me, but I sure wouldn't want to plunk down $7,000 + for a solo interior on a Grand Voyage without being able to sample the hard product on a shorter cruise.

Please don't attack Olssalt for something someone else said. I suggested the movie just as a quick thought based on the SRO reception large-screen movies got on Cunard. There's a market for that. Turner Classics is now organizing big-screen showings of classics. OK, not everyone likes old movies. But a lot of people don't bother going to the movies. They wait for on demand or netflicks or HBO/SHO. So the chance to see a movie on a big screen is attractive to some people. And doing that in the afternoon in the showroom is a CHEAP way to add something else to see--because it seems clear that HAL isn't looking to spend more money. The little theater fills and leaves people disappointed. So there is at least some interest in movies on something other than a TV screen. The reason I said older movies is that distributors aren't likely to give HAL first-run movies when they can get ticket revenue from theaters. HAL isn't going to cough up big bucks to compete with the theater revenue.

I love this idea of movies on a big screen and I don't care what other cruise lines do this, it's an awesome idea......

Some of us HAL loyalists are just looking for a few more options on entertainment, either you choose to participate or you don't...

I did not say anyone specific wrote these - as one can see I said "was it not written on this thread", not "you wrote on this thread." Please do not read what you want into it.

Be sure to flush ;-)

Nice. Kind of like the drug dealer - "hey, the first one is free" and you are hooked. (or, so I've heard ;-) )

Just me, but I sure wouldn't want to plunk down $7,000 + for a solo interior on a Grand Voyage without being able to sample the hard product on a shorter cruise.

Good point, but in that case the original "test" cruise on a particular line would need to be representative of the overall cruise line product; not a specialty hyped up entertainment cruise that competes with the "big guys", when the main product appeal is lower-key, more self-contained travel cruising.

In retrospect considering we chose our first HAL cruise solely for the number of ports it offered, ,as well as some exact dates. We had no idea of the pros and cons of the different brands. And we ended up one of the oldest, and at that time dowdiest ship in the fleet - the Maadam -- after recently cruising on Crystal, so it is amazing we ended up with such a long term love affair with HAL cruises.

They obviously did something right for us, mainly because they were not Crystal and we could cruise twice or three times as much and go pretty much anywhere in the world with them.

Good point, but in that case the original "test" cruise on a particular line would need to be representative of the overall cruise line product; not a specialty hyped up entertainment cruise that competes with the "big guys", when the main product appeal is lower-key, more self-contained travel cruising.

In retrospect considering we chose our first HAL cruise solely for the number of ports it offered, ,as well as some exact dates. We had no idea of the pros and cons of the different brands. And we ended up one of the oldest, and at that time dowdiest ship in the fleet - the Maadam -- after recently cruising on Crystal, so it is amazing we ended up with such a long term love affair with HAL cruises.

They obviously did something right for us, mainly because they were not Crystal and we could cruise twice or three times as much and go pretty much anywhere in the world with them.

Sigh. Where did anyone say the ship had to be a specialty hyped up entertainment cruise??? Bringing up existing music entertainment to something more recognizable to the under 70 set isn't hyping up entertainment. Keep your piano player in the bar, but have the repertoire more than the Vegas lounge music of the 60s, have some upscale jazz on the Lincoln Stage to augment the classical strings, do all types of actual Blues in BB Kings, not a carefully curated list of the same old same old (I know, that's a contract issue). Maybe remember some people stay up until midnight and add a new activity for them. Keep the hard product as it is, but change up the soft product. Sucker them in with things slightly familiar but upscale and appropriate to the vision of a HAL ship. If some want to play bridge, fine. Keep some new decks of bridge cards at Guest Services. But, do you really need to make it tournament-quality and have to have HAL provide a Director for it? Why not make it a friendly social activity with new people that you meet? I'd have Guest Services keep a few decks of pinocle cards, too, and invite anyone who still plays that game to indulge.

Please describe what you considered to be the hyped up entertainment? I haven't heard of any on HAL nor any plans to install any.

There are currently only two compelling reasons why we would ever select a HAL cruise today.

