Menus for week at start of cruise?

jmpiterniak

Well, they post the menus in the morning. Is that enough time to plan your evening meal? Admittedly, planning meals is not my forte. I'm of the "open the refrigerator at 6:00 p.m. and what's for dinner" type.

Does HAL offer an onboard app? I am thinking of one like Disney has. One of the things it allows you to do is see all the menus for the cruise.

I believe most HAL ships now have Navigator. It is not an "APP", but a local web page that can be accessed by any device that has a browser. The only menu that is available is for the current day. On Prinsendam in December it was posted around noon each day.

I've asked about this a few times before and the answer has always been "that day only."

Well, they post the menus in the morning. Is that enough time to plan your evening meal?

If I had the whole week we could set (or change) our Pinnacle Grill night was well as decide which night for Canaletto. There are some MDR items we might not want to miss. Also, some ports are into the evening so we could decide in advance if we want to stay on-shore and eat somewhere local - although we're generally too cheap to pass up "already paid for" meals. ;)

I've asked about this a few times before and the answer has always been "that day only."

If I had the whole week we could set (or change) our Pinnacle Grill night was well as decide which night for Canaletto. There are some MDR items we might not want to miss. Also, some ports are into the evening so we could decide in advance if we want to stay on-shore and eat somewhere local - although we're generally too cheap to pass up "already paid for" meals. ;)

I'm trying to remember if there has been any MDR dinner I wouldn't pass up for the Pinnacle Grill! The Caneletto, OTOH . . .

sometimes you can find photos from previous cruisers online ... i'm lucky as we are on the eurodam and i have seen 2-ish photo sets of the menus (one being here: https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/)

perhaps they would be similar?

when i called hal to ask a few other questions, they confirmed that you could not get menus more in advance ...

The menus run on pretty predictable cycles, so if you can find someone on your ship that's doing your itinerary before you do, their menus will be very close to, if not identical to yours. Of course, it's a bit of work to scan or photograph all the menus, so it's not something that everyone is willing to do.

Not really what you seek, but your dining room supervisor should be able to give you the next day's menu each evening.

They do it routinely for special needs (diabetic, gluten free, etc) so it's worth at least asking.

Roy

Not really what you seek, but your dining room supervisor should be able to give you the next day's menu each evening.

They do it routinely for special needs (diabetic, gluten free, etc) so it's worth at least asking.

Roy

On one cruise our table steward gave us the menu for the next day each evening, without us even asking for it. Nice touch I thought!

The menus sometimes are changed or switched, so the week's menus would not be reliable. I used to get the menu on the previous evening so I could decide if we needed to order from the special vegetarian menu. A few times the menu was switched before the next dinner. They sometimes have to switch the menu to a different day or make a change in a menu.

We're considering asking the manager in Pinnacle when Scallopini night is, so we can book with Pinnacle.

Scallopini Night in MDR?? So good you don't want to miss it? :)

Edited by sail7seas

POA1 did a review of his New Years cruise and had the alternating menus.

Yes, and we were only on one week - the week before Christmas. (Even though I was able to get all the menus, I didn't really get them in advance. I suppose I would have gotten them in advance for the week of Christmas, but we got off Christmas eve.)

While there are substitutions based on ingredient availability occasionally, the menus tend to be pretty fixed. You've got big ships with plenty of provisions. They have it down to a science for the most part.

If you have ever done the kitchen tour, you know about the progressive thawing and stock rotation. It's all very well planned out.