Unlimited laundry misinformation?

Retired 07

It was my understanding through these boards that the unlimited laundry package in Europe is $9/day, but if you book it in advance, it is $7/day. The per bag price is $30. I just called ship services, and was told that it is $9/day no matter when you book it. Are the boards wrong, or am I misunderstanding?

Things change all the time plus what ship services tells you is not always 100% accurate.

Exactly. It seems to be luck of the drawer when you call Seattle. Wait a couple of days and try again. It took me three times last year to per-book our Koningsdam laundry package.

Just made 4 stars so now we get it as a benefit!

Call on Monday and see what you are told.

Too many in Seattle do not always have the correct information.

And remember to ask for an e-mail confirmation if you get the lower price.

Thank you. I will call Monday. I do not understand how different people in the same dept. could have different information.

Thank you. I will call Monday. I do not understand how different people in the same dept. could have different information.

It happens all the time. Recently I got 2 different answers from 2 different people in Shore Excursions. You just have to keeping asking unfortunately.

Let us know how it goes next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't recall any threads saying you receive a pre-cruise discount. we paid pre-cruise $9/day Europe last year.

$7/day maybe your thinking for America sailings. That's the price we've prepaid for our 2017 fall sailing.

Don't recall any threads saying you receive a pre-cruise discount. we paid pre-cruise $9/day Europe last year.

$7/day maybe your thinking for America sailings. That's the price we've prepaid for our 2017 fall sailing.

If you do a search for "unlimited laundry" you'll find many results about the $7/day advance purchase in Europe.

If you do a search for "unlimited laundry" you'll find many results about the $7/day advance purchase in Europe.

Yes, you will but you will also find at least one post/thread (from me) where I paid in advance at $7/day but got a credit on my onboard account and charged at $9/day (this was in 2013, I think). The cost is $9/day (unless it's recently gone up from that) for laundry in Europe. Yes, some did get a discount by doing what you're trying to do. But, realize that HAL may have finally caught on and put a stop to it. So try for a few days to see if you get a different response, as others have suggested, or just bite the bullet and pay the $9/day.

Yes, you will but you will also find at least one post/thread (from me) where I paid in advance at $7/day but got a credit on my onboard account and charged at $9/day (this was in 2013, I think). The cost is $9/day (unless it's recently gone up from that) for laundry in Europe. Yes, some did get a discount by doing what you're trying to do. But, realize that HAL may have finally caught on and put a stop to it. So try for a few days to see if you get a different response, as others have suggested, or just bite the bullet and pay the $9/day.

That bolded bit is exactly what I was thinking has happened.

I'm not going to scour the entire site

I did see a thread for people on spring TA buying pre-cruise for $7 vs $9 getting billed off the boat.

We just did the Transatlantic on the Koningsdam and were on for 28 days. On the way to Rome it was $7 a day and went up to $9 a day when we got to Rome and stayed on for the Mediterranean cruise.

I recently purchased unlimited laundry for my upcoming Baltic cruise. The HAL rep told me that it was $7 per day everywhere but Europe, which is $9 per day, and the reason for the higher cost was that Europe has higher gray water standards than other places.

They can and often do. You know the old phrase, trust but verify. Any large organization does not run with 100% efficiency.

Have you considered using the $20 bag every few days instead and not do a daily laundry option? (Except maybe it is more than $20 now - need to recheck that too)

It was my understanding through these boards that the unlimited laundry package in Europe is $9/day, but if you book it in advance, it is $7/day. The per bag price is $30. I just called ship services, and was told that it is $9/day no matter when you book it. Are the boards wrong, or am I misunderstanding?

They can and often do. You know the old phrase, trust but verify. Any large organization does not run with 100% efficiency.

Have you considered using the $20 bag every few days instead and not do a daily laundry option? (Except maybe it is more than $20 now - need to recheck that too)

OP will be in Europe. From my reading here on CC, the bag is $30 per bag in Europe.

We'll be on the Zuiderdam's Viking Passage next year, which is essentially a westbound TA that starts in Copenhagen and winds up in NY via Norway, Iceland, Greenland, and Canada. So, part Europe, part not.

Any idea how laundry prices are treated on such a sailing?

Thanks!

I also prepaid for Europe and paid $9.00 a day. I was also told that was the price for Europe. It was worth the unlimited for us because we will be arriving on the ship with dirty clothes after a precruise stay, have 3 of us travelling, and will leave the ship with clean clothes for our postcruise stay. We are only planning on bringing 10 days worth of clothing for our 25 day trip.

When you say that HAL may have caught on to what I'm trying to do, you make it sound like I'm doing something underhanded and sneaky. I'm just trying to get a better price based on the info I learned here on Cruise Critic. Caught on to what, exactly?

I recently purchased unlimited laundry for my upcoming Baltic cruise. The HAL rep told me that it was $7 per day everywhere but Europe, which is $9 per day, and the reason for the higher cost was that Europe has higher gray water standards than other places.

I have always wondered why the unlimited laundry in Europe costs more than the rest of the world. But this lame excuse about gray water discharge takes the cake. Compared to the amount of sheets, pillow cases, and towels that are washed each and every day from 1200-1500 cabins, the amount of laundry for guests is minimal. Yes, they do take extra care for guest's clothing, but that level of care should happen world-wide. The extra amount of gray water caused by the guest's laundry probably amounts to 5% of the ship's total, but they charge a 22% increase for the daily rate and a 34% increase by the bag. My guess for the higher rates in Europe is similar to the airlines extra charges for everything. They do it because they can.

When you say that HAL may have caught on to what I'm trying to do, you make it sound like I'm doing something underhanded and sneaky. I'm just trying to get a better price based on the info I learned here on Cruise Critic. Caught on to what, exactly?

I'm sorry you got that impression; that was not my intent. However, there have also been reports of people complaining onboard the ship in Europe about the pricing and got price adjustments. I had hoped that HAL had learned from that and trained their Ship Services staff that the pricing was higher in Europe and to charge accordingly when processing pre cruise charges such as this.

We'll be on the Zuiderdam's Viking Passage next year, which is essentially a westbound TA that starts in Copenhagen and winds up in NY via Norway, Iceland, Greenland, and Canada. So, part Europe, part not.

Thanks!

We will be on the Westerdam westbound Oktober TA, i called them tiwce, it is 9$.

I think they now all know about the 9$ in Europe, still a good deal i guess.

We'll be on the Zuiderdam's Viking Passage next year, ...

On that itinerary in 2015 on the Eurodam we paid $30 per bag, so I would guess the unlimited is $9/day.