The first is itinerary. The second would be price.

Very high probability for either Princess, Celebrity, and to a lesser extent RCI.

I'm not understanding what you are asking. Are you saying your FIL chose free gratuities plus specialty dining, but could have chosen the drinks package? If so, did he book under the Explore 4 promotion?

This was on NCL. They don't have Explore 4. That's HAL. Since his "bar tab" is mostly bottled water and coffee drinks, there was no real value to NCL's "Ultimate Beverage Package," because it ultimately doesn't cover his beverages.

Sigh. Where did anyone say the ship had to be a specialty hyped up entertainment cruise??? Bringing up existing music entertainment to something more recognizable to the under 70 set isn't hyping up entertainment. Keep your piano player in the bar, but have the repertoire more than the Vegas lounge music of the 60s, have some upscale jazz on the Lincoln Stage to augment the classical strings, do all types of actual Blues in BB Kings, not a carefully curated list of the same old same old (I know, that's a contract issue). Maybe remember some people stay up until midnight and add a new activity for them. Keep the hard product as it is, but change up the soft product. Sucker them in with things slightly familiar but upscale and appropriate to the vision of a HAL ship. If some want to play bridge, fine. Keep some new decks of bridge cards at Guest Services. But, do you really need to make it tournament-quality and have to have HAL provide a Director for it? Why not make it a friendly social activity with new people that you meet? I'd have Guest Services keep a few decks of pinocle cards, too, and invite anyone who still plays that game to indulge.

Please describe what you considered to be the hyped up entertainment? I haven't heard of any on HAL nor any plans to install any.

Well said, that's all some are asking for, a few additional entertainment options, you either partake or you don't......it's just that easy!!

But that's what slidergirl keeps asking...where do you put the fleet that will make the same as those 7 day Caribbean cruises? You can't put them on the longer cruises, the onboard spend will drop dramastcally, Alaska? cant, its winter. Australia? Maybe. My co-workers under the age of 60 who have sailed HAL, it's been in the Caribbean.

We were in our 40's when we had our first HAL cruise. That was 22 years and 10 HAL cruises ago. So let me tell you where we've cruise with HAL. Alaska, Baltic, Mediterranean, Caribbean, Panama Canal, Europe. As you can see, HAL offers plenty of places to cruise for the under 60 age group that are not in the Caribbean.

That said, we also enjoy Royal Caribbean's Oasis and Allure cruise ships which we have taken 4 times to the Caribbean. We sail those two ships simply because we enjoy getting out of Chicago winters and we enjoy all the different things to do on the ship. Sure, we've been to all the islands, but now we golf or just stay on the ship and enjoy a mega ship that is super quiet and has outstanding service.

HAL has a place for the cruiser that enjoys great itineraries, beautiful cabins, a lovely promenade deck, and fantastic service. There will always be a niche for these ships.

Please, anyone out there, can you turn this thread into a thread about smoking, tipping or formal wear. :) At least some of those were interesting as opposed to the mumbo jumbo assumptions we are being subjected to here.

It seems that a few posters should seriously consider switching to decaf. :rolleyes:

Please, anyone out there, can you turn this thread into a thread about smoking, tipping or formal wear. :) At least some of those were interesting as opposed to the mumbo jumbo assumptions we are being subjected to here.

It seems that a few posters should seriously consider switching to decaf. :rolleyes:

Taxmantoo!!!

I so agree with you!!'

Boring

Denise :)

Who cares! Cruise HAL or not

We were in our 40's when we had our first HAL cruise. That was 22 years and 10 HAL cruises ago. So let me tell you where we've cruise with HAL. Alaska, Baltic, Mediterranean, Caribbean, Panama Canal, Europe. As you can see, HAL offers plenty of places to cruise for the under 60 age group that are not in the Caribbean.

Well you just have a riproaring time in Alaska and the Baltics in the middle of winter, sign me up for that cruise, jeez, why would anyone want the Caribbean when they can cruise Stockholm in January?

Please follow the conversation if you're going to post. We're talking about where to put the ships in the winter season if not the Caribbean.