Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

On 8/17/2023 at 11:07 AM, Mickey111 said:

We are on Viking Mars 12 September from Bergen with pre extension in Oslo.

husband may need to bring electric wheelchair or scooter along.

does anyone have experience of this situation?

Please contact Viking tomorrow. Please. 

16 hours ago, whitbob said:

We did this cruise last Sept. including Oslo pre-cruise with Train.  In response to concern with getting on in Bergen, as I recall we boarded through the cruise terminal using escalators/elevators and permanent ramps rather than the Mars ship ramp, which did have short steps.  

If your pre-cruise includes the train and Thon Opera hotel there are a few hurdles with that part of the trip.  You walk to the train, not far, but there may be step ups and ramps, etc. I will include a few pictures.  The storage for scooter may not be near or in your train car.  Most of the cars were all rows of seats, we happen to be in a short or split car with only 6 rows of seats and a small luggage storage area.

The disembark in Greenwich was ramps.   Based upon tides, they can be slight incline or steep.  You also have to navigate from the ship to a platform in the river, then onto a large ferry catamaran then back off at a ferry dock before the ramp to shore.

Finally, you might want to search for the several British Isles threads on Viking CC.    Those might have more details that can help you with accessibility at the ports where you have your excursions planned.

I am happy to answer any questions.

IMG_4339.thumb.jpeg.4bc2021930602e2ad88f9f1ca36c7256.jpegIMG_4340.thumb.jpeg.f03ebd85fdc5db6b6a37fd8ea6766590.jpegIMG_4341.thumb.jpeg.c303dff337ebb593aa9166885b62bb7d.jpegIMG_4600.thumb.jpeg.59f468018625f91535080bea8e456f56.jpegIMG_4563.thumb.jpeg.8454beecafd62c23d66c577a40711596.jpeg

Thank you very much we are actually Bergen to Montreal but and useful info gratefully received. I’m assuming once on board it will be much easier for him. He has new meds so hopefully will improve shortly. He may very well manage with crutches

3 hours ago, Mickey111 said:

Thank you very much we are actually Bergen to Montreal but and useful info gratefully received. I’m assuming once on board it will be much easier for him. He has new meds so hopefully will improve shortly. He may very well manage with crutches

The only place i can think of on board where he would need to negotiate stairs are the 2 or 3 steps up into the Wintergarden.  Tea is served in that gorgeous space.  However the overflow is served in the lanai along the sides of the Wintergarden with no steps.  The Star Theatre where evening shows take place as well as lectures, port talks and movies during the day has stairs to seating up and down.  However there are some rows of seats level with the entrance doors.  In the Explorers Lounge on Deck 7, you will see a staircase to the lovely upper Explorers Lounge on Deck 8.  Deck 8 EL can also be reached via the forward elevators.  From there just walk down the short hallway of staterooms to the end and there is a door directly into the EL.  You can also reach the Deck 9 forward "sports" deck and outdoor seating areas by using the forward elevators.  Don't avoid the World Cafe self serve buffet or carry all the food to the table yourself.  The staff is happy to help carry your dishes if needed.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

The only place i can think of on board where he would need to negotiate stairs are the 2 or 3 steps up into the Wintergarden.

There is a ramp into the Wintergarden on the starboard side. I don't use the portside enough to remember if there is one over there as well.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mickey111 said:

I don’t know your husband’s exact situation, but if he hasn’t used crutches frequently, he may be in for a world of hurt trying to get around. My husband had an ankle replacement last December that was more extensive than expected and instead of two weeks on crutches ended up with six. It was brutal as our home is two levels with bedroom & shower upstairs. It also has a combo of flooring downstairs with carpet/wood/tile, as well as a step down to the living room, as well as two steps to get into the house. Upstairs is all carpet (except bathrooms & laundry). He used a rolling walker upstairs for very short distances, then scooted on derrière downstairs, then crutches below. Due to our small rooms, carpeting, & tight corners, a scooter wasn’t feasible.

If you can at all get a small scooter I think you will be better off. Just our opinion & experience.

Edited by LindaS272

11 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

I don’t know your husband’s exact situation, but if he hasn’t used crutches frequently, he may be in for a world of hurt trying to get around. My husband had an ankle replacement last December that was more extensive than expected and instead of two weeks on crutches ended up with six. It was brutal as our home is two levels with bedroom & shower upstairs. It also has a combo of flooring downstairs with carpet/wood/tile, as well as a step down to the living room, as well as two steps to get into the house. Upstairs is all carpet (except bathrooms & laundry). He used a rolling walker upstairs for very short distances, then scooted on derrière downstairs, then crutches below. Due to our small rooms, carpeting, & tight corners, a scooter wasn’t feasible.

