Lost luggage on Anthem

My son and daughter in law went on Anthem 5 day cruise to Bermuda to celebrate my sons birthday. Luggage was delivered to room and my sons suite case was not there. They asked about it and was told don't worry it will turn up. My daughter in law had a feeling it was left on pier. She asked them can they check pier before ship leaves. No dont worry it will turn up. We'll ship left and no luggage. Next day still no luggage. Late that afternoon they were told they found luggage on the pier. Great, my son has no clothes. After yelling at everyone the gave him $300 to buy clothes. Really? He went to store on ship to get bathing suite to go to pool. suite cost $100. Now how is he suppose to get clothes, underwear to wear rest of cruise with $200. So when they got to Bermuda they went to Hamilton to get clothes and spent a fortune. One day wasted. After complaining RCC gave them a voucher for another cruise to use this year. Well they can't get time off to go. Now what. If crew just would have listen and check pier in NJ before they left this would have not happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one reason you cross pack. We pack 1/2 my stuff and 1/2 my wife's stuff in each suitcase.

May not have everything but can get by. Can always do laundry in sink.

Don

My son and daughter in law went on Anthem 5 day cruise to Bermuda to celebrate my sons birthday. Luggage was delivered to room and my sons suite case was not there. They asked about it and was told don't worry it will turn up. My daughter in law had a feeling it was left on pier. She asked them can they check pier before ship leaves. No dont worry it will turn up. We'll ship left and no luggage. Next day still no luggage. Late that afternoon they were told they found luggage on the pier. Great, my son has no clothes. After yelling at everyone the gave him $300 to buy clothes. Really? He went to store on ship to get bathing suite to go to pool. suite cost $100. Now how is he suppose to get clothes, underwear to wear rest of cruise with $200. So when they got to Bermuda they went to Hamilton to get clothes and spent a fortune. One day wasted. After complaining RCC gave them a voucher for another cruise to use this year. Well they can't get time off to go. Now what. If crew just would have listen and check pier in NJ before they left this would have not happened.

Wonderful customer service. How much does not cost Royal Caribbean to check the pier?

We've had luggage checked given to the porters together but delivered to our stateroom separated by a couple le of hours. That probably happens a lot, but leaving a suitcase on the pier very very seldom. That would explain why nobody but you was worried. If it happened to me I'd have a hard time finding anything to buy on the ship or in port.

I always stand there and watch our luggage get loaded on a trolley because I'm paranoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That is very upsetting and I understand the frustration, but while the crew that delivers the luggage to the staterooms are (obviously) RCI employees, the baggage handlers on the pier are not. They are contracted dock workers. Where it was left on the pier may not have been in plain sight as if it was it probably would have been spotted prior to sailing and not left behind in the first place. Not sure that an RCI crew member would have found it either.

I am sympathetic to your situation and not trying to make any excuses. But suitcases frequently are separated and are delivered at different times, so the crew would not necessarily think there is a problem at the time. They are also very busy with other boarding responsibilities and may not have had someone available to go ashore to search, especially if there is no certainty at the time that it was left behind. I agree it is very unfortunate but IMO don't think it was the fault of the cruise line. At least they tried to offer something to help.

Question. Did they download the Royal IQ app and try to track the luggage? I know you could do that on the Quantum and I thought you could do that on the Anthem. When you checked your luggage the put a little tag on your checkin pass and you could scan that if I remember correctly.

This is one reason you cross pack. We pack 1/2 my stuff and 1/2 my wife's stuff in each suitcase.

Don

Good advice. I also put anything I might immediately "need" (toiletries, bathing suit, extra underwear and dinner clothes for the first night) in my carry-on. Bummer this happened. It's happened to me on flights, so I'm prepared now.

That's a great thought to double pack half of your stuff and half of wife's on one bag. My daughter in law said she would go on pier to look for luggage if they didn't have personnel to do it. But of course they wouldn't let her. They had to eat all meal in buffet cause he had no cloth to feel comfortable with in main dining room or specialty restaurant. It really did ruined their trip

Your son got $300 and a free cruise, what more do you want for him ?

I suspect he eventually got his suitcase back, so what is needed to make him whole ?

