Book now for 2, add kids for free later?

Hi, We are looking at booking the Navigator for Dec 7, 2018, 9 night Southern Carib. Price for 2 right now is very good. I put a hold on cabin 1688 as it looks like a fantastic setup. My question is if I book for 2 now and later this cruise becomes eligible for a kids sail free offer can I then add the two kids for free without changing my price for the first two passengers? Or do I need to put them on now and py the deposit for 4 people?

Would just like to get some info on this before I run it by RC. Thanks!

Crown Princess 2007

Emerald Princess 2008

RCCL Navigator of the Seas 2010

Ruby Princess 2012

NCL Jewel 2013

NCL Jewel 2016

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2017

Emerald Princess 2017

Put the kids on now, for several reasons:

1) you may not be able to add them later, if the allocated lifeboat space for that section of the ship is full. Even if the cabin will technically hold two extra people, the cruise line can't book passengers into the room if the designated lifeboat is already at capacity.

2) anytime you add people to a reservation, your booking will be repriced at the going rate. So, while there may be a "kids sail free" promo offered in the future, the price for the first and second passengers may go up enough between now and then that the net cost of rebooking is actually higher than what you would pay now.

3) in the event that there is a "kids sail free" offer and/or the total cost of the booking goes down in the future, you can always call and have your reservation rebooked at the new, lower rate (assuming you are before final payment).

4) there is a very real possibility that there won't be a "kids sail free" promo won't be offered between now and your final payment date.

Put the kids on now, for several reasons:

1) you may not be able to add them later, if the allocated lifeboat space for that section of the ship is full. Even if the cabin will technically hold two extra people, the cruise line can't book passengers into the room if the designated lifeboat is already at capacity.

2) anytime you add people to a reservation, your booking will be repriced at the going rate. So, while there may be a "kids sail free" promo offered in the future, the price for the first and second passengers may go up enough between now and then that the net cost of rebooking is actually higher than what you would pay now.

3) in the event that there is a "kids sail free" offer and/or the total cost of the booking goes down in the future, you can always call and have your reservation rebooked at the new, lower rate (assuming you are before final payment).

4) there is a very real possibility that there won't be a "kids sail free" promo won't be offered between now and your final payment date.

Totally agree. I'll never forget a post on the Family boards a year or so ago. Father thought he would save having to put down an extra deposit for baby since it would be sleeping in a crib anyway. Well, when the cruise got close, he found that lifeboat capacity for their cabin was full even though rated for three (or maybe even four). No way would they be able to take the baby and they had no one to leave it with. Needless to say, mother (who had posted) was hysterical.

There is no such thing as "kids sail free." There are several threads and hundreds of posts about how RC's "sales" are nothing more than clever marketing tools. So beyond the fact that what the above posts say is spot on, when you go back and try to add the kids they will tell you you have to start over and presto, the cost for the adults will miraculously have increased by the savings on the alleged kids sailing free.

There is no such thing as "kids sail free." There are several threads and hundreds of posts about how RC's "sales" are nothing more than clever marketing tools. So beyond the fact that what the above posts say is spot on, when you go back and try to add the kids they will tell you you have to start over and presto, the cost for the adults will miraculously have increased by the savings on the alleged kids sailing free.

This is not entirely accurate. I myself have taken advantage of the KSF promo twice now. The key is comparing the same cabin category before and during the promotion. This is next to impossible in the scenario you describe with some room types because booking for two vs. three or four will get you looking at different categories.

The first time, we sailed in a JS on Freedom for less than a D1 without the promo. And this upcoming November, we are sailing in a GS on Anthem for 450 more than a W without the promotion. In both cases there were no changes to the price of the first and second passenger.

I also do similar tactic. I usually book just myself to avoid the double deposit (unless half deposit already available). Then I add hubby the following month or so. I have done this dozens of times and his fare is always the same as mine and unless you add someone way down the line towards final payment, there is plenty of lifeboat space. I have never had them use a larger current fare....they always give me the same fare which I booked with.

Some maybe waited too late or something, but I add him on fairly soon, never more than a couple months. I consider it just a payment on the cruise, but at least I don't have to come up with more ready cash.

Sorry, but I disagree. It is offered at inconvenient times for those of us with kids in school, but it does make a big difference in price. We just snagged an Oasis ocean view balcony for 4 for a total of $2300. There's no way we could get that price without the KSF promo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also, there is a possibility of being booted from cabin 1688 with only 2 booked in there. I'm sure someone can confirm or deny, but being a corner aft balcony, I believe you now need 3 or 4 people in that cabin. We had 1388 in April - on the other side of the ship - it's a great room and u should book it if you can!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

i closely monitor the dec 14 anthem trip. i can verify that the kids free is legit. the price is just about 300 higher than the normal price, which is the taxes. i am rebooked on the nov 25 and sadly its in the one exclusion period for the sale..sigh

I used the kids sail free for our Allure cruise in March. I had my son, his daughter & myself booked in a CP balcony cabin. When I noticed the kids sail free promotion, I called & they took off my granddaughter's cruise fare. Ours didn't change.

