Outerwear for British Isles cruise early July

licram

I'd recommend a reusable foldable poncho or a dual-purpose wind breaker and rain jacket. We brought the foldable ponchos which are nice and fit in a small backpack or purse and cover your whole body- the U.K. can be windy, it was raining sideways one day on our cruise. Prepare for layers, think like going to the Pacific Northwest, always a chance of rain and a little chilly but generally nice.

July should be hot in the UK but not all the time. It will very likely rain, so a thin waterproof coat with hood is a good idea. You can wear warm clothing under this as an appropriate number of layers depending on the temperature.

Regards John

As a native Brit, I'd recommend layers (expect the temperature to be anything between 13 to 30 degrees from one day to the next) and a lightweight, breathable waterproof outer layer. I'd take an umbrella on the cruise and then only take it ashore if rain is forecast.

Here's hoping for fine weather fr you 🖒

Sent from my SM-G900F using Forums mobile app

We did this cruise last July, wear layers.. a shirt with sweater is a must..also a rain jacket with a hood. The weather changes all the time. I`d say it was in the 60`s most of the time.we had collapsible umbrella in our backpack.

A lightweight waterproof hooded windbreaker is the better option. Juggling an umbrella in an area crowded with tourists can be difficult.

I agree. Personally I can't be bothered trying to manage an umbrella in wind or in crowds / shopping / trying to hold maps etc and then have a wet one to deal with when I get indoors again. I prefer to have the option of a hat or hood.

We are packing thin water resistant rain jackets with hood. They have little warmth. So we are packing a fleece type jacket as well. We can wear the fleece jackets alone or put it under the rain jacket which is more like a windbreaker. It can be chilly at sea and up in Orkney. We will also pack small umbrellas.

Please help. I'm stuck. Do I need umbrellas? I don't want to be carrying a lot of extra things in ports and on excursions. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Snow shoes may be useful - it has snowed in July before!!

To be honest it is a bit like crossing the Atlantic - be prepared for whatever may arrive.

We are packing thin water resistant rain jackets with hood. They have little warmth. So we are packing a fleece type jacket as well. We can wear the fleece jackets alone or put it under the rain jacket which is more like a windbreaker. It can be chilly at sea and up in Orkney. We will also pack small umbrellas.

Toria,

Yes it was windy at Orkney..we did the giants causeway in Northern Ireland along the coast... very windy, have fun!

• 5 weeks later...