Tipping...

I would like to hear others views about tipping. I usually prepay my tips. However, at the end of the trip I all ways feel guilty not leaving anything. So on my most recent cruise, last month, I gave the waiter and his assistant and the room steward additional. I never know if what I leave is considered being "cheap". I am not as frequent a cruiser as most here. I usually get the inside room and save all year for this. I will be going on another short 4 nights soon and wonder what other people do?

Just looking for guidance.

My advice to you is to budget what you can afford to tip extra, and do so at the end of the cruise as you see is appropriate. On my last cruise, I paid autotips which were charged to my onboard account daily. I also paid the waiter, his assistant and my room steward an extra tip in cash on the last night of the trip. The amount, IMO, is strictly up to what you feel is appropriate.

Don't let misplaced guilt affect you. If you were to consider how much the service you're receiving would really cost you, by comparing how much the crew gets paid to how much they would be paid if circumstances were different (i.e., if they were paid scouting to US law), it would be a lot more than whatever extra you might give them. So why choose that amount rather than any other? The reality is that the prepaid gratuities set the *standard*. Accept that as the standard or accept that you're opening a much bigger can of worms than you really wish to.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

There is no need to feel "guilty"...the cruise line does this on PURPOSE...folks tend to forget how much they've already tipped, if they don't have "cash in hand"...Remember how much you've already paid in tips...and if you feel the need, an extra bit will be appreciated, but not expected. On a 4-nighter...IF the service was so above and beyond that you feel you MUST tip more, $5-10 is MORE than ample.

Originally posted by pilot
emoji897.pngemoji897.pngemoji897.pngemoji897.png

Sent from my iPad using

Yep another one.

Sorry I guess by this that this has been discussed to death. I am kinda new to this.

Thanks for the responses. I will keep the advice to mind.

I also prepay. If the stateroom attendant goes the extra mile I give him a couple of dollars a day extra.

Same with dining room. Service has been paid for but if they look after me I will tip them a little extra.

Pete.

We pre-pay our gratuities too and I feel that covers the stateroom and dining staffs adequately. If our room attendant is efficient and friendly we sometimes leave an additional $20 for a week cruise. Same with the dining staff, but only if they are "above average" in their service, recommendations, and friendliness.

Additional tipping is really a personal choice. If you're on a tight budget, the recommended gratuities are perfectly adequate IMHO.

It all depends on the service you receive and if you feel that an extra tip is warranted. On my last 2 cruises I never saw my cabin stewards so I didn't feel that an extra tip was needed. And I did MTD so I never saw the same waiter twice so no extra tip there either. But 3 years ago on the Serenade I did MTD had the same waiter and assistant and they were fabulous so I definitely gave them an extra tip. It's personal experience and you don't know until you get there but maybe budget what you feel maybe appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by pilot
emoji897.pngemoji897.pngemoji897.pngemoji897.png

Sent from my iPad using

Yep another one.

Sorry I guess by this that this has been discussed to death. I am kinda new to this.

It means the person spends way too much time on a message board.

It is absolutely a reasonable question. Tipping is a personal matter, but if no one ever mentions $, it is hard to discern amounts.

I can tell you what we do. Our gratuities have already been pre-paid. We don't eat in the main dining room, but we just leave the tips in place.

On the last few cruises we have tipped the room steward an additional $0 to $20 on a 7 night cruise, depending on the level of service we received. If we have to ask for things, are they delivered promptly? Is the stateroom made up in a timely manner? That sort of thing. Sometimes we leave nothing for marginal service or $10. Any additional tip that you provide to a crewmember is money that they would not have ordinarily received so there is no right or wrong amount.

We also provide additional tips to our favorite bartenders, and add a bit more to specialty dining meals. Again, that is just what we do. :)

Tipping is a very personal subject. I would never ask to remove the automatic tips, but it would take something really extraordinary for me to leave an extra tip. We have left extra tips only three times; our waiter on our first cruise; our room steward on our most recent cruise, and our favorite bartender on our most recent cruise. Our waiter on cruise 1 and our steward on Harmony we left an extra $10 for at the end of the week, but the bartender on Harmony we probably tipped close to $200 over the cruise, but she left such a huge impact on us that we actually cancelled a later cruise so we could rebook on a ship she would be on. Fe made that cruise for us, I think we took more pictures with her than we did anywhere else on the ship.

To me, that's the kind of impression somebody has to make to justify an extra tip. That's not the most popular position, and I'm sure there are those who think me cheap, but it's how I handle it. I certainly hope the automatic gratuities make their way to all the people who serve me, but extra tips require something really memorable.

Can anyone explain why many on CC say that having the same waiter each night warrants different tipping to having a different one each night??????
I'm sure someone can come up with an explanation. It wouldn't make sense and wouldn't be something you'd need to pay heed to, but I'm sure someone could craft a rationalization for that claim.

Here's how I look at it.The cruise line sets the auto-tip rate. The staff know this rate and the splits when they sign their contracts. So the cruise lines and their staff have already pre - approved the tip amounts. If they are happy with them, so I'm I. That being said, if some staff member 'leaps over tall buildings' for me I will tip a bit extra.

I also might pay an additional tip or pre-tip to the bartenders and waiters for special "Superman" service but that's an entirely different debate. :halo:

Can anyone explain why many on CC say that having the same waiter each night warrants different tipping to having a different one each night??????

I think it's because it makes people feel less anonymous, like they have developed somewhat of a relationship with that person, and now they feel like they owe them more than a relative stranger. So there is guilt involved.

I would like to hear others views about tipping. I usually prepay my tips. However, at the end of the trip I all ways feel guilty not leaving anything. So on my most recent cruise, last month, I gave the waiter and his assistant and the room steward additional. I never know if what I leave is considered being "cheap". I am not as frequent a cruiser as most here. I usually get the inside room and save all year for this. I will be going on another short 4 nights soon and wonder what other people do?

My view is that the auto tips are perfectly adequate. Some people do not even leave these, but that is for another thread.

Do not feel guilty if you do not leave 'extra'. If you want to, fine, that is great, you are making someone very happy with whatever amount you choose to leave, but it is not necessary or expected.

I'm sure someone can come up with an explanation. It wouldn't make sense and wouldn't be something you'd need to pay heed to, but I'm sure someone could craft a rationalization for that claim.

Because more frequent encounters increase the chances of someone managing to create some sort of emotional connection. And when emotions get involved actions don't always make sense.;):)

A Co Worker just got off a cruise a few weeks ago. She said she asked her cabin steward about tipping and he said the prepaid tips do not find there way to the workers. They prefer the guest to leave cash in the cabin or give it to them directly

A Co Worker just got off a cruise a few weeks ago. She said she asked her cabin steward about tipping and he said the prepaid tips do not find there way to the workers. They prefer the guest to leave cash in the cabin or give it to them directly

A great ruse to get more $$! [emoji851]