Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

1 hour ago, Maximillian45 said:

Thank you for this discussion! I have a degenerative back condition and appreciate being forewarned. Unfortunately, a good night’s sleep isn’t easy for everyone. I’ll make sure to ask for lots of extra comforters. 

We are booked on the Viking Venus in July! We have been on a Viking River cruise and this will be the first ocean cruise with them. If anyone has been on the Venus, I would be interested n their thoughts on this topic

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maximillian45 said:

Thank you for this discussion! I have a degenerative back condition and appreciate being forewarned. Unfortunately, a good night’s sleep isn’t easy for everyone. I’ll make sure to ask for lots of extra comforters. 

Oh my! 
Same here; Dear Wife,Catherine, booked this cruise about 2 years ago, hoping I could get back to my physical life.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, steve1191 said:

We are booked on the Viking Venus in July! We have been on a Viking River cruise and this will be the first ocean cruise with them. If anyone has been on the Venus, I would be interested n their thoughts on this topic

We were on the Venus in January '22 and had no problems with the mattress.  The Venus is one of the newer ships.  However, if there had been any issues, I'm sure our cabin steward would have moved earth and sky to fix it.  Just ask and ye shall receive...

• Like 6

On 2/20/2022 at 3:24 PM, Maximillian45 said:

I understand.

Sometimes, with my back,

why a sleep and a prayer 

won’t bring it back to normal.

Has my God abandoned me?

• Like 2

I think it is important to understand how serious the importance of a good mattress can be for some people!   I am in the medical field and I get it, believe me!
The new trend everywhere now is for platform beds with no box springs (this was big back in the 80’s and was BAD then) but it looks cool from a design standpoint now.  And on Cruiseships, it needs to be a mattress on a platform so there is room to store suitcases underneath the bed.  
I just wish there could be more padding on the bed or some accommodations made for those who need something, other than additional comforters added…..which doesn’t really cut it….been there, done that.

Edited by takemewithyou
  • Like 3

On 2/21/2022 at 9:06 AM, Moonlion said:

We were on the Venus in January '22 and had no problems with the mattress.  The Venus is one of the newer ships.  However, if there had been any issues, I'm sure our cabin steward would have moved earth and sky to fix it.  Just ask and ye shall receive...

Thanks Moonlion!

Hey folks. My wife and I are total covidiots.  We still haven't eaten indoors at a restaurant since the plague started.  Is there anything other than room service that can be taken back to the room at dinner time on a cold and rainy night?

• Haha 1

Well, I don't know if they really want you to, but you could just take your plate back from the World Cafe - what I would consider a nicer-than usual buffet.   I think they also offer at least one cooked to order main dish each night, but someone else will have to comment on that.  Or you could possibly find a sparsely-inhabited corner of the World Cafe, or eat early or late, to lessen the chances of exposure.  The same probably goes for the (main) Restaurant -- just go early or late, or ask for a seat away from as many people as possible.  But I think you'll feel a little safer on the ship than in many places to dine right now, especially in some areas of the U.S. (but not all!!)

17 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Reading what you have said, how will you manage being cooped up on airplanes?  I mean we hated being cooped up breathing everyone else's air even pre covid and have not flown since covid.  And I don't for a minute buy the party line that airplanes are "safe" due to their filters.  You are still strapped in inches from strangers for hours.  And even the "experts" are now saying the masks that 99% of us wear are little more than "facial decoration".  Just asking based on what you posted.  Not trying to be insulting or anything.🍸

There’s also riding in buses and taxis. 

I think it would be very tough to cruise right now if one is still relying on isolation to avoid Covid. I suppose constant  wearing of an N95 mask would be your best bet. I’ve flown about 8 times during the pandemic, and I wore an N95 most of those flights. I didn’t eat or drink on the plane except during the longest trip, which included 2 6-hour flights each way. On that trip, I wore my mask between bites. But on our most recent flight, I just wore a (mostly useless) paper surgical mask. I’m done with the N95s. They’re miserably uncomfortable. 

That said, I would imagine you can take any food back to your room. 

Well

25 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Reading what you have said, how will you manage being cooped up on airplanes?  I mean we hated being cooped up breathing everyone else's air even pre covid and have not flown since covid.  And I don't for a minute buy the party line that airplanes are "safe" due to their filters.  You are still strapped in inches from strangers for hours.  And even the "experts" are now saying the masks that 99% of us wear are little more than "facial decoration".  Just asking based on what you posted.  Not trying to be insulting or anything.🍸

I will totally understand if the poster doesn't respond to this.  It's pretty obvious to me that travel often involves airplanes, and things could happen, Covid or otherwise.  But it's all about risk management.  And as for masks, it's obvious that many people don't feel they're necessary, and wear the wrong kind or wear masks incorrectly.   But in areas where people do, the rates go down.

