Specialty Dining...Worth It?

Welly09

I've always found the food on Celebrity to be quite good. I'm going to be sailing again on Summit this summer and was wondering if specialty dining (either Tuscan Grill or Qsine) is worth it? I'm thinking yes, if for no other reason than to see another beautiful view and part of the ship but I'm curious what people who've done it think. Thanks!

I'll give you a qualified yes, you should try them. The qualification is that you wait until you are on-board where you have a good chance of being offered a "deal" at some point during your cruise. There are folks selling specialty dining almost always outside the buffet area....and you can just smile and ask them if they can offer you any deals. We have almost always been offered 20-25% off after a couple of days on the cruise...and occasionally we get a BOGO offer when they're really hurting for bookings. It all depends on how busy they are. The risks....1) either or both restaurants are fully booked or 2) you are offered times that are earlier or later than you'd like.

Personally, we always take a chance and are seldom disappointed..but, yes, we have had at least one cruise where the specialty restaurants were full every night.

Take your best shot :)

BTW....if I had to pick between Tuscan Grill and Qsine, I'd pick Qsine just because it's more fun. If you want atmosphere, I guess Tuscan is better but I have a personal problem with paying extra to dine at Tuscan and then being offered menu options that have an additional cost (of course you don't have to order those...but the concept is just annoying to us).

I love going to the specialty restaurants ... but not every night on the cruise. Mainly, I love going for a special treat and it really depends on how much onboard credit I have.

I love Murano and Silk Harvest. It is oftentimes very easy to get a discount at Silk Harvest .... not so much at Murano. The packages can be a pretty good deal. I will pay up to $25 pp for Silk Harvest and even have gone to lunch at Murano for $30 pp.

As for the Tuscan Grill, it is decent but just not as much to my liking. Same with QSine; I just didn't leave having to go back a second time. I like the concept but only a couple of the dishes were something I really liked and then there is just so little of them. I actually thought there was too much of a wait between one course and the next. I get why they do that ... you have time to realize you are full.

So, with a discount, I would say Murano and Silk are worth it for me, the others, I could take it or leave it.

Certainly look into purchasing at least a package for 4 if you want to get your money's worth.

To me they seem like a lot of money to get a very-very nice dinner as opposed to a very nice dinner.

Nice to try out, and of course we have. But it's not something we do very often.

Murano was/ is worth it to us. First night is often very discounted so check with them. Silk Harvest was a pleasant surprise. And lots of discounts available for it throughout the cruise. Quisine was ok but better if you go with a bunch of people. We've decided that Tuscan is not worth it. Food and service very up and down. We will be on Silhouette this Saturday and are looking forward to trying the Lawn Grill for the first time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To me they seem like a lot of money to get a very-very nice dinner as opposed to a very nice dinner.

Nice to try out, and of course we have. But it's not something we do very often.

I'm with you...I've already paid for dinner every night and eat in the MDR where the food is consistently very good. We ate in the specialty steak house on Grandeur because our TA gave us dinner for 2 as a gift. The ambiance was divine....I felt like I was the only one there and the view was killer....but the food was no better than the MDR . I don't understand the reasoning for specialty restaurants you pay more for (and for Murano it's considerable) when you've already paid for your dinner in the MDR. When I want to pay through the nose for a "dining experience" many places come to mind but a cruise ship isn't one of them.

I've always found the food on Celebrity to be quite good. I'm going to be sailing again on Summit this summer and was wondering if specialty dining (either Tuscan Grill or Qsine) is worth it? I'm thinking yes, if for no other reason than to see another beautiful view and part of the ship but I'm curious what people who've done it think. Thanks!

As far as we are concerned the ONLY specialty worth the additional cost is Murano. Tuscan is more like an upscale Italian chain and Qsine is just quirky presentations (may be fun to try once with a large group so you can taste everything). We got a 1/2 off discount for both and felt we'd never return to either. Now that they are removing the Ocean Liners restaurants from the Mclass ships, we'll pass on specialty dining on those ships. We haven't tried Lawn Club on Reflection yet, but will only do so if a discount is offered. Otherwise we'll be happy with MDR or Blu. You'll get lots of differing opinions here since tastes are subjective. We like the ambience and service that Murano offers and find it a treat.

As far as we are concerned the ONLY specialty worth the additional cost is Murano. Tuscan is more like an upscale Italian chain and Qsine is just quirky presentations (may be fun to try once with a large group so you can taste everything). We got a 1/2 off discount for both and felt we'd never return to either. Now that they are removing the Ocean Liners restaurants from the Mclass ships, we'll pass on specialty dining on those ships. We haven't tried Lawn Club on Reflection yet, but will only do so if a discount is offered. Otherwise we'll be happy with MDR or Blu. You'll get lots of differing opinions here since tastes are subjective. We like the ambience and service that Murano offers and find it a treat.

I read the menu for Ocean Liner and Murano - they are the same.

Ate in Chops Grill on RCL - the Ambiance was great - until a group of 10 rowdy adults with 6 misbehaved kids spoiled it.

RCL has raised the price for Chops to $49. I will be damned if I am going to spend more than $100 (with tip) for a meal. I can do that at some of the finest steak houses in the country.

Since Celebrity offers specials of 2 for 1 - I guess they are saying the base price is too high.

IMO...no...I pay extra to dine in Blu...because I like the smaller venue and the food there (except this last cruise on Millie where the food was not great)...but that is another story! So I don't pay the extra money...and I miss the old "liner" restaurants...that I DID pay extra for!!! :) LuAnn

I don't even see where Murano is an option on Summit...

Sadly, Murano is not an option on Summit. I'm just off Summit. Tuscan Grill was a major disappointment. This is the third time I've tried them and it will be the last. Three strikes and they're out. I've had better meals and service in the MDR. Much prefered my dinners in Luminae. Did not go to Qsine this cruise, but have been before and it's fun if you're with a group.

I agree with the majority here, Murano is worth it (but get a discount $50pp is pretty steep), we got 30% off on our last cruise. Tuscan isn't worth the cost. We got a two for one and still felt it wasn't worth it. Qsine is odd and it seems to be one of those love it or hate it places. I really thought I would like it but it left unimpressed. Glad I tried it though but I doubt I will go back. Wasn't impressed with the sushi on 5 either and I love sushi. I will be giving them a second chance next month.

I try to check out the MDR menu as early as possible and if nothing interests me I will book a specialty. If there are good choices in the MDR I don't see any reason to spend the extra $$

I'm with you...I've already paid for dinner every night and eat in the MDR where the food is consistently very good. We ate in the specialty steak house on Grandeur because our TA gave us dinner for 2 as a gift. The ambiance was divine....I felt like I was the only one there and the view was killer....but the food was no better than the MDR . I don't understand the reasoning for specialty restaurants you pay more for (and for Murano it's considerable) when you've already paid for your dinner in the MDR. When I want to pay through the nose for a "dining experience" many places come to mind but a cruise ship isn't one of them.

I feel the same way. Why pay more money to eat when I can eat for "free"? I feel like I would be paying double for my food. I would much rather go out to a nice restaurant at home. There are also so many more choices.

The old dining room experience just isn't what it used to be but that does not make the experience bad. We enjoyed having our waiter and assistant waiter get to know us by name and we enjoyed getting to know them. Those poor guys handle so many tables now, they have little time to talk. The food quality in the dining room is now just average, you can see how they have manage costs by cutting back on some of the ingredients/quality of ingredients and this had led to a decline in quality of food being served on most cruises. We still enjoy the dining room experience and meeting other cruisers.

We usually buy a specialty dining package before our cruise. We enjoy eating at the back of the boat during sunset and the personal service that you receive. The food and service is better and this leads to a better dining experience. To be honest, the specialty dining food quality is more like how the dining room food use to be like. I don't think either choice is right or wrong, it is more about what you enjoy doing. Have a great cruise.

Qsine is a whole adventure. Little tastes of so many types of food and such original presentation of all the food. Personally I don't see the need to pay extra for speciality restaurants but a friend was actually comped and she asked me to join her. Worth going if you can pick up a good deal which are always being offered. Lunch was cheaper than dinner and I think port day lunches were even less. We ate there on the Infinity a couple of years ago. I would go back again, but with my hubby next time.

An opposite opinion. We've been sailing Celebrity for 15 years and have seen food quality go down. We like to dine as a couple, not in a large table. We're on the Silhouette Transatlantic now and have eaten in specialty restaurants EVERY night. We bought a 14 night package before we sailed which made it around $24 per person per meal. We booked a regular balcony cabIn instead of suite (we were not happy with service in Luminae in November.). Tables in Aqua class are too close together. This package was less than we would have paid for a suite or Aqua Class.

We have had A DINING EXPERIENCE every night. Superb service, food prepared a la minute, special requests and off menu choices available.

We would do this again.

Not worth it for us. We've tried in the past and it was OK just not worth it. The others food be it Blu or the MDR is fine for us.

We usually have a lot of OBC and still don't find it worth it but many do.

If we tried another one I think it would be Qsine just because it is different. But on our last 10 day cruise we didn't go so I guess it wasn't that important to us - lol

Go and enjoy!

In our experience the main dining room is getting worse and worse and the noise and closeness of tables to each other is bordering on ridiculous. This is making the speciality restaurants a bigger draw but we still feel they are overpriced. They too just want to get you in and out in most cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is an interesting thread to me. We're soon sailing on Reflection and have purchased a 4 dining package as we want to try Murano, Tuscan Grille (we did enjoy it on Constellation) but I'm a little lost on where to use the other 2. Lawn Club Grille seems appealing but can't make up my mind about Qsine. I know dining experiences can be very subjective.

Take your best shot :)

BTW....if I had to pick between Tuscan Grill and Qsine, I'd pick Qsine just because it's more fun. If you want atmosphere, I guess Tuscan is better but I have a personal problem with paying extra to dine at Tuscan and then being offered menu options that have an additional cost (of course you don't have to order those...but the concept is just annoying to us).

Agree that QSine is a lot of fun but you really have to have a group of people so make it work. Try to get a bunch of people on the ship to go w you to QSine.

DON

Agree that QSine is a lot of fun but you really have to have a group of people so make it work. Try to get a bunch of people on the ship to go w you to QSine.

DON

If you are just 2 in QSine, remember you aren't at home with your mother saying you have to clean your plate. Try things...eat 1/2 (since most things they serve are for 4) and move on to another course. Some of the items can be made smaller as well...just ask your waiter.

We have eaten in QSine maybe 6 or 7 times and always just 2 of us. Never a problem.

We are sailing on the Eclipse 14N S Carib and purchased a 7 Sp Dining package. We enjoy the sp restaurants much more than the MDR. I rate the Murano as #1. Tuscan Grille has great atmosphere. What a spectacular view! The only problem is that their steaks are not that thick enough, especially for a 'steak house'. I'm going to see if they will cut to size. I also liked the Lawn Club Grille. Unfortunately it's only on the Silly and the Reflection (probably the Edge too). The Qsine is fun too. The food is very interesting there. I think all the Sp. Rest. have much more to offer than the MDR. Yes they are expensive but you are on vacation and deserve it!

IMHO, if you do not have an upscale restaurant, local or Chain, near where you live, it might be worth it. Other than that, MEH. Should say, it the discount if GREAT, go for it.