Chair fights at the pool

Just talked to friends that got off the Anthem and one story was people getting into scuffle for pool chairs. WHEN WILL THE CREW STOP THE INSANITY??????????????.

that is crazy! The anthem has plenty of chairs. I can't imagine not being enough chairs to go around that people would be arguing over them. just ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When there's money in it?

Seriously, though, the staff probably feels like they can't win. On the one hand, you have those complaining about the lack of chairs. On the other hand, you have those who feel it's their right to hold chairs. Making one group happy will anger the other. The path of least resistance is to do nothing, which often seems to be what happens. Nothing.

One option, is to beat the chair hogs at their own game. Grab an early breakfast, then stake your claim, by sitting in one chair and putting your stuff in the other(s). The rest of your party can then be a bit more leisurely, and join you when ready. It's worked for us.

When fights start breaking out, that's when staff has no choice, but to get involved. To not do so is bad for business. Especially in this day and age, with everyone being armed with a camera.

Just talked to friends that got off the Anthem and one story was people getting into scuffle for pool chairs. WHEN WILL THE CREW STOP THE INSANITY??????????????.

I may be way off here - but since you are only referring to Anthem in this thread - perhaps it is the East coast/big city mentality? We have sailed out of Cape Liberty a number of times and found people to be more inpatient and inconsiderate than when we sail out of the the southern ports. There are chair hogs everywhere - they just handle it differently. I DO NOT want to stereo-type - but the pace of the southern ports is slower and more genteel.:rolleyes:

When there's money in it?

Seriously, though, the staff probably feels like they can't win. On the one hand, you have those complaining about the lack of chairs. On the other hand, you have those who feel it's their right to hold chairs. Making one group happy will anger the other. The path of least resistance is to do nothing, which often seems to be what happens. Nothing.

You're totally right: The crew can only lose by trying to interfere.

I have asked pool crew members for help with moving stuff on chairs, and I have tipped for that help. They seemed appreciative.

One option, is to beat the chair hogs at their own game. Grab an early breakfast, then stake your claim, by sitting in one chair and putting your stuff in the other(s). The rest of your party can then be a bit more leisurely, and join you when ready. It's worked for us.

Hate to break this to you, but this behavior constitutes being a chair hog.

One possible solution: They should put up posters about the dangers of skin cancer.

No ;)

My DH has had melanoma and we always get a chair in the shade so we don't need the competition.:cool:

I may be way off here - but since you are only referring to Anthem in this thread - perhaps it is the East coast/big city mentality? We have sailed out of Cape Liberty a number of times and found people to be more inpatient and inconsiderate than when we sail out of the the southern ports. There are chair hogs everywhere - they just handle it differently. I DO NOT want to stereo-type - but the pace of the southern ports is slower and more genteel.:rolleyes:

I live in Texas, the people here are not genteel. They are no more considerate or patient than people on the east coast. The southern hospitality thing is a myth. I do agree they move slower, but I think that is more of a response to the gawd awful heat.

How pool staff handles this varies....on our last southern caribbean B2B on Adventure...the staff was extremely diligent...they were definitely watching..had post-it's and were writing the times on them and sticking them under suspicious chairs....and followed through in removing items. :'):')

Things will only get worse.

Soon next to the towel station will be a pay/per chair for the day....

And rental of a number spot by the pool.

Once you complete the above you will be able to get your spot.

Then it will rain and everyone will be complain about having to wait in line to turn in your stuff.

Oh, another way to make money for the cruise line.

On a side note, as long as we have a spot to put our stuff down, I am happy perched at the pools edge,

Have met many friendly travelers from all over the world.

Safe travels.

This is just crazy fighting over a deck chair. Security should be called when this crap happens. I just don't understand what has happened to common courtesy. Maybe the answer to the saving is to charge to reserve a deck chair

There is a finite number of chairs directly by the pool....there are PLENTY of chairs within easy walking distance...why would anyone need to fight over a freaking chair???

So, the real problem is getting chairs by the pool? Why exactly is that the desired spot? I would think it is loud.

No ;)

My DH has had melanoma and we always get a chair in the shade so we don't need the competition.:cool:

My wife had a large section of her shoulder removed for melanoma as well. We stick to the shade and never have a problem finding a table to sit at.

No ;)

I totally understand. We have skin cancer in our family, so we never have an issue with chair hogs because we don't want to stay in the sun. It's just not worth it to us.