• Like 6

With 3 grandchildren in daycare, which is a petri dish of cold and flu viruses, pink eye, and everything else, we decided, after getting vaxxed, to see the kids. We managed to stay healthy and Covid-free until a month ago, when we both got it; it lasted 2-3 days and then went away, thankfully. 

Being on an airplane, then on board ship, then on tour buses, we’te aware of the inherent travel risks, but feel comfortable now. We did an 11-day Viking cruise till the Caribbean, had a great time, and are excited to be leaving for Rome in less than two days. We are headed to a clinic this morning to get Covid tested, which may not be needed anymore to enter Italy, but since it’s free, will have them in hand in case they are needed. 

for us, meeting new people and sharing stories is part of travel; one of my favorite things to do in Europe is to use my

middling French or Italian to converse with people we encounter, and I cannot imagine going over and not having that experience.

if the sites are the meat of the trip, the people are the spice; we won’t be hiding in our stateroom. I do sympathize with others’ fears of being in public, but I have to think that a cruise spent cloistered in a stateroom is not much of a bruise at all. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, longterm said:

With 3 grandchildren in daycare, which is a petri dish of cold and flu viruses, pink eye, and everything else, we decided, after getting vaxxed, to see the kids. We managed to stay healthy and Covid-free until a month ago, when we both got it; it lasted 2-3 days and then went away, thankfully. 

Being on an airplane, then on board ship, then on tour buses, we’te aware of the inherent travel risks, but feel comfortable now. We did an 11-day Viking cruise till the Caribbean, had a great time, and are excited to be leaving for Rome in less than two days. We are headed to a clinic this morning to get Covid tested, which may not be needed anymore to enter Italy, but since it’s free, will have them in hand in case they are needed. 

for us, meeting new people and sharing stories is part of travel; one of my favorite things to do in Europe is to use my

middling French or Italian to converse with people we encounter, and I cannot imagine going over and not having that experience.

if the sites are the meat of the trip, the people are the spice; we won’t be hiding in our stateroom. I do sympathize with others’ fears of being in public, but I have to think that a cruise spent cloistered in a stateroom is not much of a bruise at all. 

Ah, the perils of typing on my iPhone... I apologize for the typos! Not "bruise," "CRUISE!"

Happy that our covid tests came back negative... one more hurdle, now to packing!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, longterm said:

We've been having a great time all during the pandemic.  We just don't like be indoors around lots of unmasked people.  There are plenty of other options and plenty of people to meet and stories to tell outdoors.  Not an issue.

New to Viking.  Have only cruised a few times with RC and Norwegian.  The "drink package" is always a question and im guessing some here will cringe with another drink package question since they are common...  so forgive me.

We are in a PV state room so it is our understanding that our fridge will be supplied with 4 (?) little airplane bottles of spirits each day.  And we start off with one bottle of bubbly in our room.  Ive heard there is a chance we can get that replenished each day too?  Then we get beer/wine (limited choices) during meals.  

Since we are spending large portions of our day and some evenings in port off the ship we question getting the drink package.  We both drink.  We both love spirits, wine and beer (yes we are easy).  We don't drink tons but on a cruise would probably have 4-6 drinks in a day.  Our thoughts are between what we get in our fridge and what we get at meal time we would be fine.  BUT still wondering.  It is my understanding we can bring alcohol on board with us?  So if out shopping in Barcelona and we buy a bottle of bourbon we can bring that onboard?  Is it limited to wine?  Appreciate any help/advice.

Cheers!

3 minutes ago, PWRWAGN said:

New to Viking.  Have only cruised a few times with RC and Norwegian.  The "drink package" is always a question and im guessing some here will cringe with another drink package question since they are common...  so forgive me.

We are in a PV state room so it is our understanding that our fridge will be supplied with 4 (?) little airplane bottles of spirits each day.  And we start off with one bottle of bubbly in our room.  Ive heard there is a chance we can get that replenished each day too?  Then we get beer/wine (limited choices) during meals.  

Since we are spending large portions of our day and some evenings in port off the ship we question getting the drink package.  We both drink.  We both love spirits, wine and beer (yes we are easy).  We don't drink tons but on a cruise would probably have 4-6 drinks in a day.  Our thoughts are between what we get in our fridge and what we get at meal time we would be fine.  BUT still wondering.  It is my understanding we can bring alcohol on board with us?  So if out shopping in Barcelona and we buy a bottle of bourbon we can bring that onboard?  Is it limited to wine?  Appreciate any help/advice.

Cheers!

Unlike other cruise lines, Viking treat all pax like adults, so you can bring any type of alcoholic/non-alcohol beverages onboard at any port. Only limit is how much you can safely carry. Viking do not charge corkage to open and serve your own bottles of wine/beer in the restaurants, and the barmen will supply glasses.

However, the Silver Spirits Beverage Package is only $19.95 pp/day. Personally, I am on holiday and I have no desire to use some of our valuable time ashore to purchase drinks to bring aboard. If we are out on a tour and find some nice wines, or beers, then we will definitely purchase some and bring them aboard.

We find the SSBP good value and more importantly, it provides options for different wines and also a pre-dinner cocktail and some Port after dinner. I might even have a beer or three outside of lunch/dinner. In our experience, with SSBP the ordering of drinks is way easier, especially if you have a consistent order and you get to know the waiters. Often, once our glasses were close to empty, new drinks simply arrived. Also at the evening show, one of the waiters brought new drinks every night just as the lights went down. Never had to actually order.

When not on a cruise where SSBP is included, it is the first thing we pre-purchase.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

I have always wondered about folks that will pay Viking prices then quibble about drinks costs..  Strange.

Jim, ya know I love ya, but for some of us it’s already a stretch to get aboard so we have to think about getting our best value. So we take a minute and think about whether or not we will typically drink 2.5 drinks a day. If the DMIL is aboard we don’t have to think very hard.  For a port intensive cruise, we usually end up saving our money and using what’s left from our Travel Agent’s kickback for what we we drink. For one with lots of sea days we spend it 😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Jim, ya know I love ya, but for some of us it’s already a stretch to get aboard so we have to think about getting our best value. So we take a minute and think about whether or not we will typically drink 2.5 drinks a day. If the DMIL is aboard we don’t have to think very hard.  For a port intensive cruise, we usually end up saving our money and using what’s left from our Travel Agent’s kickback for what we we drink. For one with lots of sea days we spend it 😂

Clay, I agree.  If both didn’t have to buy, then I would purchase.  But my wife doesn’t drink much anymore and I’m not a huge drinker.  The package for us doesn’t pencil out.

like most things in life, your mileage may vary

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Unlike other cruise lines, Viking treat all pax like adults, so you can bring any type of alcoholic/non-alcohol beverages onboard at any port. Only limit is how much you can safely carry. Viking do not charge corkage to open and serve your own bottles of wine/beer in the restaurants, and the barmen will supply glasses.

However, the Silver Spirits Beverage Package is only $19.95 pp/day. Personally, I am on holiday and I have no desire to use some of our valuable time ashore to purchase drinks to bring aboard. If we are out on a tour and find some nice wines, or beers, then we will definitely purchase some and bring them aboard.

We find the SSBP good value and more importantly, it provides options for different wines and also a pre-dinner cocktail and some Port after dinner. I might even have a beer or three outside of lunch/dinner. In our experience, with SSBP the ordering of drinks is way easier, especially if you have a consistent order and you get to know the waiters. Often, once our glasses were close to empty, new drinks simply arrived. Also at the evening show, one of the waiters brought new drinks every night just as the lights went down. Never had to actually order.

When not on a cruise where SSBP is included, it is the first thing we pre-purchase.

This has been the most helpful comment I have seen, in regards to the SSBP. Thank you very much!!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

I have always wondered about folks that will pay Viking prices then quibble about drinks costs..  Strange.

Just off the Viking Ocean a few months ago where the drink package covered Everything.

And,  on to the NCL Bliss today.

Our “NCL Ultimate Drink Package”

does not buy a cup of Starbucks.

Today, Cath’s coffee will be added to our invoice.

No problem.

On 8/15/2018 at 3:02 PM, CharTrav said:

Temp scanners?? What am I missing here? There'a gotta be a joke or punch line here somewhere![emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just found this board and am working to catch up. I found this practice in 2018 to be, well, prophetic.

48 minutes ago, RPapaMarshall said:

I just found this board and am working to catch up. I found this practice in 2018 to be, well, prophetic.

I can't remember this post at all. Now to dig back into this thread!

Edited by CharTrav

• 4 months later...
On 5/27/2021 at 2:49 PM, CharTrav said:

To add to Peregrina's reply, there's a lot of info provided in the Guest Statement (aka Invoice) that you won't find anywhere in the MVJ (just checked mine to confirm).  In addition to the financial part (inc final payment date) it provides:  a detailed cruise itinerary (port arrival and departure, whether the port is a "tender port" -- little red anchor means it is), earliest embarkation time, the dates when reservations for specialty dining and main dining are open (the MVJ onboard experience section displays the exact date and time when reservations for the main dining open), and date when excursions are open for booking.  In the case of the latter, the excursions open for viewing about  4 to 6 weeks before.  You can also use MVJ to email a copy of the invoice to you.  Open the menu (three horizontal bars top left), select "Account", "Request Invoice", and press the dark blue rectangle.  Assuming Viking has your email address -- the invoice will be sent to you.

Sorry for bringing this topic to top.  Didn't know about it last year.  Have 2nd V cruise booked, and am slowly reading topic in reverse order, to learn from more experienced V pax.  On MVJ, account, there is only a button to change password.  Booked through TA.  Is it only available when booking direct?  Thank you to all who posted such very useful info.

• Like 1