Venice Hotel before the Cruise

4Lakes Lady

Heartily agree with the Antiche Figure. We got the bus from the airport and walked to the hotel from the bus station. Convenient for ships and you can walk through the streets all the way to St Marks or of course take the vaporettas which stop right across from hotel. Great location.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Depends on what kind of hotel you want but we stayed at the Palazio Sant'Angelo on the Grand Canal (has its own dock) and it was wonderful. You can get a water taxi transfer from there to the Cruise Terminal for about €80.

Agree with everyone who recommended the Antiche Figure. We had a great couple of nights there. Wonderful staff; good restaurant recommendations in walking distance. Handy vaporetto stop close by. Fun to sit outside with a glass of wine in the late afternoon and watch all the people go by.

This looks like a great suggestion to us. We have a cruise ending in Venice next May and this looks like a good choice for us should we stay on. (It's not known yet if we will because DH has always been UNHAPPY about Venice ... but I'd like to return since my last stop there was in 1970!)

Mura

You will be so happy with Antiche Figure. I found out about it on trip advisor. Highly recommend. If staying in Venice do the secret itinerary of Doges Palace. It's a behind the scenes of where Casanova was held. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Danieli was by far one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. It also has a great location right behind the Doges Place and fantastic food.

...and starting at Euro 550/night (and UP) is priced just right :D :D

...and starting at Euro 550/night (and UP) is priced just right :D :D

It would be great if all recommendations came with a price range.

Also keep in mind that you'll probably run into a water taxi ride coming and going at most places, which will be around 200 euro each way. Or you can study the ports of call board and figure out where money can be saved, depending on your physical stamina level and your spend vs effort level.

I stayed at the Hotel Papadopoli, which required no water taxi to get to. It was convenient to the main vaporetto station, I walked to the ship from there via the people mover. It had an included breakfast and the plan we booked with had a 72 hour vaporetto pass. If I was looking for a hotel there again it is probably where I would stay again.

PS, I think it was 250-300 USD per night.

It would be great if all recommendations came with a price range.

Also keep in mind that you'll probably run into a water taxi ride coming and going at most places, which will be around 200 euro each way. Or you can study the ports of call board and figure out where money can be saved, depending on your physical stamina level and your spend vs effort level.

I stayed at the Hotel Papadopoli, which required no water taxi to get to. It was convenient to the main vaporetto station, I walked to the ship from there via the people mover. It had an included breakfast and the plan we booked with had a 72 hour vaporetto pass. If I was looking for a hotel there again it is probably where I would stay again.

PS, I think it was 250-300 USD per night.

I was being facetious about the Danieli price :)

But you are correct - hotels in Venice are expensive (as is most everything else).

We are fortunate to have the points to stay at the Westin for our next trip there - otherwise I would not like to pay those prices.

Trip Advisor is currently showing a rate for the Antiche Figure of $257 per night (through hotels.com).

Sounds pretty cheap. I would give it a try. Getting tired of spending 700 to 800 a night for a pre or post cruise hotel.

Paul, I don't think you were being that facetious about the Danieli ...

I ran searches for a double room in early June and mid September, and both had prices starting at 504 EUR per night ... My niece stayed there a few years ago and I think they paid $500/night then.

Would love to do it but we're too cheap for hotels. We spend more on the ship than we do in hotels. Other friends on Oceania that we've met do the opposite.

I was surprised at the quoted price above for Antiche since it's only a 3 star ... but this is Venice. I didn't go so far as to try to price a room since we won't be there until May 2018. (Except I just did and was surprised to see a quote: 589 EUR for two nights. Well, that's still apx half price from the Danieli ...)

Mura

Sounds pretty cheap. I would give it a try. Getting tired of spending 700 to 800 a night for a pre or post cruise hotel.

Actually when I said I booked it at a great price it is $147 with breakfast included. I really like using Booking.com since I don't pay until arrival with cancellation possible until 24 hours prior to scheduled arrival. Not bad for Venice [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Why not stay in Mestre and avoid the high prices of actually being IN Venice? It is a 10 minute train trip away and the hotels there are very attractive and very much cheaper than lesser grade ones in Venice. Plus, you have no problem with lugging luggage up and over little bridges or taking an expensive water taxi. Just a thought.

Why not stay in Mestre and avoid the high prices of actually being IN Venice? It is a 10 minute train trip away and the hotels there are very attractive and very much cheaper than lesser grade ones in Venice. Plus, you have no problem with lugging luggage up and over little bridges or taking an expensive water taxi. Just a thought.

We have stayed in Mestre twice and will do the same any future times we either embark or disembark at Venice. Much better accommodation for your $$'s and not stuck in the tourist madness that can occur on the island.

When in Italy I always stay in convents. They're hidden gems! Cheap, clean, safe, beautiful and a great value. In Florence, the one we stayed in had been a palace and our room was huge with a frescoed ceiling.

In Venice (one of my favorite cities), our convent cost about $30pp/night and was right on a canal at a gondola stop. It was about a 3 minute walk to San Marco plaza. The nuns are so nice, a small breakfast is included and they accept couples and women. It was a great stay! You don't have to be Catholic and there is no religion involved. Just thought I'd offer an alternative to expensive hotels.

Forgot to say that most convents have a curfew of about 10pm or 11pm. Some don't have one. Not a big deal for me but late night partiers might not like that.

Also, I just checked the price of the one we stayed at in Venice and it's now $47pp/night. The easiest way to book convents in Europe is through Monasterystays dot com.

Also keep in mind that you'll probably run into a water taxi ride coming and going at most places, which will be around 200 euro each way.

That's not correct.

The wonderful water taxi (great for touring Venice and lagoon area) costs 20 euros for 1 day, 30 for 2 days and 40 for 3 days. Venice is great for walking but the water taxi let's you see a lot more plus it's a fun way to relax and see the sights, especially off the back of the boat.