Will Celebrity follow Royal Caribbean's New Non-Refundable Cruise Deposit?

ChucktownSteve

Well here is my take on the subject. Like many others my wife and I both work. Neither one of us can be sure if our vacation will be approved 12 to 18 months out. Many times these cruise lines offer incentives to book early. If the deposit is non refundable I will not be compelled to book. This could back fire causing a reduction in early bookings which would drive the price down in order to fill the ship. This could actually benefit me by creating lower prices closer to sailing. I had to cancel the last two cruises that I booked 12 months out due to vacation time and medical reasons. Fortunately it was before final payment. It was really disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well here is my take on the subject. Like many others my wife and I both work. Neither one of us can be sure if our vacation will be approved 12 to 18 months out. Many times these cruise lines offer incentives to book early. If the deposit is non refundable I will not be compelled to book. This could back fire causing a reduction in early bookings which would drive the price down in order to fill the ship. This could actually benefit me by creating lower prices closer to sailing. I had to cancel the last two cruises that I booked 12 months out due to vacation time and medical reasons. Fortunately it was before final payment. It was really disappointing.

I couldn't agree with you more!

This has been challenged in the UK and it will be interesting to see how travel companies react when challenged.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/24/crackdown-on-unfair-company-tcs-spells-the-end-of-non-refundable/amp/

It's unreasonable to keep the whole of the deposit when the holiday has been resold. Before someone tells me it's due to greater protection in the UK under the law. There has been much discussion around that point of view. As yet no one has provided a link to the legislation they purport gives us greater protection and thus justifies the difference in T&Cs in different countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Exactly. ???ATOL???ABTa??? It's a joke. This "protection" will be useful for when Royal Caribbean International goes belly up and strands it's passengers somewhere.....right....I have a better chance of playing Captain....

What has this got to do with the subject of the post?

It has to do with a statement that all good cabins are taken by people early that don't plan on keeping there reservation. So others can't get the cabins they want.

I think this is a great idea and am all for it. The number of people who book cruises on a whim and take up space they never intend to actually follow-through with is a problem. It costs in customer service time and system time every time someone calls to cancel or make a change. It costs the line in opportunity as well since people tend to book the most desirable cabins first. We've had several people on these boards boast that they reserve cabins on cruises with overlapping itineraries so they get what they want without having to commit because they can cancel up until payment is demanded. This is only an issue because there will always be people who try to "beat the system".

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forums mobile app

Here is another thing to consider. Yes people do book to reserve the best room or price with a slight intention of going or waiting on a better offer. In the mean time the cruise line has that deposit as cash flow until the voyage is canceled. That is a lot of cash flow to to walk away from. This won't make any difference in the booking trend for those in the U.K. but I bet seniors who are on a fixed income will think twice before they leave a non refundable deposit.

That's not beating the system.....making bookings is exactly what Celebrity wants....they invite bookings with specials of only a $50 deposit. Celebrity is undoubtedly quite happy that they have succeeded and their early bookings are up.

Exactly. Look what happened when they opened up the Edge bookings. People snapped them up even though many knew they would probably cancel. Celebrity loved it because you could see what happened to cabin rates as the bookings snatched up the inventory. Can you say artificially inflated?

Even when reservations are cancelled later, the rates will be kept pretty high. That's supply & demand.

I really don't understand your objection. On airline flights if you book non-refundable its a cheaper fare. Further, if you change the flight there is a service fee to do so. Seems reasonable and fair. If you book a refundable flight you pay a hefty fare increase to have that flexibility.

If you can not commit because of personal reasons, then you risk losing your deposit...either that or you should have to pay more to keep your options open for a full refund Nothing unusual about this concept. When people start abusing the current system, Celebrity has no choice but to do something. There is no Machiavellian plan for manipulating booking to increase pricing as times creeps along on a particular sailing. Its done automatically based on the numbers of booked vs available cabins in each class. Its the constant fluidity of cancellations and changes without penalty that create the yo-yo effect. Some posters here have this paranoia that the big bad company is out to screw them any way they can, so everyone needs to beware. Utter nonsense. Rather, good business sense.

So would it be the full dep forfeited, or a percentage based on a time schedule, or just $100 to change ship/ dates?

Do you think this would reduce overbooking that results in Celeb cancelling folks with res as has recently been discussed on CC????

