Jewel half the cost of Celebrity Reflection for Mediterranean?!?! Comments plz

We are researching a Mediterranean cruise in the Fall of 2018. We have been on Celebrity and Princess and never RCI. For comparison, I found a virtually identical itinerary for the Jewel of the Seas and it is half the cost of the one on Celebrity.

Yes, I am totally ignorant about RCI, and would like comments from those who are familiar with both. I would not expect many children on either one as it is in the Fall.

We appreciate great food, entertainment, aft balconies and itineraries.

Thanks! :cool:

I'll be watching your replies, but I'll add that my next cruise will be my third on Jewel. Its a really nice ship, a little more than 13 years old now. Isn't Reflection a newer ship? I have yet to try X. Jewel doesn't have some of the newsworthy new features Royal has ships, but we find it quite enjoyable.

I would say to go on the Jewel. IMO, the Jewel's class is the one that is the most similar to Celebrity. It was built with a ton of glass and is not even close to their new ships in size (while still being modern inside). This ship is not particularly aimed at kids either (it doesn't have the bells and whistles), as the most attractive feature of that kind is the mini golf course. The dining is good too, from what I've heard. Go with the Jewel for sure if it can truly save you money.

I would say to go on the Jewel...This ship is not particularly aimed at kids either (it doesn't have the bells and whistles), as the most attractive feature of that kind is the mini golf course...

The Jewel also has a basketball court, rock climbing wall and water slide.

We are researching a Mediterranean cruise in the Fall of 2018. We have been on Celebrity and Princess and never RCI. For comparison, I found a virtually identical itinerary for the Jewel of the Seas and it is half the cost of the one on Celebrity.

Yes, I am totally ignorant about RCI, and would like comments from those who are familiar with both. I would not expect many children on either one as it is in the Fall.

We've never sailed on the Reflection but did a 14 night Caribbean Cruise on the Eclipse. Sister ship to the Reflection. We've done two different B2B Caribbean cruises on the Jewel. The Reflection is bigger (~126 GT) and a little newer (entered service 2012) then the Jewel (~90 GT) . Can't go wrong with either ship. IMO based on your research I'd pick the Jewel. However the Jewel is our favorite RCI ship.

We sailed Reflection a couple years ago. Did two weeks on Jewel last winter. Loved them both. We are on Reflection again this December and Jewel again in January:p Reflection is somewhat bigger and has more specialty dining options.

Pricing is fluid...

We typically cruise Europe on Celebrity (sometimes Oceania, once on Princess)...and I LOVE the Celebrity ships--most spacious--best space per passenger ratios among major cruise lines...

But, this next month, we are doing back-to-backs on the Jewel...

Why? Two reasons:

1) We liked the itinerary.

2) We got a tremendous deal...

Of course, though, we booked it back in March of 2016--when they first released the itineraries...It was incredibly cheap...However, not long after we booked it, those fares went up...and up...and up...

Within short time, to get the same category cabin as we got, you'd have to spend TWICE what we paid...and that was in spite of RCCL's various "sales"...

We've been doing this for years...and, often, we've found some incredible deals on Celebrity...and, yes, this time on RCCL...But I've always followed the prices AFTER booking...Sometimes they go up, other times they go down...It all depends on how the cruise is selling...So, I watch the prices...and, if they go down, I call my TA and get either the lower price or an upgrade in category...or both. If the prices go nowhere but up...as they did this year...then I sit back and laugh!

So, if you've found the same basic cruise on the Jewel as on the Reflection, but, half the price, I would book it...and book it NOW. And watch the fares on both ships over time...If you get a better deal prior to final payment day, at worst, you can cancel and re-book. If the prices were closer, but Celebrity just a touch more, I'd say go with Celebrity--the reflection is a newer ship--more spacious and with better service and, IMHO, food...OTOH, in the Med, the itinerary is more important than the ship...You will find you are spending more time in port...and using the ship to eat, sleep and recover from long days in port...If you can save a lot of money on, basically, the same cruise, save the money...and spend it on a nice pre-cruise stay prior to your boarding the ship...

Good luck...

I agree! In the Med the itinerary is more important than the ship. With the long port days you will just be using the ship to eat and sleep and you can use the savings for your excursions :)

The Jewel is perfect for the Med and if you end up on the Oct 6 2018 sailing - I will see you on board!

Does the Reflection cruise come with any perks? This really could be the factor on why it is so high. A drink package for 2 on the Reflection is valued at $1800 for a 14 day cruise, so that amount may be factored in.

We had booked on the Reflection for Med 2018 while on the celebrity summit in November. It was over $7300 CAD. We cancelled and booked on Jewel when we found virtually the same cruise for $4100. We just could not justify the price difference even though we do prefer Celebrity. With the savings we'll get flights and pre cruise stays. It seems like a no brainer really.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The same thing happened on the Norway cruise we took. Celebrity and RCI. Booked Celebrity early then later RCI undercut by quite a bit. We stayed with Celebrity because it started Southampton and saved some on airfare. But if we had not booked early to get a pretty good deal we probably would have changed.

Jewel is a very nice size ship for port intensive cruises.

Which 3?

Entertainment, aft balconies and itineraries - I'm not sure the great food part can be experienced on Reflection either.

Biker, who would, very subjectively, consider food on either RCI or Celebrity as good.

Entertainment, aft balconies and itineraries - I'm not sure the great food part can be experienced on Reflection either.

Biker, who would, very subjectively, consider food on either RCI or Celebrity as good.

Good luck snagging an Aft balcony this time of year. [emoji6]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app