Question about Over-the-door organizers- Emerald Princess

We're sailing on the Emerald Princess next Saturday(1st cruise ever- EEEEEE!) and we know we definitely want an over-the-door organizer to save space, but I've purchased them in the past for home and found the door doesn't want to close with them- is there a tried and true brand/other better way to use them?

Thanks!

I've used an organizer on every cruise I've gone on (23).

There are 2 "robe hooks" inside the bathroom door. I hang the organizer on them. The hooks are too close together to spread the organizer out completely, so I take a closet hanger (the wooden ones with clips work best) and hang it on the hooks upside down;p. I use the ties on the organizer to tie to the hanger and use large heavy-duty rubber bands on each hook/hanger combo to keep the hanger stable.

• Like 1

Call me the contrarian, 21 cruises, 19 with Princess and have never used one and could not conceive of the need for one. Have been on cruises from 1 to 21 days and always had plenty of space.

We cruise for long periods of time and I can't imagine not using an over the door shoe rack. We've used one for over 400 days on the Emerald Princess with no issue.

Here is a pic of ours on the outside of the bathroom door on the Emerald.

image-754847.jpeg

We used this same one for 14 years and I finally tossed it at the end of our winter season. I have just ordered this one, which I also use at home over the bathroom door.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Best-Quality-Lebogner-Over-The-Door-Hanging-Shoe-Storage-Organizer-/262014908877?hash=item3d014e39cd:g:G7IAAOSw8-tWXfnD

We like the kind with four hooks because they are very stable. We have never had one, either at home or on a ship, damage a door.

Especially on the Emerald Princess, the inside cabins lack much drawer space. I don't like things sitting on the bathroom vanity or the counter in the cabin. These shoe racks work perfectly.

Been on over forty cruises and never used one or needed one. Sometimes I think people that bring so much stuff must be driving to the port because with the weight requirements for the airlines I don't take all of those things, especially when going to Europe, etc. save your money. My humble opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Call me the contrarian, 21 cruises, 19 with Princess and have never used one and could not conceive of the need for one. Have been on cruises from 1 to 21 days and always had plenty of space.
Like you, I've never used one and never needed to, even on month-long cruises. I just organize everything into Ziploc bags and store them on the shelf under the sink. As you say, plenty of space. I bring only travel-sized toiletries.

We cruise for long periods of time and I can't imagine not using an over the door shoe rack. We've used one for over 400 days on the Emerald Princess with no issue.

Here is a pic of ours on the outside of the bathroom door on the Emerald.

image-754847.jpeg

We used this same one for 14 years and I finally tossed it at the end of our winter season. I have just ordered this one, which I also use at home over the bathroom door.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Best-Quality-Lebogner-Over-The-Door-Hanging-Shoe-Storage-Organizer-/262014908877?hash=item3d014e39cd:g:G7IAAOSw8-tWXfnD

We like the kind with four hooks because they are very stable. We have never had one, either at home or on a ship, damage a door.

Especially on the Emerald Princess, the inside cabins lack much drawer space. I don't like things sitting on the bathroom vanity or the counter in the cabin. These shoe racks work perfectly.

This is exactly the one we use, and like you, we couldn't be without it. It keeps the cabin much neater and organized. We like the 4 hook style for stability, plus we put a hole in the edge and use a shoelace to tie it to the bathroom door handle.

We used one on the Emerald last summer, and I will be bringing it with me on the Crown in July. It kept us organized and made getting ready so much easier for us. I got mine at Walmart in the aisle with other storage items. Didn't cost much, but worked a treat!

I took one on my first cruise of 53 nights (was with my daughter) and now take it on cruises 10 days and over - even though I now travel solo . They are handy .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took one on our last cruise and used suctioned hooks. Just make sure you get some moisture under the suction before you press it on the door. The steam from the shower has a tendency to release them if you don't. I also don't like clutter on my sink.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Count me in as one who wouldn't cruise without one. I love being able to find something in a matter of seconds instead of spending time searching through bags or drawers.

We have always found the cabin's shelves and drawers enough for our needs.

So have we, even on our 28 day and 33 day cruises.

And we bring OTC items as well as our toiletries and sunscreen.

• 6 months later...

Other than having your toiletries right at hand, where you can easily see everything and not have to dig, another good reason for the over-the-door organizers is that you can store bottles of liquid items upright and not worry about having them spill inside the bag you may otherwise be using. Also, if you're cruising with friends, such as a few "girlfriends", there isn't always room for EVERYONE'S stuff in the bathroom.

To each his own, I say. I find it discouraging when someone asks a question, and rather than answer it, others feel the need to add their opinion.

So to help answer the question, rather than use the hooks, I use baggie ties and connect mine to a pant or skirt hanger. The hanger can then hang on the robe hooks, or in the closet, which is almost always right outside the bathroom door.

I just got off the Island and used one for the first time. LOVED IT, so glad I had it. The hooks that came with it were too narrow to fit the width of the door. Thankfully, I had brought extra magnetic hooks. So I attached four magnetic hooks to the door and hooked the holes for the shoe organizer directly on there. Needed all four, otherwise it was too heavy and pulled it down. But it worked great.

That's the same one we use. The clamps have to be bent a little to cover the top of the door which is slightly bigger than normal doors. Also I'm thinking of marking where the towel knobs are and putting grommets there so the bag doesn't poke out and you still get the use of the towel knobs.

We like ours hanging INSIDE the bathroom. Looks neater and many of the toiletries we need are right at hand then instead of opening the door and reaching around to the other side of it to get what we need.

What I've done is cut the last row of pockets out so there are 3 rows instead of 4. I used thick shoelaces in the top and hook those onto the 2 knobs on the inside of the door at the top. Works well for us and best of all, it keeps the rest of the cabin really clean and clutter-free so that the cabin steward doesn't have to move around a bunch of stuff to do his job.