If you can at all get a small scooter I think you will be better off. Just our opinion & experience.

Thank you

he had a knee replacement in may and used crutches then we’re lucky as our house is all on ground floor level (new build designed that way) his main problem is pain from the sciatica which is almost unbearable at present but doc is working on it with new meds. Hoping they kick in otherwise will have to cancel 😢😢😢

3 minutes ago, Mickey111 said:

Thank you

he had a knee replacement in may and used crutches then we’re lucky as our house is all on ground floor level (new build designed that way) his main problem is pain from the sciatica which is almost unbearable at present but doc is working on it with new meds. Hoping they kick in otherwise will have to cancel 😢😢😢

I don’t know how sciatica relates to a disc problem, but Mr B got much more relief with EXPERT physical therapy than with meds.

• Like 1

This may or may not be helpful. But just in case...

When we were cruising earlier this year, we met a couple, one of whom used a walker like this when not using a wheelchair. It folds to a fairly small size. I asked about it because my youngest son was about to travel to visit his big brother. I ended up buying it for him, and he loved it. He could hold it while being wheeled between gates at the airport, and he used it (semi-narrowed) to easily get down airplane aisles. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085LV9GSH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Image.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

When we were cruising earlier this year, we met a couple, one of whom used a walker like this when not using a wheelchair. It folds to a fairly small size. I asked about it because my youngest son was about to travel to visit his big brother. I ended up buying it for him, and he loved it. He could hold it while being wheeled between gates at the airport, and he used it (semi-narrowed) to easily get down airplane aisles. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085LV9GSH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Image.png

Thank you very much that might be just the thing!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zelker said:

Looking at Longitudinal V on Octantis in 2025. Can someone tell me what is located on Deck 1 below the N2 staterooms on Deck 2, please?

Getting answers here is all about getting the people with answers to see your question. Have you asked on the Expeditions thread? Viking Expeditions Thread.

Or maybe even better is starting a new thread in this forum (Viking Oceans), one that clearly states in the title that it is an Expeditions question, so that you attract the attention of folks with Expeditions experience.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Getting answers here is all about getting the people with answers to see your question. Have you asked on the Expeditions thread? Viking Expeditions Thread.

Or maybe even better is starting a new thread in this forum (Viking Oceans), one that clearly states in the title that it is an Expeditions question, so that you attract the attention of folks with Expeditions experience.

I JUST found the Expeditions thread 10 minutes ago and posted it there.  Thanks though!!  

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2023 at 11:26 AM, MamaFej said:

Image.png

My 89-yo mother has a walker similar to this and everyone is amazed when she makes it fold to go thru narrow places. Hers is not designed to sit down on though.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, xiphoid76 said:

Super excited to be on our first Viking cruise on the Sky in just over 60 days...woohoo!  Been waiting 2 years for this trip and can not wait.  Any advice on first things to do when we get on board appreciated 🙂  

Check in, then take a nap…

after you get to your cabin. 🙂

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, xiphoid76 said:

Super excited to be on our first Viking cruise on the Sky in just over 60 days...woohoo!  Been waiting 2 years for this trip and can not wait.  Any advice on first things to do when we get on board appreciated 🙂  

Lunch at the Pool Grill before you unpack 😊 Enjoy!

• Like 2

Once you have gone through all the boarding formalities, regardless of your cabin category, check to see if your cabin is ready. If you see a steward near by, ask if you can leave your hand luggage in the closet even if the cabin isn't completely ready.  If the cabin is not ready, don't wait for the announcement to check again, because Viking doesn't announce until all of the cabins are ready.

Your steward will want to give you a guided tour of your cabin, showing you where all the important buttons and switches are and giving you a chance to express any needs (more hangers, ice for afternoon cocktails, sparkling water instead of or in addition to still, extra towels, special pillows, what you would prefer in your mini-bar, etc). Do it now or make a date for later in the afternoon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, xiphoid76 said:

Check with Guest Services to see if there are any extras that might be of interest: tours of the kitchen, the bridge, etc., and sign up. If you want more dates at the Speciality Restaurants, sign up at one of the  restaurants (sometimes you have to search for the place to do this. Guest Services can work magic!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, millybess said:

Lunch at the Pool Grill before you unpack 😊 Enjoy!

FYI If you don’t want to sit in the pool area, you can get your food and take it to the World Cafe, which is next door. Pool area can be a bit humid. Plus WC has the gelato.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne