Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

LOL Kent, I added some leg strength and balance exercises as I am determined to be able to walk the wall in Dubrovnik and up to the Acropolis.   BTW I think we are going to ditch the Viking Post and stay at a boutique hotel near the Plaka instead.

I've been using Nordic hiking poles for years to help my balance and walking issues. I would heartily recommend them to everyone. Even if you don't have issues, they help you move faster and in climbing. 

Probably hiking poles would do just as well.

Unfortunately someone stole my beloved pair that I bought in Baku, Azerbaijan when I had to make an emergency purchase. Will need to replace asap!

Mia

41 minutes ago, marylovestotravel said:

Unfortunately someone stole my beloved pair that I bought in Baku, Azerbaijan when I had to make an emergency purchase. Will need to replace asap!

This is one of those times that I wish that CC had a sad face "reaction."

That is a bummer!! They weren't just a walking aid, were they; they were a unique and irreplaceable souvenir from another amazing adventure, one that was re-lived each time you picked up the poles.

On the other hand, if you do get back there, the new poles will now be part of an equally as amazing adventure and a tale of buying, losing and replacing the poles.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

This is one of those times that I wish that CC had a sad face "reaction."

That is a bummer!! They weren't just a walking aid, were they; they were a unique and irreplaceable souvenir from another amazing adventure, one that was re-lived each time you picked up the poles.

On the other hand, if you do get back there, the new poles will now be part of an equally as amazing adventure and a tale of buying, losing and replacing the poles.

Thanks for your understanding. On the scale of events, it is rather minor, but still.. 

And to think someone just picked them up when I was distracted!!! I think there is a bit of bad karma that goes with that.

Mia

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

LOL Kent, I added some leg strength and balance exercises as I am determined to be able to walk the wall in Dubrovnik and up to the Acropolis.   BTW I think we are going to ditch the Viking Post and stay at a boutique hotel near the Plaka instead.

The walk to the Acropolis is not that bad. The killer part of Dubrovnik is the first set of stairs. That is by far the hardest part.

IMG_0987.thumb.jpeg.7befe3488f8c58b6452ebce695284f1a.jpeg

• Like 2

On 9/13/2023 at 11:22 PM, marylovestotravel said:

I've looked, but can't find details of what we can expect to see in our minibars on Viking Ocean, and what we can reasonably request? 

Is Fevertree tonic an option?

Thanks,

Mia

My experience is that Fever Tree Tonic is only available in the evening in Torshavn.

It was readily available there in April 2023 when we did Trade Routes.

It was the only tonic water we could drink on the ship,all other ones (not just diet versions) available at other bars contained artificial sweeteners.

On 8/17/2023 at 10:57 AM, Mickey111 said:

Thank you so much. Just exploring at present don’t have a chair yet. He had knee replacement which went well now other knee is bad due to be done October 31. He has very bad sciatica which is affecting his walking and balance. He can walk short distances so if we can just get him onto the ship it’s a start not worried about excursions 

Instead of an electric wheelchair, I would like to suggest a foldable rollator.  This is a rolling walker, but has a seat, if it's needed for shore excursions, look for one that is all-terrain.  I generally use a cane but have to use one part of the time due to low back pain when standing or walking.  Amazon has many different styles and the price of these are by far the less expensive option. 

14 minutes ago, philbob84 said:

im sure this has been posted. but what brand of tea and coffee does Viking use

There was Dilmah tea in August of 2022. It had a plastic taste to me. We actually purchased some cheap tea at a grocery store in Poland for the rest of the cruise.

I have had better tasting Dilmah tea in hotels, so maybe the tea onboard had just sat too long during the shutdown? 

6 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

There was Dilmah tea in August of 2022. It had a plastic taste to me. We actually purchased some cheap tea at a grocery store in Poland for the rest of the cruise.

I have had better tasting Dilmah tea in hotels, so maybe the tea onboard had just sat too long during the shutdown? 

i will bring some constant comment in case 😅

we have had that issue at work i am workspace management and alot of coffee and other products sat there

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

It's made from coffee machine hot water, so not hot enough to brew, even if a decent brand available

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, californiagirl said:

As I shared on another thread we just booked Bangkok to Bali, November 2024.  We are not coffee or alcohol drinkers but we are big Diet Coke drinkers.  What diet cola is onboard in that region of the world?

I know they have Coke Zero since it's our soda of choice, but can't remember if they have Diet Coke. Hopefully someone else will be able to answer. 

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I know they have Coke Zero since it's our soda of choice, but can't remember if they have Diet Coke. Hopefully someone else will be able to answer. 

They have had Coke Light as well—but not on our July cruise this year on Saturn in Norway & Iceland. It was the Coke Zero—different formula.

• Like 1

We'll need to keep a medication cold and it has been suggested we contact TellUs by e-mail.  When I look up "contact us" on My Viking Journey, there is only a phone number.  Would someone please tell me the full  e-mail to use?  Thanks so much.

22 hours ago, gradydude said:

Is this the case in the Wintegarden for afternoon tea? 

The only way to get a decent cup of tea is to ask for a kettle in your room, take your own tea and make it yourself. Teapots can be got on board. 

Reports on the scones are mixed, we have tried the pastry components and are not particularly impressed

20 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Yes Viking has Diet Coke. Coke Zero is my choice and I’ve never been able to get it. 

6 minutes ago, millybess said:

Yes Viking has Diet Coke. Coke Zero is my choice and I’ve never been able to get it. 

They did not have Diet Coke on our cruise on Saturn in July in the Nordic countries—only Coke Zero. I don’t remember if they had Diet in SE Asia (OP’s cruise) on our 2019 cruise—possibly they had Coke Light instead (hubby is the Coke addict, not me). Last year (March/April) from SJ to BCN Viking had Diet Coke.