Chair fights at the pool

In general people are just selfish. We purchased a spa pass for the wife and I on a recent cruise to use their Thermal suite and everytime we were in there, there was heated loungers that were taken by people leaving their towel and sunglasses there unattended. Find out 40 min later these people left the jacuzzi and went straight to their hogged loungers, not cool at all!!

The only way to win is either stoop to their level or pay more and go into suite or higher and get the perks there. There is not a whole lot the cruise line staff can do to stop this.

Edited by alvin18
Corrected mispelled word

I may be way off here - but since you are only referring to Anthem in this thread - perhaps it is the East coast/big city mentality? We have sailed out of Cape Liberty a number of times and found people to be more inpatient and inconsiderate than when we sail out of the the southern ports. There are chair hogs everywhere - they just handle it differently. I DO NOT want to stereo-type - but the pace of the southern ports is slower and more genteel.:rolleyes:
LOL...sounds like a BS answer to me, give me a break!.....K.O.:rolleyes:

I may be way off here - but since you are only referring to Anthem in this thread - perhaps it is the East coast/big city mentality? We have sailed out of Cape Liberty a number of times and found people to be more inpatient and inconsiderate than when we sail out of the the southern ports. There are chair hogs everywhere - they just handle it differently. I DO NOT want to stereo-type - but the pace of the southern ports is slower and more genteel.:rolleyes:

You are way off base. It happens all over the world & I've seen plenty of arguments & fist fights over cabins being saved when nobody is there. It is one of the favorite complaints on this board. By the way, it also happens at the theatre.

There is supposed to be a 30 minute rule, but it is not followed. The only time that I saw it enforced was on our Quantum Feb. '15 sail where there was a 25 minutes intervals and if empty (just towels & magazine) the chair was cleared. How do I know, because I was one of those scofflaws that got caught when going to the WJ for lunch. :halo:

I've seen people take 4 chairs in the sunny side and 4 chairs in the shady of the pool deck and go back and forth all day long. Give them 45 min for going to breakfast and go to your chair after that all is fair in love and pool chair war !!!!!!!.

I've seen people take 4 chairs in the sunny side and 4 chairs in the shady of the pool deck and go back and forth all day long. Give them 45 min for going to breakfast and go to your chair after that all is fair in love and pool chair war !!!!!!!.

I've got a better idea....how about NO chair saving. I don't involve myself in this game in any way. When I'm ready to sit at the pool, then I look for a chair that I'm going to use at that time. I really don't care how far it is from the pool.

You want 45 minutes and the next person wants an hour and so on and so on.

For heaven's sake people...quit thinking about just yourselves! Show some class!

I saw that for the first time this past January. Chair hogs will likely find a way to beat any system.

Recently sailed on the Jewel of the Seas. The staff was very proactive in removing towels from chairs that were not being actively used. Not sure how this would work on a ship where you have to scan your SeaPass to get a towel. On the one hand people would get upset that their towel was gone and they were charged $25, on the other hand maybe scanning will prevent chair hogs if they know the risk.

Recently sailed on the Jewel of the Seas. The staff was very proactive in removing towels from chairs that were not being actively used. Not sure how this would work on a ship where you have to scan your SeaPass to get a towel. On the one hand people would get upset that their towel was gone and they were charged $25, on the other hand maybe scanning will prevent chair hogs if they know the risk.

When it happened to me on the Quantum after 25 minutes, the Solarium attendant had my towels folded & my magazine put aside.

The definition of a King Chair Hog was last November we saw people carrying lounge chairs from the pool to their cabin! I assume to use on their balcony. The next day we saw the chairs in the hall. Im assuming again they were being taken away from them but you never know.

Not sure how this would work on a ship where you have to scan your SeaPass to get a towel. On the one hand people would get upset that their towel was gone and they were charged $25, on the other hand maybe scanning will prevent chair hogs if they know the risk.

That's easy...when they go to inquire about their towel, they can have a choice of paying the $25 or being issues a towel with a big HOG on it to use the rest of the cruise. :')

I am not a sunbather so I don't rush for a seat "in the sun" ... but I am an early riser and I like people watching. So I get up early, and get my comfy seat in the shade. it always amazes me that people then turn up 3 hours later walking back and forward in surprise that there are no chairs poolside! But this is the same everywhere. You want a good seat, plan ahead.

I think it's fine to get your chair, and then go to the restroom or a quick trip to the buffet for takeout... but apart from that I would love to see staff given the authority to take things off chairs when they know the people are taking the mick

Sigh....everyone just needs to calm down and ENJOY their vacation....you are in paradise on a ship [emoji568] experiencing what most people in the world only DREAM of.... let all of the pettiness go......go with the flow....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When there's money in it?

One option, is to beat the chair hogs at their own game. Grab an early breakfast, then stake your claim, by sitting in one chair and putting your stuff in the other(s). The rest of your party can then be a bit more leisurely, and join you.

Isn't that exactly what the chair hogs are doing? Thats what they did on my ship- woke up early, staked a claim, and just sat their with 5 chairs until the rest of their group showed up hours later...

Hate to break this to you, but this behavior constitutes being a chair hog.

Yes, but I'm sitting there, and the rest of my party shows up soon thereafter. Few would begrudge that. Dropping towels at 7 am and expecting to come back at noon to find your chairs are still unoccupied is a whole other league. I think that's where conflict tends to arise.

I like to think when are passengers going to stop the insanity!!!!

That's more like it. People like that don't need a good reason to get into a scuffle. If it wasn't for chairs, they'd just find another reason.

Yes, but I'm sitting there, and the rest of my party shows up soon thereafter. Few would begrudge that. Dropping towels at 7 am and expecting to come back at noon to find your chairs are still unoccupied is a whole other league. I think that's where conflict tends to arise.

Sorry...but you're in denial....and part of the problem. You can self delusion all you want, but you are a chair hog.

Maybe we need "chair hog anonymous". Hi my name is _________ and I used to be a chair hog.

Sigh....everyone just needs to calm down and ENJOY their vacation....you are in paradise on a ship [emoji568] experiencing what most people in the world only DREAM of.... let all of the pettiness go......go with the flow....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

BEST ANSWER YET!!!!!

I am not a sunbather so I don't rush for a seat "in the sun" ... but I am an early riser and I like people watching. So I get up early, and get my comfy seat in the shade. it always amazes me that people then turn up 3 hours later walking back and forward in surprise that there are no chairs poolside! But this is the same everywhere. You want a good seat, plan ahead.

I think it's fine to get your chair, and then go to the restroom or a quick trip to the buffet for takeout... but apart from that I would love to see staff given the authority to take things off chairs when they know the people are taking the mick

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Forums mobile app

We tend to find a place in the shade if we go to the pool deck. My brother is a sun person and he said a fight broke out behind him because one woman accused another woman of taking her seat and wanted to know where her stuff went. He said the accused said the seat was vacant and gestured to her to leave her alone. The accuser started cussing her out and got quite loud. He said she would not give up and kept cursing at the accused. Someone got security to come and she then cursed at them.

My brother said it was a windy and partly cloudy day with plenty of chairs available. He thinks her chair was in a different area and she was confused as to where her chair was.