We are now booked with a specific stateroom (`vs guarantee class) on a so called overbooked cruise and hope no issues develop...

. if the new program fixes that maybe a good idea,,.,,we' d have to get cancel any reason ins rather than what Celeb sells

I really don't understand your objection. On airline flights if you book non-refundable its a cheaper fare. Further, if you change the flight there is a service fee to do so. Seems reasonable and fair. If you book a refundable flight you pay a hefty fare increase to have that flexibility.

If you can not commit because of personal reasons, then you risk losing your deposit...either that or you should have to pay more to keep your options open for a full refund Nothing unusual about this concept. When people start abusing the current system, Celebrity has no choice but to do something. There is no Machiavellian plan for manipulating booking to increase pricing as times creeps along on a particular sailing. Its done automatically based on the numbers of booked vs available cabins in each class. Its the constant fluidity of cancellations and changes without penalty that create the yo-yo effect. Some posters here have this paranoia that the big bad company is out to screw them any way they can, so everyone needs to beware. Utter nonsense. Rather, good business sense.

I only book with JetBlue. Living in NY I have the luxury of being able to book reasonable flights only a few months out. JFK is their hub so there are more choices. Last year we had to cancel our cruise due to my wife being hospitalized. JetBlue gave me full credit for the price that I paid and no change fee. I had a full year from the date of the flight to book another flight. Also airlines don't run the specials that the cruise lines run to entice you to book. Cruise lines can do whatever they want in terms of deposits. However I would never book any vacation without being able to get a refund with in a reasonable time frame.

I bet seniors who are on a fixed income will think twice before they leave a non refundable deposit.

I don't think things will change from seniors, especially since we don't have to schedule vacations around a work schedules. Plus, we book non-refundable airfare now, so if there needs to be a cruise cancellation, the deposit would be just like the cost of changing airfare.

I don't think things will change from seniors, especially since we don't have to schedule vacations around a work schedules. Plus, we book non-refundable airfare now, so if there needs to be a cruise cancellation, the deposit would be just like the cost of changing airfare.

You can insure your deposit. We do to cover preexisting conditions. But if you want to just walk away you have to buy cancel for any reason. You would have to absorb the cost of ins. Now it will pay to watch for those low deposit sales.

OK, so I am one of those evil ones. I never intended to be but it just happened... And Celebrity is definitely an enabler!

Long story short, I have blocked 2 cabins on a two-week + two-week B2B, two desirable cabins, knowing full well that I will only use one. I would give up the second one but my guy at X advises me not to for now.

I booked a B2B while onboard. Change (1), a new itinerary came out, I switched my res to the new route. Change (2) was when I was again aboard and there were special deals going down. Can you apply those to my existing res? Can I cancel and rebook? Nope. So Change(3) was to book another B2B cabin on the same ship at the same time. Both cabins are among those said to be most desirable. But I only need one.

I get back home, call my guy at Celebrity. I want my original cabin, I want the best deal I can get. Dump the 2nd cabin and give me a refund, or cancel the 1st cabin, move the 2nd res to the first cabin. He goes away, mutters for a while. I don't know at this point what I have in terms of perks and OBC and reduced deposit or whatever. He comes back, he tells me that I will have my preferred cabin and that the original booking and 3rd booking offers have been consolidated to the extent possible. OK I sez, so now cancel the 2nd cabin. No he sez, keep it for now. You only put a $50 deposit down, you are getting xyz benefits, and those will move if/when you want to book another cruise and transfer this booking.

If the deposits were nonrefundable, I probably wouldn't have gotten into this convoluted game playing to try and save a few bucks. Lets say X implements a new policy which includes (1) an early booking bonus, with (2) a moderate deposit, (3) continued ability to move reservations up to say 6 months before sailing, and (4) no refunds made within 6 months of the sail date. I would have no problems with this.

OK, so I am one of those evil ones. I never intended to be but it just happened... And Celebrity is definitely an enabler!

Long story short, I have blocked 2 cabins on a two-week + two-week B2B, two desirable cabins, knowing full well that I will only use one. I would give up the second one but my guy at X advises me not to for now.

I booked a B2B while onboard. Change (1), a new itinerary came out, I switched my res to the new route. Change (2) was when I was again aboard and there were special deals going down. Can you apply those to my existing res? Can I cancel and rebook? Nope. So Change(3) was to book another B2B cabin on the same ship at the same time. Both cabins are among those said to be most desirable. But I only need one.

