Taking food from breakfast for later on?

Angie463

Try taking food onto the ship in Hawaii and see how far you get.

We've had no problem taking food onto ships in Hawaii; the latest was a box of malasadas from a bakery near Hilo and the only comment from security was to ask why we didn't bring enough for them. We've also taken sandwiches and fruit onto airplanes many times in Hawaii (to consume onboard) so a ship should be no different. It's taking anything OFF the ship (food or flowers) that's the issue.

We've had no problem taking food onto ships in Hawaii; the latest was a box of malasadas from a bakery near Hilo and the only comment from security was to ask why we didn't bring enough for them. We've also taken sandwiches and fruit onto airplanes many times in Hawaii (to consume onboard) so a ship should be no different. It's taking anything OFF the ship (food or flowers) that's the issue.

I'd be interested in knowing the specifics of how you got loose food items from Hawaii onto a commercial flight. All unprepackaged foodstuffs are required to be inspected before removing them. That's why they have ag inspectors at the departure gates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd be interested in knowing the specifics of how you got loose food items from Hawaii onto a commercial flight. All unprepackaged foodstuffs are required to be inspected before removing them. That's why they have ag inspectors at the departure gates.

I can't speak to what food the poster took on the airplane, but airports in Hawaii are no different than airports anywhere else...there are numerous foods that can be purchased after you pass through security. A few months ago I bought food in HNL and took it aboard our flight to PHX, and I saw others also bring food aboard. The only ag inspection I encountered was located before we ever got near the gate area. There was no inspection that I observed at the gate before boarding the flight.

Edited by njhorseman

/quote]

You're right about the fruit - when I think about it, we've purchased that at the snack shop within the airport and it was in their marked containers, so that may be why the allowed it. We have, however, stopped for sandwiches at local shops and taken them onboard in paper sacks or foam containers. Sometimes they ask if there's fruit inside the bag, sometimes they just put it through the scanner and say nothing.

Edited by Kartgv

After security in Hawaii, YES to buying food products, but when you enter the airport in Hawaii, it's NOT like every other airport. We almost missed our plane in Hawaii because of the AG inspection and so many people (a class trip) with violations that held things up. I wish I could remember the port, but I'm almost positive it was Mexico where, even after warnings, an Aunt of mine took some fruit off the ship and a nice dog on a leash, nuzzled up to her and she had to empty her bag and leave it on a table...littered with food confiscated. UGH...just don't. It's embarrassing and a little bit scary when the dog sits down next to you. Not worth it.

Try taking food onto the ship in Hawaii and see how far you get.

First, you missed that I said "rarely".

Second, there is absolutely NO evidence the OP is sailing anywhere near the Hawaiian islands.

Please educate us on what happened to you when you tried to take food on board a ship in Hawaii. I have not sailed from Hawaii, but have flown to and from Hawaii over 40 times , heck, my Mom was born there, lived there on Dec 7th, 1941, and we are very familiar with their ag inspections. Being subjected to inspection doesn't mean everything we might be carrying is prohibited. It just means it is inspected. Flying into Hawaii is far more challenging with food than flying out.

First, you missed that I said "rarely".

Second, there is absolutely NO evidence the OP is sailing anywhere near the Hawaiian islands.

Please educate us on what happened to you when you tried to take food on board a ship in Hawaii. I have not sailed from Hawaii, but have flown to and from Hawaii over 40 times , heck, my Mom was born there, lived there on Dec 7th, 1941, and we are very familiar with their ag inspections. Being subjected to inspection doesn't mean everything we might be carrying is prohibited. It just means it is inspected. Flying into Hawaii is far more challenging with food than flying out.

Airports and cruise ports throughout Hawaii have ag inspection coming and going. I've actually brought custom made leis from a certified floral shipper in Kauai (Flowers Forever) onto a commercial flight but only after having the shipping certificate and package inspected.

I cited Hawaii as an example of how strict the controls can be (not unlike New Zealand or Australia). OP was talking about bringing uninspected food onto a ship. Perhaps some lines are less concerned about food safety and threats to agriculture. But, I know that, at least, on Oceania there is a large garbage receptacle usually nearby the scanner(s) for reboarding after a port visit. The sign on the bin asks that food, sand, soil etc please be deposited. Of course, however, that case of wine is always welcome.

Airports and cruise ports throughout Hawaii have ag inspection coming and going. I've actually brought custom made leis from a certified floral shipper in Kauai (Flowers Forever) onto a commercial flight but only after having the shipping certificate and package inspected.

