How casual is casual in MDR?

I know that the Manhattan restaurant is more dressy but what about taste and savor? Could females wear cute/nice shorts (banana republic, j crew, etc) and a cute top? The shorts are "booty" shorts but they aren't Bermuda (knee length) either. My 12 year old DD hates to dress up so I am thinking about evening attire for both her and myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

From NCL FAQ's:

What Should I Pack?

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain. Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day. Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise. We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly. Since your suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don’t forget an overnight bag for prescriptions and need-to-have items.

I don't know what ship you are sailing, but I know that shorts can now be worn in ALL main dining rooms on some ships, including Manhattan Room. I know this is the case on Escape, but not sure of the others.

I don't know what ship you are sailing, but I know that shorts can now be worn in ALL main dining rooms on some ships, including Manhattan Room. I know this is the case on Escape, but not sure of the others.

"We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants."

If these guys came to the Manhattan Room, I bet they would not be rejected.

Fabric2.jpg

"We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants."

I'd only reject the guy 2nd from the right. He'd never leave the Haven though, so it wouldn't be an issue. ;p

Ugh. At the same time NCL is trying to make their ships classier with improved decor, they are letting passengers get sloppier and sloppier. On Getaway last September, I was eating the early-bird special in Le Bistro and a dad and his two sons walked past in wet swim suits and nothing else. That's just one example. My only point is $400 million to improve the guest experience only goes so far when folks are wearing the same clothes at GSC and the MDR. :eek:

Three of my next four cruises are on HAL, and the fourth is on a ship that was designed and built for HAL and is adults only. I guess the cranky old man in me is winning.

At most my daughter wore leggings and a decent shirt. I saw all kinds of nice shorts/polo shirts. On the night where you could take pictures with the captain some people were decked out on gowns, not us though!

The "brand names" on shorts or jeans or whatever have nothing to do with their appropriateness!

Females get away with much more than men are able to!

How casual is casual ?

Back to the topic,

I find that women's casual wear is more attractive than mens, therefore more acceptable.:)

Ugh. At the same time NCL is trying to make their ships classier with improved decor, they are letting passengers get sloppier and sloppier. On Getaway last September, I was eating the early-bird special in Le Bistro and a dad and his two sons walked past in wet swim suits and nothing else. That's just one example. My only point is $400 million to improve the guest experience only goes so far when folks are wearing the same clothes at GSC and the MDR. :eek:

Three of my next four cruises are on HAL, and the fourth is on a ship that was designed and built for HAL and is adults only. I guess the cranky old man in me is winning.

I'm not one whose vacation is affected by the attire of others, and I can't imagine planning my life around what other people are wearing. That said, I've never seen swimsuits in a specialty restaurant, or I'd probably notice. However, I have seen women who appear to think they look fancy and elegant while wearing dresses that might embarrass a hooker. To each his own, I suppose.

Fabric2.jpg

I misread a word. You are right, allowed in all MDR on Escape.

I know that the Manhattan restaurant is more dressy but what about taste and savor? Could females wear cute/nice shorts (banana republic, j crew, etc) and a cute top? The shorts are "booty" shorts but they aren't Bermuda (knee length) either. My 12 year old DD hates to dress up so I am thinking about evening attire for both her and myself. Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Manhattan Room on the Epic does not allow shorts.

Manhattan Room on the Escape, Getaway, Breakaway (and probably Bliss) allow shorts. "Most" people make an effort to dress like they were going out to a nice dinner when in the Manhattan Room or Specialty Dining Rooms. Yes, some insist on wearing shorts, but it is less common.

Cute top on your and your DD o.k. Booty shorts on you and your DD, not so much.

I would not wear short "booty" shorts out to any restaurant at home or a cruise. They just aren't the long Bermuda type shorts that go to my knee. We plan to dine in the manhattan room on one of the "dress up or not nights" where we will wear semi formal dresses. I plan to wear nice, mid thigh length shorts with cute tops to taste and savor. This will definitely cut down on my packing since I usually pack a dress for dinner then cute/casual outfit for after dinner. I don't mind sundresses and will probably pack more of those for myself but my DD hates dresses and that is one compromise for Picking NCL is it more casual but I am still insisting one dressy dinner with my family :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you posted a picture of you in your booty shorts, we could give you a better answer.

Quite frankly, this is a lot more offensive than anything someone in a restaurant could wear.

I've seen a woman turned away from Le Bistro when attempting to join her friends... she was wearing her bathsuit with a coverup..

Fabric2.jpg

Cute!:D