I get back home, call my guy at Celebrity. I want my original cabin, I want the best deal I can get. Dump the 2nd cabin and give me a refund, or cancel the 1st cabin, move the 2nd res to the first cabin. He goes away, mutters for a while. I don't know at this point what I have in terms of perks and OBC and reduced deposit or whatever. He comes back, he tells me that I will have my preferred cabin and that the original booking and 3rd booking offers have been consolidated to the extent possible. OK I sez, so now cancel the 2nd cabin. No he sez, keep it for now. You only put a $50 deposit down, you are getting xyz benefits, and those will move if/when you want to book another cruise and transfer this booking.

If the deposits were nonrefundable, I probably wouldn't have gotten into this convoluted game playing to try and save a few bucks. Lets say X implements a new policy which includes (1) an early booking bonus, with (2) a moderate deposit, (3) continued ability to move reservations up to say 6 months before sailing, and (4) no refunds made within 6 months of the sail date. I would have no problems with this.

And this is why the airlines non refundable deposit can't be compared with the cruise line. The airlines are just getting you from point A to B with out all of the marketing tactics.

I am currently holding a great cabin (1140 on an m-class ship) on a cruise I know I won't take....it was part of a B2B2B that looked interesting at the time. Reviewing our travel plans a month or so later, we decided it wouldn't work for us so we've already moved two of the bookings to other cruises. Why am I still holding that cabin?

We booked the cruise on-board for $50pp deposit. The on-board booking OBC perk will follow that reservation if we move it to a different cruise....of course adjusted to the type/length of the cruise. I actually tried to cancel the booking and the TA told me to hold it because of that extra OBC...in case I want to book another cruise with Celebrity.

I'd be happy to keep that on-board booking OBC option with my $50 refundable deposit without holding that great cabin...but no way to do it.

It's not just the low, refundable deposit...it's the on-board booking OBC that keeps cabins booked until final payment time.

I suspect it will depend on how successful it is with RCCL. While there is a cost for cancellations, cruise lines encourage and rely on early bookings. If this discourages too many people from early booking, RCCL will probably cancel this test. I know, in my work situation I could never get vacation approved more than a few months out, so I will not make an booking with RCCL now and hope my vacation is approved. I have had to cancel cruises just outside of final payment in the past.

In fact, since most of my cruises are just escape the winter Caribbean cruises, if this policy expands across the industry I'll probably wait until inside final payment to see if there are bargains.:D

Of course for longer cruises outside of the Caribbean, which I like to book in advance I'll just avoid RCCL because of the new policy.

Robert

This is only an OPTION, not a new policy. If you want to book with the old deposit policy you can. They are giving you the option to book either way and giving you incentives to book this way with lower fares and obc.

In the UK the policy has always been that if you book a holiday - cruise, AI resort or package - the deposit is non-refundable. That is why we only ever book something we really want to do and not risk losing money if we change our mind.

In the UK we would be amazed if we could have a deposit back if we cancelled ! I think the idea that we could get our money back once the deposit is paid is alien to us --- we've lost quiet a lot of money (the deposit) in the past due to close family illness when we have had to cancel.

Wish they'd pay us some OBC for the pain :rolleyes:

It does make me cross because it is the same cruise line, so surely as passengers we should all have the same contract.

I'm not for it at all.....I am not someone who books many cruises early and then cancels....we generally book what we want and unless something comes up we go on the cruise. But I don't like the idea that if we have a conflict at some point that we will be penalized for it........they will lose my "early booking" dollars when this goes into effect....and I'm sure I am not alone.....apparently they are fine with that....

They are in the UK ..... :(

In the UK we would be amazed if we could have a deposit back if we cancelled ! I think the idea that we could get our money back once the deposit is paid is alien to us --- we've lost quiet a lot of money (the deposit) in the past due to close family illness when we have had to cancel.

Wish they'd pay us some OBC for the pain :rolleyes:

It does make me cross because it is the same cruise line, so surely as passengers we should all have the same contract.

[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻

A very big like for this post.

Cue all the comments about the supposed legal protections we enjoy in the UK. Please include a link to the pertinent law if stating this alleged fact. I have yet to find anything. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bengaltiger1