I cited Hawaii as an example of how strict the controls can be (not unlike New Zealand or Australia). OP was talking about bringing uninspected food onto a ship. Perhaps some lines are less concerned about food safety and threats to agriculture. But, I know that, at least, on Oceania there is a large garbage receptacle usually nearby the scanner(s) for reboarding after a port visit. The sign on the bin asks that food, sand, soil etc please be deposited. Of course, however, that case of wine is always welcome.

No, OP was talking about taking food off a ship, which I agree has serious issues and restrictions. The poster I was responding to managed to merge bringing food on a ship, which has far fewer issues. I have sailed and traveled in Australia and New Zealand. I have seen the restrictions on bringing food INTO those countries. But little or no issues bringing stuff out.

I have seen the beagles working luggage for flights into the US, but not from Hawaii.

Norway is always near the top of the list for happiest, wealthiest countries... which means that the prices for food and drink is very expensive... eg, one small beer cost us around £10... Although you can bring any amount of alcohol on board Arcadia at each port, it's pretty unlikely that people do.... :O

Remember that each day in your cabin, on the tea tray, there's wrapped biscuits. Save some of those... they're very handy! They're replenished when the dish is empty.... and collect the pillow chocolates. :D

When we arrived in Mexico last week, there were agents with dogs on the pier looking for fruit in people's bags. They confiscated a ton of stuff. I partly blame the cruise line for not telling people though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not only is it posted in the daily schedule, there are big signs with trash bins as you exit the ship to dispose of all food.

Wow, I didn't expect such a big debate! I was really only asking from an etiquette point of view, hadn't considered the customs implications :o

Thanks for all your responses.

I guess you missed the thread where on OP ask what 1 + 1 equaled. That one lasted fifty pages!

This is CC, everything is a big debate.

:D and :rolleyes:

If you think about it, a foreign country is like your home. Would you allow someone who has just walked through cow manure come into you house without taking off ones shoes? The country is only trying to protect itself and citizens from outside invasions of insects or illness.

When we sailed with little kids I brought packaged snacks with us from home specifically for excursions (the only thing I found on the ship that I could bring into port was boxes of cereal). Now that my kids are older I still will bring a few protein bars etc. You should be fine with anything processed and sealed in its original packaging including apple sauce or fruit cups or dried fruit (because it has been cooked and processed). The only exception I can think of is meat. I know we had all our German sausages confiscated once. And we were only targeted because I forgot I packed an apple for my son and he never ate it before we went through customs (this was flying not sailing). For whats it wort I carried a plastic container for our packaged snacks (like the disposable but sturdy Tupperware type containers). This kept snacks from getting crushed in my bag.

Wow, I didn't expect such a big debate! I was really only asking from an etiquette point of view, hadn't considered the customs implications :o

Thanks for all your responses.

Well, thanks to that "big debate", you now have learned that it is much more serious than just an etiquette situation. Keeping you from getting into trouble with the local authorities is a good thing, right? ;p

Well, thanks to that "big debate", you now have learned that it is much more serious than just an etiquette situation. Keeping you from getting into trouble with the local authorities is a good thing, right? ;p

Absolutely! I am grateful for having had this pointed out to me.:D

Just looked at the VisitNorway site for personal import information.

( if it's correct that you are visiting Norway? )

If you are coming from an EU country, you can bring a limited quantity of meat, meat products, cheese and foodstuffs, except potatoes and cat and dog food.

If from outside the EU, no meat or meat products, milk or milk products.

Depending on your ship, some products on board may be sourced from the US and therefore unsuitable.

Worth doing some more searching to ensure you have the correct facts from a reputable Norwegian government source.

Then be prepared for accusations of being cheap!

And be aware that some Norwegian shops and fish markets sell whale meat which is banned in most of the civilised world! Some emergency cereal bars sounds like a good idea!

Just looked at the VisitNorway site for personal import information.

( if it's correct that you are visiting Norway? )

If you are coming from an EU country, you can bring a limited quantity of meat, meat products, cheese and foodstuffs, except potatoes and cat and dog food.

If from outside the EU, no meat or meat products, milk or milk products.

Depending on your ship, some products on board may be sourced from the US and therefore unsuitable.

Worth doing some more searching to ensure you have the correct facts from a reputable Norwegian government source.

Then be prepared for accusations of being cheap!

And be aware that some Norwegian shops and fish markets sell whale meat which is banned in most of the civilised world! Some emergency cereal bars sounds like a good idea!

No, everything on board Arcadia will be coming from an EU country. I really think that collecting the wrapped biscuits provided in the cabin might be enough, or a packet of Walker's crisps bought from the on board shop.

Not only is it posted in the daily schedule, there are big signs with trash bins as you exit the ship to dispose of all food.

I can assure you there were no signs and no warning in the daily schedule. I looked specifically when we returned to see if people just ignored the warnings or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk