Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

3 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Many TA's (besides Clay's) offer the $150pp/$300pp/$500pp depending upon the length of the cruise.

In fact, my TA offers this and a separate OBC.  On my last 14 day Viking Ocean cruise last month I received a total of $900.  $600 refundable and $300 non refundable.

35 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Interesting, MikeyB.

I didn't know that Viking allowed TA's to give more than the $150pp/$300pp/$500pp  OnBoardCredits.  Was this "under the table" so to speak (the $300 non refundable extras)?  a "gift"?   Had not heard of that before.

Agreed.  They are breaking Viking's rules (photo below) but more power to you!

IMG_4477.jpeg

2 hours ago, GAWLT said:

Clay - Can you share your TA's name & phone number?  Thanks! Carol

2 hours ago, GAWLT said:

Mikey - Can you give me your TA's name & phone number?  Thanks! Carol

Sorry, but it's against CC's rules to post TA information or post emails/telephone numbers for the purpose of providing TA information.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Interesting, MikeyB.

I didn't know that Viking allowed TA's to give more than the $150pp/$300pp/$500pp  OnBoardCredits.  Was this "under the table" so to speak (the $300 non refundable extras)?  a "gift"?   Had not heard of that before.

Hi CC,

Yes, it was an interesting development.  I never expected more.  But there it was when I booked the cruise.  

I don't know what to call it.  But it is certainly not a gift. I find the process whereby the TA rebates part of their commission back to the passenger pretty remarkable.  But I am happy to take it.  Whatever it's called.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

Hi CC,

Yes, it was an interesting development.  I never expected more.  But there it was when I booked the cruise.  

I don't know what to call it.  But it is certainly not a gift. I find the process whereby the TA rebates part of their commission back to the passenger pretty remarkable.  But I am happy to take it.  Whatever it's called.

Are you sure you weren't booked using a promotion from Viking that came with onboard credit of $150pp? 

Well, since you asked......yes I'm sure.

The $150pp promotion was not on the Viking website.  In fact, I booked that cruise using a promo code that I got from the thread you created.  The $150pp was on the TA's website.  Along with the usual $150/$300?$600.

For those that do not believe, go look at my TA's website.  It should still be there.  And I think I was pretty clear who I use.

• Thanks 1

Booked a cruise a TA BCN / SJU during a 2022 Mem Day Sale:  used a promo code sent via email from V

Included extra $500 OBC and extra $300 OBC, in addition to TA max V OBC allowed.

Of the $500 and $300 above --  one came from V, and the other from TA consortium -- not sure which was which.

This was in May of 2022, with V trying to fill ships,

Also had a terrific reduced fare -- had to book it.  Was a wonderful voyage.

Edited by FetaCheese
addl info
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, oceandream said:

Soon on the Neptune ship and wondering where to go for lunch on embarcation day..

Where and what time will they be open. Thank you

I also had this question and found the following discussion:

51 minutes ago, oceandream said:

Soon on the Neptune ship and wondering where to go for lunch on embarcation day..

Where and what time will they be open. Thank you

World Café and Pool grill are open at 11:00 AM

Here is the Viking Daily from embarkation Day on the Sky a few months ago

772613F0-C59D-43DF-A5CF-3E329E1C9493.thumb.jpeg.d8851f09cbba45579fe770d773894773.jpeg

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We always go to World Cafe upon boarding.  Every cruise we've had (and there's a few), without fail, the menu has wonderful salmon on embarkation day!  That, with a nice glass of white wine and maybe a small salad, makes the perfect "welcome aboard" lunch while we wait for our rooms to be ready!

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We always go to World Cafe upon boarding.  Every cruise we've had (and there's a few), without fail, the menu has wonderful salmon on embarkation day!  That, with a nice glass of white wine and maybe a small salad, makes the perfect "welcome aboard" lunch while we wait for our rooms to be ready!

A burger or dog and something from the salad bar at the pool grill with a couple of Baltic Porters works just fine as well.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

And if the weather is nice, you can take your lunch out to the Aquavit terrace. And I have to say, embarkation lunch is one of my favorite moments of a cruise. Enjoy!

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

And if the weather is nice, you can take your lunch out to the Aquavit terrace. And I have to say, embarkation lunch is one of my favorite moments of a cruise. Enjoy!

We love to do that!  Sadly, our past cruise New York to Iceland, wasn’t practical.  We boarded in NY during those horrible days of Canada wildfire smoke!  Could barely see the Statue or Skyline sailing out!

next time!

• 2 weeks later...

As a new Viking cruiser (been on many other cruises though), do we need to bring an overnight case for night before/morning of disembarkation (as other cruise lines recommend)?  We are on Viking's post-cruise excursion; does that make a difference?  (Packing now; so trying to decide if I need to pack an overnight bag for that night or not.). TYIA.

33 minutes ago, cruz_happy said:

As a new Viking cruiser (been on many other cruises though), do we need to bring an overnight case for night before/morning of disembarkation (as other cruise lines recommend)?  We are on Viking's post-cruise excursion; does that make a difference?  (Packing now; so trying to decide if I need to pack an overnight bag for that night or not.). TYIA.

I haven't done any of Viking's extensions, but for getting off the cruise and either going to a hotel or airport, I bring a small carry on (or a small tote that can be added to carryon) which can hold at least one or two days of clothing, shoes, toothbrush/paste, medications and nightwear.  I find it's also a good idea to do this when going TO a cruise, as there's always a possibility that the air part of your journey does not go as expected.  

A few people like to walk off the ship with all of their luggage, but that seems completely not necessary to me.  Luggage isn't taken away until late the last night.  Viking is good about allowing people to leave the ship pretty early once it's in port, tied, up and cleared. And it has never taken us more than 10 minutes to find and get luggage in the port terminal (if needed; not sure if needed for post-cruise extensions).

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

20 minutes ago, cruz_happy said:

No matter where you are traveling, it is best to have a change of clothing in hand (i.e. in your carry-ons) because you never know when the airlines are going to lose your luggage.

For disembarkation, unless you want to wrangle all of your luggage off the ship yourself, luggage is put outside your stateroom the night before, so you will need something to carry what you slept in the night before and all of the things that should not be in your checked luggage (meds, electronics, passports, etc.).

It does not make a difference if you are on post-extension; you will still be putting your luggage out the night before and you will still have things that you will be carrying off the ship in the morning. No matter where you are headed, airport or hotel, you will be gathering your own suitcases in the terminal and getting them to the bus.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You only really need them when you are leaving and reentering the ship.  You don't need them onboard.  If you want to buy something onboard, you tell them your cabin number and they check your photo on their tablets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dd57 said:

You only really need them when you are leaving and reentering the ship.  You don't need them onboard.  If you want to buy something onboard, you tell them your cabin number and they check your photo on their tablets.

Thank you

11 minutes ago, dd57 said:

Do we need them to open the door to our cabin?  

7 minutes ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

Do we need them to open the door to our cabin?  

(Head slap)  oh, duh!  Of course we do.  I was so focused on the not needing them around the ship that I spaced on that.

So @Mickey111, I  apologize.  I use a small crossbody purse or my pockets.

Edited by dd57
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, dd57 said:

(Head slap)  oh, duh!  Of course we do.  I was so focused on the not needing them around the ship that I spaced on that.

So @Mickey111, I  apologize.  I use a small crossbodynpurse or my pockets.

WHEW!  I was really hoping they did not give us actual keys.  LOL

17 minutes ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

WHEW!  I was really hoping they did not give us actual keys.  LOL

For those hell bent on not carrying a card while onboard...

Viking will install a 15 digit combination door lock. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 5