Hi, We are looking at booking the Navigator for Dec 7, 2018, 9 night Southern Carib. Price for 2 right now is very good. I put a hold on cabin 1688 as it looks like a fantastic setup. My question is if I book for 2 now and later this cruise becomes eligible for a kids sail free offer can I then add the two kids for free without changing my price for the first two passengers? Or do I need to put them on now and py the deposit for 4 people?

Would just like to get some info on this before I run it by RC. ]

Cabin 1688 is for 2-3 max. Make sure you reserve a cabin rated for four before you try your plan. .

Thanks much for all the info.

We have decided to confirm the booking for two and add the two children in the next couple months.

I did confirm the cabin occupancy; I first noticed it on cruise.com searching for cabin for 4 and RC confirmed it now accepts 4 in that cabin.

Hopefully ksf does come available at some point and if it does I will post how it worked out.

Crown Princess 2007

Emerald Princess 2008

RCCL Navigator of the Seas 2010

Ruby Princess 2012

NCL Jewel 2013

NCL Jewel 2016

Emerald Princess 2017

Thanks much for all the info.

We have decided to confirm the booking for two and add the two children in the next couple months.

I did confirm the cabin occupancy; I first noticed it on cruise.com searching for cabin for 4 and RC confirmed it now accepts 4 in that cabin.

Hopefully ksf does come available at some point and if it does I will post how it worked out.

Kids sail free promo starts June 1st.

Thanks for the heads up mac tlc.

And side note I had to correct my sig as I had thought we were on the Navigator in 2010 but my wife just reminded me it was actually the Mariner. Regardless it was a great cruise so looking forward to 'coming back' to the Navigator. [emoji3]

Crown Princess 2007

Emerald Princess 2008

RCCL Mariner of the Seas 2010

Ruby Princess 2012

NCL Jewel 2013

NCL Jewel 2016

Emerald Princess 2017

RCCL Navigator of the Seas 2018

Totally agree. I'll never forget a post on the Family boards a year or so ago. Father thought he would save having to put down an extra deposit for baby since it would be sleeping in a crib anyway. Well, when the cruise got close, he found that lifeboat capacity for their cabin was full even though rated for three (or maybe even four). No way would they be able to take the baby and they had no one to leave it with. Needless to say, mother (who had posted) was hysterical.

Yes, this does happen. If you think kids might sail add them now. Easy to take them off later, adding them there is chance you won't be able to...

Would just like to get some info on this before I run it by RC. ]

Cabin 1688 is for 2-3 max. Make sure you reserve a cabin rated for four before you try your plan. .

"Triangle" Icon for this cabin, so cabin holds 4. Sofa Bed in this cabin is for 2, not comfortable if kids are full size though doable...

Thanks zack, yeah, we've done ksf before and you are totally right. Good to keep in mind.

Another question, I booked last night direct with RCI. Today I see a big online TA has same cabin opposite side for $170 less plus a 5-7% cash back after cruising. Company has a very good rep. Should I consider transferring or cancelling and rebooking with this third party TA? Have only ever booked direct.

Crown Princess 2007

Emerald Princess 2008

Ruby Princess 2012

NCL Jewel 2013

NCL Jewel 2016

Emerald Princess 2017

Edited by trajan

Oh God do you have a link for this? I would love to read it.

Thanks zack, yeah, we've done ksf before and you are totally right. Good to keep in mind.

Another question, I booked last night direct with RCI. Today I see a big online TA has same cabin opposite side for $170 less plus a 5-7% cash back after cruising. Company has a very good rep. Should I consider transferring or cancelling and rebooking with this third party TA? Have only ever booked direct. ...

You can transfer up to 60 days after initial booking. If you are comfortable with the TA's reputation, and you have found out of they have change fees, cancel fees, unlimited price drops, etc., then I don't see why you could not cancel and rebook with the TA as lonmg as you are not in the penalty phase of your booking.

Clarea, interesting and ty. I think we will stay with booking direct as I just added a $250 OBC via myvegas. As mentioned earlier will add kids in a month or two (or earlier if June sale is a ksf that covers that) and then post how it went.

Ty again all!

Crown Princess 2007

Emerald Princess 2008

Ruby Princess 2012

NCL Jewel 2013

NCL Jewel 2016

Emerald Princess 2017

Clarea, interesting and ty. I think we will stay with booking direct as I just added a $250 OBC via myvegas. As mentioned earlier will add kids in a month or two (or earlier if June sale is a ksf that covers that) and then post how it went.

Ty again all!

Crown Princess 2007

Emerald Princess 2008

Ruby Princess 2012

NCL Jewel 2013

NCL Jewel 2016

Emerald Princess 2017

Book the kids as soon as you can. Just because the cabin can sleep 4 does not guarantee you will be able to add 2 people to that cabin. If all the cabins in that area get booked and the lifeboat for your cabin reaches capacity, you will not be allowed to add the kids.

Add the kids now and if the price drops before final payment then get it adjusted.

Its not all about how many the cabin CAN sleep its more about how many can fit into the life boat assigned to that cabin. Once the lifeboat is full they can not add ANYONE to that room or any other room in that that Muster station. No matter what you say or do its against maritime law. Now if a room is available someone other place on the ship they can move you to that with your 4.

First off, this is a risk that is way out of my comfort zone, and I think it is adding a ton of unneeded hassle/worry.

Second off, your doubling your signature. You don't need to post all your past cruises on each of your posts. They show up automatically in your signature.