Lost luggage on Anthem

The vouchers good for one year till next May, we are all going next Aug. and the $100 bathing suite was the cheapest one one the ship that fit him. It just seems to me that sat night, sun and all day Monday they were dealing with this and getting clothes. Which left Tuesday and Wednesday to have fun. So the 5 day cruise kind of turned out to 2 day cruise. That's all I'm saying. And this cruise just my son and daughter in law went for his birthday, we watched our grandson for them so they can be alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I think they didn´t Need any clothes for that;p

While I can see how uncomfortable it must be to have no luggage it does happen and there´s not really much anyone can do about it.

It seems like RCI did all their best in the way of recovery and giving them $300 plus a free cruise is more than generous IMO. What more do they want?

You however should be ashamed at their behaviour. Yelling at everyone is certainly not what you should have taught your son. :mad:

So, ship happens. As in life, so much of it is what we make of it.

Take the $300 credit and make it go as far as possible on board and then take a few hours at your first port to supplement. Really, minimum needed was one bathing suit, one pair of shorts, two t-shirts, a pair of slacks, a polo, pack of socks and pack of underwear (although commando is also an option!). Then, convince RC to give you free laundry 3x and you are good to go! No way that cost "a fortune". If they chose to purchase 5 all new outfits in the most expensive stores, sure, but that was their choice.

Take this as a learning opportunity. When life throws you lemons and all that.

I spent 6 months preparing for a 10 night trip to Nepal. While taxiing on our cross-atlantic leg our plane ran into the tow truck on the tarmac (look it up, Southern China Airlines from LAX to China in November 2016). We ended up spending more than a day camped out at the airport while they kept saying they were working on getting us and the 500 other passengers rerouted. Ended up having to take a plane out THREE days later and were stuck in LA (we live in CO). We could have whined and complained and moped the entire time, but instead we toured around LA, went to Universal Studios, were super nice to the airline attendants, and got an upgrade on the 15 hour flight to China. NO ONE else got an upgrade, but because we were kind and understanding we did. Got to Nepal 3 days late and enjoyed every minute. When people ask about our trip, we talk about how amazing the mountain views were and how kind the people are. The 3 day delay getting there is rarely brought up.

The vouchers good for one year till next May, we are all going next Aug. and the $100 bathing suite was the cheapest one one the ship that fit him. It just seems to me that sat night, sun and all day Monday they were dealing with this and getting clothes. Which left Tuesday and Wednesday to have fun. So the 5 day cruise kind of turned out to 2 day cruise. That's all I'm saying. And this cruise just my son and daughter in law went for his birthday, we watched our grandson for them so they can be alone.

Amazing - and these are adults, right? Assuming your son boarded the ship wearing decent clothing, there is absolutely no reason they couldn't have eaten anywhere they wanted on the ship. While at the pool the next day, they could have had the clothing he was wearing laundered (I'm sure the ship would have taken care of that). If they actually spent more than half of their vacation dealing with getting clothes, all I can say is wow! The cruiseline went above and beyond IMO. Your DDIL sounds like a real joy to be around.

My friend's parents took a cruise many years ago. Her dad was so excited that he was all packed a week before. Her sister decided that his pants would wrinkle so unpacked them and hung them back in the closet. You guessed it - no pants other than the pair he was wearing. He was a large man and nowhere on the ship or the islands they visited were there pants to fit him. A nice fellow cruiser loaned him a pair so he was able to wear a pair while having the other pair cleaned. While he was angry as all get out at his daughter, it did not ruin his vacation. I spent a week in Hawaii (airline lost luggage) with a bathing suit, two pareaus and black velvet flip flops. Always have extra underwear in carry-on.

I concur with several of the posters, 10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is how you react to it.

Since I travel alone, I can't cross-pack, but I do ensure I have an extra outfit, a bathing suit, and toiletries in my carry-on. I've had my baggage left on the tarmac once and learned a lesson.

$300 and a free cruise? I might be willing to have my luggage left behind just for that. :)

A free cruise is more than generous.

No kidding! AirFrance lost my luggage on the flight to my WEDDING and all I got was bag of essential toiletries and a gigantic see-thru white t-shirt to wear until it turned up.

I'd packed the most important things in my carry-on, but with luggage restrictions being what they are I wasn't able to put everything I needed in the carry-on.

. Really, minimum needed was one bathing suit, one pair of shorts, two t-shirts, a pair of slacks, a polo, pack of socks and pack of underwear (although commando is also an option!). Then, convince RC to give you free laundry 3x and you are good to go! No way that cost "a fortune".

With the prices of things in Hamilton, the cost of the limited list you have there might be a fortune to some.

Have you thought about a bluetooth enabled luggage tracker like Tile? Cross packing and packing a change of clothing ok for dinner in a carry-on might also be prudent on future trips.

