Chair fights at the pool

One option, is to beat the chair hogs at their own game. Grab an early breakfast, then stake your claim, by sitting in one chair and putting your stuff in the other(s). The rest of your party can then be a bit more leisurely, and join you when ready. It's worked for us.

I hope the solution is not for everyone to become a chair hog, but if that is what happens, the addition of more hogs would force all the hogs to get up earlier and earlier to beat the other hogs. It would be fun to watch people sitting at the pool at 2:00 am holding chairs for their party who will show up after sleeping in and eating a leisurely breakfast. :')

But their are too many polite and altruistic people in the world for that to happen.

The definition of a King Chair Hog was last November we saw people carrying lounge chairs from the pool to their cabin! I assume to use on their balcony. The next day we saw the chairs in the hall. Im assuming again they were being taken away from them but you never know.

Probably thought the room attendant had nothing better do then carry their chairs back!

Yes, but I'm sitting there, and the rest of my party shows up soon thereafter. Few would begrudge that. Dropping towels at 7 am and expecting to come back at noon to find your chairs are still unoccupied is a whole other league. I think that's where conflict tends to arise.

Define "soon". Ten- fifteen minutes find - more than that, you are a hog. DH is a night owl and usually sleeps late on sea days. He might show up at the pool an hour or two after I do. I have NEVER saved him a chair.

Define "soon". Ten- fifteen minutes find - more than that, you are a hog. DH is a night owl and usually sleeps late on sea days. He might show up at the pool an hour or two after I do. I have NEVER saved him a chair.

Anytime before I leave for dinner. 😎

I sort of feel sorry for people who get hung up on this. Your on a beautiful ship-that cost a pretty penny-you spent day after day counting down-you were so excited when you got on the ship-and then you let this bother you. Also, I feel sorry that you make assumptions about people being chair hogs-I for one get up at five every morning even on my days off from work-so I am the one there in the morning first thing drinking my coffee and reading a book. You know there are not enough chairs for the amount of people on the ship- if it's so important to you-get up and go lay in a chair and finish sleeping. In life it is often first come first serve. People need to stop whining when we are so lucky to have the things that we have. I'm sure this is not a popular comment-however, let's be real. Attitude of gratitude will get you through-instead of worrying about everyone else-focus on the good and just have a great time with your loved ones.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One possible solution: They should put up posters about the dangers of skin cancer.

So true. Also add some pictures of the sagging, very wrinkled leathery faces. There is one lady on our cruise right now who is always in the sun that has that kind of face, except she has overdone botex. You can still see the wrinkle lines and leathery skin, but now it's just puffed out. :eek: She is way past the botex stage and she really shouldn't be in a pool chair in the sun.

I sort of feel sorry for people who get hung up on this. Your on a beautiful ship-that cost a pretty penny-you spent day after day counting down-you were so excited when you got on the ship-and then you let this bother you. Also, I feel sorry that you make assumptions about people being chair hogs-I for one get up at five every morning even on my days off from work-so I am the one there in the morning first thing drinking my coffee and reading a book. You know there are not enough chairs for the amount of people on the ship- if it's so important to you-get up and go lay in a chair and finish sleeping. In life it is often first come first serve. People need to stop whining when we are so lucky to have the things that we have. I'm sure this is not a popular comment-however, let's be real. Attitude of gratitude will get you through-instead of worrying about everyone else-focus on the good and just have a great time with your loved ones.

If your tush is in the seat and you're using it, then it's not chair hogging. What people are talking about is the folks who "reserve" multiple chairs by placing belongings on them or tying them up with towels, etc., and then leaving them empty for hours upon hours.

How pool staff handles this varies....on our last southern caribbean B2B on Adventure...the staff was extremely diligent...they were definitely watching..had post-it's and were writing the times on them and sticking them under suspicious chairs....and followed through in removing items. :'):')

This is so funny they were doing that, but much needed. I wish other ships would do this. All they have to do is put a number on the back of the chair in permanent marker then keep track of the times on a pad of paper.

.......One option, is to beat the chair hogs at their own game. Grab an early breakfast, then stake your claim, by sitting in one chair and putting your stuff in the other(s). The rest of your party can then be a bit more leisurely, and join you when ready. It's worked for us......

And you don't consider this chair hogging? You are doing the same thing. The staff needs to take care of it and I would ask which chairs have been unoccupied for a while. If there are only 10 people in the pool and 20 unoccupied chairs then you know some are being hogged.

It's one thing, sad as it is, to exchange angry words over a chair ... but we actually saw a real fight with blood involved on Carnival Glory.

Just over a chair .... :rolleyes:..:(

Are you sure the ship wasn't the Carnival Gory?

I'm glad I'm not a sun person. Hate just laying or reading in a chair in the sun and heat getting all leathery and more wrinkled.

Edited by ReneeFLL

Sigh....everyone just needs to calm down and ENJOY their vacation....you are in paradise on a ship [emoji568] experiencing what most people in the world only DREAM of.... let all of the pettiness go......go with the flow....

Do you mean going with the flow as in being a chair hog also? People would probably enjoy their vacation more if they could use the chairs themselves sometimes if others weren't so greedy for themselves.

Not a sun worshipper. What I really wish for is a place to put my towel and other stuff close by the pool. No where to leave your stuff except on a chair. Cubbies close by the pool would be great!

I saw that for the first time this past January. Chair hogs will likely find a way to beat any system.

Saw this also on the Alure.

They had 6 chairs by the pool and 6 chairs 10 ft away under the shade.

We could only laugh at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect answer - so agree

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

maybe they should put numbered positions on the decks for chairs, then assign those to cabins in order based on cabin catagory starting with suites then balcony, OV, inside. or maybe by status, pinnacle, diamond+, diamond, etc.

You know that really is fair, those that pay more get more. -:)

When there's money in it?

Seriously, though, the staff probably feels like they can't win. On the one hand, you have those complaining about the lack of chairs. On the other hand, you have those who feel it's their right to hold chairs. Making one group happy will anger the other. The path of least resistance is to do nothing, which often seems to be what happens. Nothing.

One option, is to beat the chair hogs at their own game. Grab an early breakfast, then stake your claim, by sitting in one chair and putting your stuff in the other(s). The rest of your party can then be a bit more leisurely, and join you when ready. It's worked for us.

When fights start breaking out, that's when staff has no choice, but to get involved. To not do so is bad for business. Especially in this day and age, with everyone being armed with a camera.

Amen about actually being in the chair early in order to reserve it. One person for every two chairs. Get your butts out of bed people. [emoji42]

Sent from my LG-H631 using Forums mobile app

So true. Also add some pictures of the sagging, very wrinkled leathery faces. There is one lady on our cruise right now who is always in the sun that has that kind of face, except she has overdone botex. You can still see the wrinkle lines and leathery skin, but now it's just puffed out. :eek: She is way past the botex stage and she really shouldn't be in a pool chair in the sun.

Why do you feel the need to judge people? It is NONE of your business as to how she chooses to live her life, in the sun or not. How would you feel if someone publicly commented on something that you are doing?

Not a sun worshipper. What I really wish for is a place to put my towel and other stuff close by the pool. No where to leave your stuff except on a chair. Cubbies close by the pool would be great!

That is a very good suggestion, maybe it needs to be passed along to the cruise line? It seems like such a simple solution. You would have to put a sign up saying not responsible for lost/stolen articles. It might not stop the hogs, but non hogs would love it.

maybe they should put numbered positions on the decks for chairs, then assign those to cabins in order based on cabin catagory starting with suites then balcony, OV, inside. or maybe by status, pinnacle, diamond+, diamond, etc.

:eek: incoming flak

Haha, we are talking about a RCI cruise ship. If you paid more then that's your problem. :)

quote=kmorg1234;52963470]Why do you feel the need to judge people? It is NONE of your business as to how she chooses to live her life, in the sun or not. How would you feel if someone publicly commented on something that you are doing?

(y) I need a hands clapping for this post.

Kborg and Spark- I felt the same way about Renee's "leather body" comment. So Judgmental- and mean. Pssst- how about we all show a bit more kindness? Be a bit more understanding. I know it's easy to say what you want anonymously... but then stop and think...why are all these mean things going through my head. I just can't believe how vicious we've all become in general. Relax, you're on a beautiful vacation-like I said go with the flow and just enjoy your time.

That is a very good suggestion, maybe it needs to be passed along to the cruise line? It seems like such a simple solution. You would have to put a sign up saying not responsible for lost/stolen articles. It might not stop the hogs, but non hogs would love it.

My gym just added small cubbie lockers out on the gym floor, separate from the locker room. No keys needed, they have 4 tumbler dials and you set your own combination and walk away. Like a mechanical version of the room safe.

I've been saying for years I have *zero* interest in a chair out in the sun, but I would like a place to put a few small items if I go in the pool.

How cruiselines continue to miss such low hanging fruit is a mystery to me.

why do you feel the need to judge people? It is none of your business as to how she chooses to live her life, in the sun or not. How would you feel if someone publicly commented on something that you are doing?

amen!

Here you got a whole thread about what others do...

My gym just added small cubbie lockers out on the gym floor, separate from the locker room. No keys needed, they have 4 tumbler dials and you set your own combination and walk away. Like a mechanical version of the room safe.

I've been saying for years I have *zero* interest in a chair out in the sun, but I would like a place to put a few small items if I go in the pool.

How cruiselines continue to miss such low hanging fruit is a mystery to me.

Great idea!

Perhaps people could simply use their Sea Pass Cards to lock and unlock them. That way we could charge their accounts automatically. I think $10 per hour sounds like a reasonable rate.

Sincerely,

J.L.

CFO

RCCL

:D

Great idea!

Perhaps people could simply use their Sea Pass Cards to lock and unlock them. That way we could charge their accounts automatically. I think $10 per hour sounds like a reasonable rate.

Sincerely,

J.L.

CFO

RCCL

:D

LOL

Can I buy a 3-day package instead, just for sea days? :evilsmile:

SaveSave