Internet - timer?

Bibble

This may be somewhere on the board, but I did search the best I could and can't find an answer.

If we use the internet package on our phone, when we log off (or even during the use) is there a timer to keep track of minutes? (the only times we've purchased internet on board we had to get Unlimited for my daughter to do online homework, because we pulled her out of school).

Thank you!

Guest arowe6
This may be somewhere on the board, but I did search the best I could and can't find an answer.

If we use the internet package on our phone, when we log off (or even during the use) is there a timer to keep track of minutes? (the only times we've purchased internet on board we had to get Unlimited for my daughter to do online homework, because we pulled her out of school).

Thank you!

If I'm not mistaken, each time you log out a summary screen populates and shows the minutes used during that session and the minutes remaining.

I know that right before logging on, it definitely shows you how many minutes remain.

Enjoy your cruise!

-Andrew :)

If I'm not mistaken, each time you log out a summary screen populates and shows the minutes used during that session and the minutes remaining.

I know that right before logging on, it definitely shows you how many minutes remain.

Enjoy your cruise!

-Andrew :)

That is exactly what happens. The key is to always remember to log out. If you do not, the clock continues to run.

Guest arowe6
Be very carful when you log out. It doesn't always work and you can loose the rest of your time.

Luckily I've never had that happen. However, ever ytime I log out I make it a point to open up a website to ensure it doesn't connect.

Just something to consider doing. :)

-Andrew

Thank you all!!

Such a wealth of info! I love getting direct answers :)

I'm thinking I might use my dry-erase marker and keep a tally on the mirror so nobody can say they didn't know they were using so much - LOL!

Another tip is to do as much offline as possible. If you are sending an email, compose it and then send it when you connect. When checking your mail, download it first, then read it after you have logged off. I hate looking at spam or stupid emails from "friends" while still connected.

They can always restore missing minutes, if you ask.

That has been our experience when someone in our cabin incorrectly signed off. OK, you got me, it was I. At any rate the IT guy was very good about it. The suggestion to attempt to log into a site after logging off is good.

Here is a collage of my login and logout screens.

ae1e560c819f1263981f9a7604416b4b.jpg

Hello Pam,

Thanks for this, but I wonder. How did you manage, in the same minute, to log in with 338 minutes and then log off with 341 minutes? I like that method. Might you be willing to also supply you name, address, and social so I can send you your Nigerian inheritance?

Regards

Tom

At every port there is usually an internet café that is a fraction of the coast or bar with FREE wifi. So, have a local beer and e-mail away! ;p

Follow the crew-They, for sure, know where it is. We use Starbucks and McDonalds:D

Hello Pam,

Thanks for this, but I wonder. How did you manage, in the same minute, to log in with 338 minutes and then log off with 341 minutes? I like that method. Might you be willing to also supply you name, address, and social so I can send you your Nigerian inheritance?

Ha! Ha! I accidentally switched the screenshots when creating the collage. :)

A warning if you need to update a kindle.... I connected my kindle to the wifi, logged into Princess wifi and then COULD NOT LOG OFF!!! My book updated, but it was sucking up minutes. By the time I tried to make it happen, and couldn't, (Airplane mode on kindle) and ran down to the internet desk, I had wasted 35 minutes. The guy stopped it at his end, lectured me that I should not have tried to do that on my kindle (duh, but a lecture? really?) and that was that. It was my wasted loyalty minutes. Had I paid for them, I'd be furious, but I was just relieved he was able to stop the minute wasting. :D

At every port there is usually an internet café that is a fraction of the coast or bar with FREE wifi. So, have a local beer and e-mail away! ;p

For this cruise, it's Alaska, so the majority of our ports are US, and our data will work. But I have definitely done that in the Caribbean!