Just re-read the original post - that is quite generous indeed for something that really isn't their fault. The result of a lot of complaining as well it would seem. Agree that should more than compensate them for any out of pocket expense and inconvenience.

Your post said she "Had a feeling the luggage was still on the pier" ... anything you're not telling us about this story ?

Amazed they would give him a free cruise voucher for something that an employee not contracted by RCI appears to have done

After complaining RCC gave them a voucher for another cruise to use this year. Well they can't get time off to go. Now what.

Confused. On your other post you indicate that your son and daughter in law will be traveling with you next year on your 9 night Anthem cruise. The vouchers are typically good for 12 months - is this next cruise not within that time frame so that he can use the voucher?

Whilst I sympathize, yelling at everyone on the ship, really It's not their fault. As others say suitcases being left ashore are rare and they could have tracked their luggage and proven it was ashore and maybe it could have been rectified. But shore handlers are not RC employees.

Secondly as others have said cross pack. If we take a check in bag its cross packed. We always have one carry on case per person, with at least one pair of shoes and the essentials. On a 5 day cruise carry on cases would normally be sufficient for us.

Thirdly another reason why you get travel insurance. Things happen. But travel insurance would have covered a lot of the expenses.

I agree with others that their offer was very considerate.

If I had a case that was missing my first thought wouldn't be its left ashore but more along the lines of I'm going to have to visit the naughty room!

Question. Did they download the Royal IQ app and try to track the luggage? I know you could do that on the Quantum and I thought you could do that on the Anthem. When you checked your luggage the put a little tag on your checkin pass and you could scan that if I remember correctly.

They no longer track luggage with the Royal IQ app. It changed at the beginning of the year.

Don

Good advice. We have always cross packed mainly for flight baggage delays which is not unusual.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry OP, you're way off base here. They did way more than I would have expected with the free cruise.

Sure this cruise was not what it should have been, but they got a do over, and $300 worth of free stuff. Any enjoyment that came out of this cruise was a bonus as far as I can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's a great thought to double pack half of your stuff and half of wife's on one bag. My daughter in law said she would go on pier to look for luggage if they didn't have personnel to do it. But of course they wouldn't let her. They had to eat all meal in buffet cause he had no cloth to feel comfortable with in main dining room or specialty restaurant. It really did ruined their trip

Sorry, but your original

post screams of I am entitled! OMG they had to eat in the buffet, how common.(Gasp)

Learn to cross pack! If your DIL had a feeling a bag was left on the pier she must have known something! When I drop my luggage it goes right into a bin!

The compensation was more than appropriate!

Edited by Reader0108598

The vouchers good for one year till next May, we are all going next Aug. and the $100 bathing suite was the cheapest one one the ship that fit him. It just seems to me that sat night, sun and all day Monday they were dealing with this and getting clothes. Which left Tuesday and Wednesday to have fun. So the 5 day cruise kind of turned out to 2 day cruise. That's all I'm saying. And this cruise just my son and daughter in law went for his birthday, we watched our grandson for them so they can be alone.

If someone spent 2.5 days looking for clothes instead of enjoying their trip, oh well......

The better option was get a few minimal things right away, laugh it off and enjoy the trip. Yes it's happened to us. We chose to not let it "ruin our trip". Life is all about choices.

"Yelled at everyone"? No one on that ship that was yelled at was the person who screwed up and left the bag at the pier.........

The vouchers good for one year till next May, we are all going next Aug. and the $100 bathing suite was the cheapest one one the ship that fit him. It just seems to me that sat night, sun and all day Monday they were dealing with this and getting clothes. Which left Tuesday and Wednesday to have fun. So the 5 day cruise kind of turned out to 2 day cruise. That's all I'm saying. And this cruise just my son and daughter in law went for his birthday, we watched our grandson for them so they can be alone.

So a free cruise and $300 towards clothing - which by your own words was the result of yelling and complaining - for something that was not the fault of the cruise line wasn't enough? They have been very generous with their good will in this. What exactly do you want?

I also find it odd that your son and daughter in law cannot find any vacation over the next 12 months to take advantage of what the cruise line is offering. Maybe if they continue to complain the cruise line will extend it to your August cruise........:rolleyes:

Edited by leaveitallbehind