Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

3 hours ago, madmedic said:

Oh Peregrina I'm sold! Looks like Viking will be the one for us. Just need to find the right itinerary now. 

I rave about "Into the Midnight Sun."  It was our first Oceans cruise, back when the Oceans division was still getting its feet wet. 

On the other hand, if pool and sun is what you are looking for, try one of the Mediterranean or Caribbean itineraries.

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I rave about "Into the Midnight Sun."  It was our first Oceans cruise, back when the Oceans division was still getting its feet wet. 

On the other hand, if pool and sun is what you are looking for, try one of the Mediterranean or Caribbean itineraries.

Totally agree! Last year we did the combined “Into the Midnight Sun” and “Homelands” and it was perfect.(I think it was called “Midnight Sun and Baltic Jewels”.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

If you want to sit at the restaurant or WC and drink until they close, you can. You might want to seek professional help, but you can.

When they close would still be a limiting factor.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, duquephart said:

When they close would still be a limiting factor.

Generally the WC, Pool Grill and Mamsens  are open for lunch 11:30 am -2:30 pm and the Restaurant noon- 1:30 when open.  The WC can have lunchtime variations.   Dinner is 6-9 pm.  Exact times are posted in the Viking Daily so check each day and don't assume the times for one day are same for all.  The Pool Grill and Mamsens are also open for Snacks later in the afternoon.  I don't know if the Snacks hours also include free wine and beer.  Viking says wine/beer are included with lunch and dinner not snacks.  So the question remains - what about Room Service?  Can folks only get included wine/beer delivered during posted lunch and dinner times or can one order "lunch" to their room at 3:30 pm and get a free beer?  This is getting complicated...

4 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Generally the WC, Pool Grill and Mamsens  are open for lunch 11:30 am -2:30 pm and the Restaurant noon- 1:30 when open.  The WC can have lunchtime variations.   Dinner is 6-9 pm.  Exact times are posted in the Viking Daily so check each day and don't assume the times for one day are same for all.  The Pool Grill and Mamsens are also open for Snacks later in the afternoon.  I don't know if the Snacks hours also include free wine and beer.  Viking says wine/beer are included with lunch and dinner not snacks.  So the question remains - what about Room Service?  Can folks only get included wine/beer delivered during posted lunch and dinner times or can one order "lunch" to their room at 3:30 pm and get a free beer?  This is getting complicated...

My guess would be that one needs to be in the appropriate area at the appropriate tmes.

Our last day before disembarkation we were in Isafjordur and back on board time was 3:30. Lots of the afternoon tours came back by 3:00 and folks (including us) had late lunches at the Pool Grill. Free wine/beer & sodas for all.

• Like 3

On 7/23/2023 at 6:14 PM, madmedic said:

As I'm considering booking a VO cruise for the small ship experience. I usually do Celebrity with 3000 guests. I am wondering how crowded the bars, theatre and pool deck is . Obviously a lot less passengers but also a smaller ship. So stressful having to get up at the crack of dawn to beat the chair hogs when I'm supposed to be on holiday. Please tell me it's better on Viking.😂

We also sail Celebrity but love Viking for the small ship experience - ~900 passengers, nowhere ever fills crowded, can always get a seat virtually anywhere when you want one. Two specialty restaurants included, a shore excursion included ( though beware often a coach sightseeing tour), drinks with lunch and dinner - we have bought a silver silver package on some trips and not on others.  Rooms are spacious, free Nordic spa, afternoon tea in the Wintergarden is not to be missed. World cafe (aka the buffet) is very good and has many of the items on offer in the Resturant (lobster is not limited unlike Celebrity 😂). We are doing less Celebrity and more Viking cruises this year and next.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the tips. Sounds like the cruise for us. My budget only allows for a V2 which is a guarantee versus a V1. Which one would you prefer in terms of noise and stability? Aft is above the restaurant and forward V1 above torshavn. How early and late could we expect any noise? 

1 minute ago, madmedic said:

Thanks for all the tips. Sounds like the cruise for us. My budget only allows for a V2 which is a guarantee versus a V1. Which one would you prefer in terms of noise and stability? Aft is above the restaurant and forward V1 above torshavn. How early and late could we expect any noise? 

I'd go for above the restaurant, torshavn is a late night music venue

• Like 1

On Saturn currently, cabin 3056 directly above Torshavn.  Shuts down at Midnight.  You hear bass but didn’t notice it with the tv on. The door to the laundry across the hall is louder!  

Above the restaurant would be much more quiet. 

never heard the laundry door on 5048 BUT Torshhavn all times of the day/night when in 3055....Viking moved us during a World Cruise thankfully.  Beware of taking a guarantee cabin.

• Like 1