Venice Hotel before the Cruise

4Lakes Lady

Also keep in mind that you'll probably run into a water taxi ride coming and going at most places, which will be around 200 euro each way.

That's not correct.

The wonderful water taxi (great for touring Venice and lagoon area) costs 20 euros for 1 day, 30 for 2 days and 40 for 3 days. Venice is great for walking but the water taxi let's you see a lot more plus it's a fun way to relax and see the sights, especially off the back of the boat.

I believe you are thinking of Vaporettos which are large boats - Venice's version of a bus. These are hardly water taxis as they only follow a given route and do not take you everywhere - only where the route goes and where there are stops.

http://en.venezia.net/venice-vaporetto-tickets.html

Water taxis are a different animal and do indeed cost a lot more. In fact, I made a pretend booking for a water taxi for 2 hours and they wanted 300 Euros:

https://www.bookwatertaxivenice.com/book-online

Edited by Paulchili

I believe you are thinking of Vaporettos which are large boats - Venice's version of a bus. These are hardly water taxis as they only follow a given route and do not take you everywhere - only where the route goes and where there are stops.

http://en.venezia.net/venice-vaporetto-tickets.html

Water taxis are a different animal and do indeed cost a lot more. In fact, I made a pretend booking for a water taxi for 2 hours and they wanted 300 Euros:

https://www.bookwatertaxivenice.com/book-online

Thanks Paul, yes I was referring to the concept of being picked up and delivered to or from your hotel to your destination.

Good luck lugging luggage on the vaporetettos. It's hard enough just finding room for yourself, much less two or three bags. They are a great deal for getting around though once you're settled into your hotel. We rode them all over, including over to Murano.

Also keep in mind that you'll probably run into a water taxi ride coming and going at most places, which will be around 200 euro each way.

That's not correct.

The wonderful water taxi (great for touring Venice and lagoon area) costs 20 euros for 1 day, 30 for 2 days and 40 for 3 days. Venice is great for walking but the water taxi let's you see a lot more plus it's a fun way to relax and see the sights, especially off the back of the boat.

Water taxis are private and take you exactly where you want to go and when. They cost a fortune. 200 to 300 euros per hour sounds about right. At least it is a fortune to me.

Bitob, I just booked the Hotel Santa Chiara for next summer. It is located in the Piazzale Roma area, the last area buses and taxis can drive to. There is a vaporetto stop right by the hotel as well, to get to other areas of Venice. It also comes with breakfast, and receives good reviews on trip advisor. You can either get a taxi to the port, or take the people mover. For next July, it was 365.00 a night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bitob, I just booked the Hotel Santa Chiara for next summer. It is located in the Piazzale Roma area, the last area buses and taxis can drive to. There is a vaporetto stop right by the hotel as well, to get to other areas of Venice. It also comes with breakfast, and receives good reviews on trip advisor. You can either get a taxi to the port, or take the people mover. For next July, it was 365.00 a night.

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much

Booked it for October 2018!!!

I'm told it books way in advance due to location

No dragging luggage over bridges

We just need nice place to relax precruise

I hope it works well for us. I have not stayed there, but we too wanted to avoid the luggage issue because my husband has back issues. We got a deluxe room overlooking the canal. I did see you should make sure you are in the main hotel, and not in the annex down the street.

I hope it works well for us. I have not stayed there, but we too wanted to avoid the luggage issue because my husband has back issues. We got a deluxe room overlooking the canal. I did see you should make sure you are in the main hotel, and not in the annex down the street.

We booked the same category room. Sounds perfect

We took shared water taxi about 30 euros for two,can hold up to ten people but when we arrived only 2 more people was with us.We said this was one of the highlights of our trip arriving to San Marco on a water taxi,quite thrilling.

We stayed at hotel Violino D'Oro.It took less than 10 minute walk to hotel.We had to cross one bridge with luggage but you can hire a porter at San Marco if needed.We loved the hotel(breakfast included)200 euros and location.Hotel is on gondola stop and you can see and hear singing from your room.We rode gondola last evening directly outside hotel,not really worth the cost IMO

We walked everywhere in Venice,no need for vaporetto.We took AliLaguna Blue Line from San Marco to cruise port for 7 euros each and our ship was a two minute walk with luggage.

Our first trip was bus to Piazza Roma and people mover to ship,very exhausting walk to ship from people mover,although cheaper,but again arriving to Venice by water taxi is magical

We walked everywhere in Venice,no need for vaporetto.

Walking is fun in Venice but taking the vaporetto on Grand Canal is the quintessential Venice experience. It is the only vantage point from which you see the facades of the grand palaces the way they were intended to be seen - from the water.

Walking is fun in Venice but taking the vaporetto on Grand Canal is the quintessential Venice experience. It is the only vantage point from which you see the facades of the grand palaces the way they were intended to be seen - from the water.

Agree! The best way is to go up sitting on one side and then go back sitting on the other. Unfortunately you've got to get off and on...

Agree! The best way is to go up sitting on one side and then go back sitting on the other. Unfortunately you've got to get off and on...

Wait. If you sit on one side going one way and then switch sides for the return, don't you end up seeing the same thing?

Wait. If you sit on one side going one way and then switch sides for the return, don't you end up seeing the same thing?

I meant sides of the Grand Canal, but maybe wasn't clear. Most beautiful ride in the world.