Southern Caribbean advice please

I would really like advice on choosing a Southern Caribbean cruise.. I have done the Eastern and Western to death. I know I want to go to the mud baths in St. Lucia and see the ostrich farms in Aruba. I also know I am sick of looking at poverty like in Jamaica, but I still like local culture.. I was told there are caves to explore and different things to see in Southern Caribbean.. I also want to leave out of a Florida port. We are a couple in our late 50s. Kids rograms not important.

Any suggestions will be appreciated :)

Hi there, couple of things:

First of all, there is poverty on all of the islands. We have been to most of them over the years (not bragging, just mentioning it) and my husband grew up in St. Lucia (still has family there). There is poverty in St. Lucia and on every island we have been to. Sometimes it is in your face, other times not so much. But I just wanted to mention this as you specifically did too. :)

You don't mention dates, price, or preferred cruise line, but Royal Caribbean has an 11 night Southern itinerary on Serenade of the Seas, which includes your two preferred ports. You can check their website for details.

Get a guidebook from your library...and see what suits you in each place...then plan your itinerary! There is plenty to do in each place, but it's always best to know something about the places you'll visit!

Karen, I was just going to mention that it is rare to find the same itinerary the includes both St. Lucia and Aruba due to their locations in the SC. But indeed RCI Serenade from Ft. Lauderdale offers the 11 night you refer to that includes Curacao, Aruba, Bonnaire, Antigua, and St. Lucia.

Most itineraries from FL to the SC will be 9 - 11 nights (some longer) due to the cruising distance to get there and back. Most shorter 7 night SC itineraries depart from San Juan.

As alternatives, RCI also offers a Navigator 9 day from Miami that includes their private destination of Labadee, Haiti, and Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao.

Celebrity also offers an 11 day on Equinox from Miami that includes St. Thomas, Tortola, St. Martin, Antigua, Barbados, and St. Lucia.

You just need to go to the different cruise line web sites and check their SC offerings for comparison. But the SC is one of our favorite areas to cruise and there are a number of very good itineraries to choose from, with the ones that Karen and I mentioned as just a couple of examples.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Get a guidebook from your library...and see what suits you in each place...then plan your itinerary! There is plenty to do in each place, but it's always best to know something about the places you'll visit!

Please CB, we can try a little better than that! I realize this is one of your favorite answers, but everything you need and more can be researched with better information on line from the comforts of home. :rolleyes:

I would really like advice on choosing a Southern Caribbean cruise.. I have done the Eastern and Western to death. I know I want to go to the mud baths in St. Lucia and see the ostrich farms in Aruba. I also know I am sick of looking at poverty like in Jamaica, but I still like local culture.. I was told there are caves to explore and different things to see in Southern Caribbean.. I also want to leave out of a Florida port. We are a couple in our late 50s. Kids rograms not important.

Any suggestions will be appreciated :)[/quote

You really only need to use your computer and begin looking or use your TA. I simply tell my TA what I have in mind and she presents me with a number of options and prices.

For me the Southern Caribbean must include the ports of ABC: Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao.

Then how many days: 7, 9, 10, 11, 12. If cruising out of FL I'd opt for at least 9 days.

What cruise line do you prefer? Most have some sort of Southern Caribbean itineraries especially RCCL, X, HAL,or even CCL or NCL. Want to do a step up - Viking Ocean cruises has wonderful 11 day cruises to the West Indies which I'll be on come 1/6/2018. :)

Consider taking a DEEP Southern to the ABC Islands (Aruba-Bonaire-Curacao)! :D

I know, right? Phenomenal!! We hit the ABC's on a repo cruise and it was fabulous. I actually was going to check the repo cruises first but I ended up seeing what Royal offered, and indeed Serenade does go to both the ports OP mentioned.

So I did check the repos and on Oct. 20/17 Serenade will do her annual Boston to Fort Lauderdale repo which hits the A and C islands, as well as St. Lucia. Oh, be still my heart.... I am so there in spirit! :D:D:D

Love the southern Caribbean. Highly recommend Royal Caribbean 's two cruises from Florida. Easier for me than traveling to San Juan.

Did the Serenade last year and Navigator in March of this year. Navigator's nine day Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao and private beach in Labadee was a great cruise; sailed out of Miami.

Love the southern Caribbean. Highly recommend Royal Caribbean 's two cruises from Florida. Easier for me than traveling to San Juan.

Did the Serenade last year and Navigator in March of this year. Navigator's nine day Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao and private beach in Labadee was a great cruise; sailed out of Miami.

We did Navigator in December as well and unless St. Lucia is a must this is a very good itinerary,