I'm paranoid and dislike the feeling of wondering if my luggage will arrive, though, so I travel carry-on only and bring my own luggage onboard. The tricky part is finding somewhere to park my carry-on if I board before the room opens. A library, lounge, or long lunch usually does the trick. I also tell the cabin steward that I didn't check any bags as they can get quite worried when the porter doesn't leave any suitcases at your door (opposite of your situation). If I'm going somewhere with long lines (some cruise terminals board exceedingly slowly or have long customs lines) then it is better to put heavy items in a wheeled bag to save my back and shoulders.

Have you thought about a bluetooth enabled luggage tracker like Tile?

How would that help the OP? For some reason the OP already thought the luggage was on the pier - I'm not sure the ship side folks would do anything different.

Sorry this happened. Some suggestion for next time, when dropping off luggage always wait until you see the porters put the luggage in the bin and don't forget to tip them. Always cross pack even when not flying to a cruise and even take a carry-on with a change of clothes just in case. Question about the free cruise, even though voucher is good for one year, if you book now will it be good for the August cruise. Doesn't hurt to ask. I think Royal was more than generous

If they paid with a credit card, they should check whether they have coverage for luggage delays through that.

I'm sorry that this happened, it isn't fair, but they made a choice to let it ruin their trip. Plenty of others have had this happen and just got on with it.

What exactly is it that you think they *should* get? Do they just want to be reimbursed for their cruise and their additional expenses?

This scenario convinced us that we could cruise with less - 4 of us meeting up in Vancouver for a 7 days Alaska cruise from three locations. I had cross packed but we ended up with 2 of 4 suitcases due to airline errors. Those two caught up with us on day 5. In the meantime RCCL gave us laundry daily as well as shirts and toiletries if needed. The guys went to dinner in slacks, shirts and sneakers but no one cares.

End result - we travel with a 22" carry-on each and a personal item, do laundry in the middle of the week, choose clothes that mix and match well.

I am sorry that they let this upset them so much and hope they will relax and have a better time next year.

..It just seems to me that sat night, sun and all day Monday they were dealing with this and getting clothes. Which left Tuesday and Wednesday to have fun. So the 5 day cruise kind of turned out to 2 day cruise...

Think of all the time they saved unpacking and packing! Golly if it took them three days to pick out a $100 bathing SUIT (and not to be contrary but I've seen all sizes on all ships for guys in the $30 range) in the one or two shops on the promenade that may have had them, it would have taken them eons to to get their stuff from the suitcase to the closet.

Look, I get it, nothing drives me crazier than seeing a train at the end of the tunnel and having people who should know more than me assure me that it's just the light at the end of the tunnel. I would have jumped off the tracks if not for their misinformation.

But as you said, their 5 day cruise was more of 2 day cruise... PLUS A FIVE DAY DO OVER. Maybe they take their kid next time, just hope they don't have to go shopping as I can't think of any kid who could stand 3 days of shopping for 4 (men's) outfits.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great, my son has no clothes. After yelling at everyone the gave him $300 to buy clothes. Really? He went to store on ship to get bathing suite to go to pool. suite cost $100. Now how is he suppose to get clothes, underwear to wear rest of cruise with $200. So when they got to Bermuda they went to Hamilton to get clothes and spent a fortune. One day wasted. After complaining RCC gave them a voucher for another cruise to use this year.

What happened to the clothes he was wearing at embarkation? He didn't carry his bathing suit on with him?

A whole day to buy some clothes for a man??

They got a voucher for a cruise?

They didn't have to yell at anyone to get some clothing. Too bad they started it off that way.

We've had luggage checked given to the porters together but delivered to our stateroom separated by a couple le of hours. That probably happens a lot, but leaving a suitcase on the pier very very seldom. That would explain why nobody but you was worried.

Yep.

Your son got $300 and a free cruise, what more do you want for him ?

I suspect he eventually got his suitcase back, so what is needed to make him whole ?

Yep. Plus some clothes from Bermuda! Fun!

That's a great thought to double pack half of your stuff and half of wife's on one bag. My daughter in law said she would go on pier to look for luggage if they didn't have personnel to do it. But of course they wouldn't let her. They had to eat all meal in buffet cause he had no cloth to feel comfortable with in main dining room or specialty restaurant. It really did ruined their trip

The waiters would have been totally fine with it given the circumstances. They didn't even ask? That was their choice.

If she had the feeling, she likely had the time to disembark and go ask on the shore. Or go to a deck and look over to see if she could see it.

Frankly eating at windjammer sounds good to me; it's likely going to be our choice next cruise. We are just so tired of the vegetarian foods in the MDR. I've already started paring down what I bring to "comfy yoga clothes, sit in the sun clothes, and dinner clothes. If we get rid of the mdr then that's a whole class of clothes I don't have to bring.

Splitting the clothing into other bags isn't new. We did it for our honeymoon in 2003 and it was a known thing then.

Also, take your swimsuit on the ship with you!

Who buys a $100 bathing suit anyway !

She said something about "in his size" so that might have been an issue. The shops don't even carry suits in my husband's size, so if he didn't put his in a carryon bag and it was lost there would be no swimming for him.

It just seems to me that sat night, sun and all day Monday they were dealing with this and getting clothes. Which left Tuesday and Wednesday to have fun.

It might seem like it to you because this is what you're taking about, but unless they are horrible negotiators or just like to yell, there's no way this all took 3 full days. Ask them about the Bermuda clothing he got and what about pictures and how was the WJ food?

"Yelled at everyone"? No one on that ship that was yelled at was the person who screwed up and left the bag at the pier.........

Yep

While I can see how uncomfortable it must be to have no luggage it does happen and there´s not really much anyone can do about it.

It seems like RCI did all their best in the way of recovery and giving them $300 plus a free cruise is more than generous IMO. What more do they want?

Yep and yep.

Really, minimum needed was one bathing suit, one pair of shorts, two t-shirts, a pair of slacks, a polo, pack of socks and pack of underwear (although commando is also an option!). Then, convince RC to give you free laundry 3x and you are good to go! No way that cost "a fortune".

Well if he's of an alternative size then it could get very difficult to impossible, and expensive if possible. Islands might not have Casual Male type stores. We would be in trouble if dh lost his luggage. Which is why we keep necessities with us.

Amazing - and these are adults, right? Assuming your son boarded the ship wearing decent clothing, there is absolutely no reason they couldn't have eaten anywhere they wanted on the ship. While at the pool the next day, they could have had the clothing he was wearing laundered (I'm sure the ship would have taken care of that). If they actually spent more than half of their vacation dealing with getting clothes, all I can say is wow! The cruiseline went above and beyond IMO. Your DDIL sounds like a real joy to be around.

My friend's parents took a cruise many years ago. Her dad was so excited that he was all packed a week before. Her sister decided that his pants would wrinkle so unpacked them and hung them back in the closet. You guessed it - no pants other than the pair he was wearing. He was a large man and nowhere on the ship or the islands they visited were there pants to fit him. A nice fellow cruiser loaned him a pair so he was able to wear a pair while having the other pair cleaned. While he was angry as all get out at his daughter, it did not ruin his vacation. I spent a week in Hawaii (airline lost luggage) with a bathing suit, two pareaus and black velvet flip flops. Always have extra underwear in carry-on.

:)

Poor friend's dad! We have a rule to not touch other peoples' packing now. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How would that help the OP? For some reason the OP already thought the luggage was on the pier - I'm not sure the ship side folks would do anything different.

Presumably you could go over to the promenade and try to locate it on shore, if it was left close enough to a smart phone with Tile installed or within bluetooth range. If it were my bag sitting on the pier (and as I said, I'm not quite rational about luggage) and I could "spot it" or determine general area it is in, then you can be sure I'd either be shouting like a fishwife to catch land crew's attention to have it stowed onto the ship or getting off the ship to grab their attention if it isn't too close to last call.

I once had to wear my underwear for 3 days. One day on plane overnight, one day sightseeing, and the next day, when my luggage finally found me. It was unfortunate that I did not get a free trip and $300 spending money.

The deal is that RCCL did not loose your luggage, the handlers did. It's like putting something on wrong plane etc. It happens, but not very often. When it happens, it is not the end of the world, but rather a new adventure.

My credit card gives me a 'budget' for missing items on flights, so I ended up buying about $30.00 worth of essentials and was ready to go shopping if my bag did not show up when they promised.

I always carry a back-pack now that includes one complete change of clothing, and important toiletries just in case.

Surely travel insurance should have covered the cost of clothes that the $300 didn't cover on board. Unless they didn't have that either. Their credit card insurance might also cover this.

Been there done that on lost luggage, 3 out of 5 days in London and I didn't carry anything on the plane. I have now learned to carry some clothes on and the basic toiletries. Didn't spoil our trip!

I'm still trying to figure out how she "knew" that the luggage was left on the pier before the ship even left?

I've also said to DH as we're walking through the shops, it would be relatively easy (besides underwear) to put together a small wardrobe from the shops onboard if luggage was lost. There are shorts, t-shirts, polo shirts, swimsuits, dresses, etc. I don't think it's as difficult as the OP has posted. I'm also not sure why "mommy" or "daddy" is posting. My boys are 31 and 33 and the younger one is married, but if they had an issue on a cruise/vacation I certainly wouldn't be the one posting about it.

The shops have men's swimsuits for about $50 in several choices. And, shopping in Bermuda would take a couple of hours at most. There are clothing stores at Kings Wharf for casual and a quick trip to Hamilton would supply the rest. I think OP is over exaggerating the issue to maybe get something else?

Also, as others have posted we have always cross packed on cruises and we've been cruising since 2005. It's certainly not a new idea.

Yelling at customer service was not the way to go. RCI went above what they needed to do.