Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

7 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

They did not have Diet Coke on our cruise on Saturn in July in the Nordic countries—only Coke Zero. I don’t remember if they had Diet in SE Asia (OP’s cruise) on our 2019 cruise—possibly they had Coke Light instead (hubby is the Coke addict, not me). Last year (March/April) from SJ to BCN Viking had Diet Coke.

Oops….wrong board. This was about Azamara.

Italy-intensive on Onward (22 Aug 23 cruise) had Coke Light (with caffeine) and Coke Zero (w/o caffeine) as diet choices.

Edited by JaneStarr

7 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

They did not have Diet Coke on our cruise on Saturn in July in the Nordic countries—only Coke Zero. I don’t remember if they had Diet in SE Asia (OP’s cruise) on our 2019 cruise—possibly they had Coke Light instead (hubby is the Coke addict, not me). Last year (March/April) from SJ to BCN Viking had Diet Coke.

No Diet Coke on two Mediterranean cruises this year. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 17pandd said:

We'll need to keep a medication cold and it has been suggested we contact TellUs by e-mail.  When I look up "contact us" on My Viking Journey, there is only a phone number.  Would someone please tell me the full  e-mail to use?  Thanks so much.

tellus@vikingcruises.com

7 minutes ago, JaneStarr said:

Oops….wrong board. This was about Azamara.

Italy-intensive on Onward (22 Aug 23 cruise) had Coke Light (with caffeine) and Coke Zero (w/o caffeine) as diet choices.

I've never seen Coke Zero anywhere that doesn't have caffeine 🤔 but according to my friend Mr Google it does exist-but it comes in a black can.  Will have to look for it!

image.jpeg.33cc0787ea298207749e62dcb2799bb7.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I've never seen Coke Zero anywhere that doesn't have caffeine 🤔 but according to my friend Mr Google it does exist-but it comes in a black can.  Will have to look for it!

image.jpeg.33cc0787ea298207749e62dcb2799bb7.jpeg

It actually was a red can, as I recall. It specifically said «zero sugar; zero caffeine » prominently on the can. 

I don’t seem to have a good photo of it from the ship, but I found this one that resembles it online:

IMG_1931.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 17pandd said:

We'll need to keep a medication cold and it has been suggested we contact TellUs by e-mail.  When I look up "contact us" on My Viking Journey, there is only a phone number.  Would someone please tell me the full  e-mail to use?  Thanks so much.

There is a mini-fridge in every cabin. It is stocked with goodies that are yours to consume. There is also room for other items. These photos were taken on the Viking Sea in 2016. Configuration on newer ships may differ.

00-Ql6biy-mZ87rWVfOSHXTCdySImIvB1QE_lBES

00-Ql6biy-mZ87rWVfOSHXTCdySImIvB1QE_lBES

The e-mail you requested is TellUs@vikingcruises.com

• Like 2

15 hours ago, philbob84 said:

what about coffee brand?

I too would like to see a discussion about coffee.  Presumably it is a European style not American style, but which brand and the strength of the coffee available in the restaurants is important.  When we lived in Germany there were some German coffees that were way too strong for us but others that were quite good.  Thanks for any insight.

So...about stateroom storage: We've recently spent a wonderful week on the Orion in Alaska. And this time I actually remembered to bring my measuring tape. Attached is a listing of the storage spaces in a DV stateroom.

Of note: Our stateroom had a drawer unit in one side of the closet. Last year we were on the Sea and our DV didn't have this unit. I'm not sure if Viking is retrofitting but if this is significant for you I'd suggest doing a bit of research if your ship is one of the older ones.

Enjoy,

Randy

DV Stateroom Storage - Orion.pdf

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RPapaMarshall said:

So...about stateroom storage: We've recently spent a wonderful week on the Orion in Alaska. And this time I actually remembered to bring my measuring tape. Attached is a listing of the storage spaces in a DV stateroom.

Of note: Our stateroom had a drawer unit in one side of the closet. Last year we were on the Sea and our DV didn't have this unit. I'm not sure if Viking is retrofitting but if this is significant for you I'd suggest doing a bit of research if your ship is one of the older ones.

Enjoy,

Randy

DV Stateroom Storage - Orion.pdf 71.73 kB · 14 downloads

Sky has the added drawers or so it has been posted on these boards. 

3 hours ago, RPapaMarshall said:

Enjoy,

Randy

DV Stateroom Storage - Orion.pdf 71.73 kB · 21 downloads

Drawers in DV closet became standard  beginning with Orion.  Then the Sky got outfitted with them.  As far as I know the Star and Sea have not.

23 hours ago, KBs mum said:

The only way to get a decent cup of tea is to ask for a kettle in your room, take your own tea and make it yourself. Teapots can be got on board. 

Reports on the scones are mixed, we have tried the pastry components and are not particularly impressed

Can you get milk in your cabin for your tea?

On 9/18/2023 at 5:34 AM, BRWolf said:

I too would like to see a discussion about coffee.  Presumably it is a European style not American style, but which brand and the strength of the coffee available in the restaurants is important.  When we lived in Germany there were some German coffees that were way too strong for us but others that were quite good.  Thanks for any insight.

Best coffee is on deck one, Living Room bar.  Second best is from the machines in World Cafe.  The stuff in the carafes is terrible- hot water added to a concentrate.  The DVs and above have Nepresso machines (traditional capsule) in the rooms.  If you have a preference regarding espresso, bring capsules as there are only two choices—Roma or decaf.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mickey111 said:

Hi folks 

how do I leave roll calls etc? We had to cancel wake of the Vikings and I’m still getting lots of notifications which though interesting are not needed now and I can return.

thanks to all who have helped with advice etc

Sorry that you have had to cancel your cruise.

Here is how to control notifications on a thread by thread basis:

Go to the roll call/thread. Find the button that says "Following." It looks like this on a desktop browser (where it is at the top of the page): image.png.7ab6cfdb19a63261277f8aa0c4454364.png. When the menu drops down, click where it says "Unfollow."  You will notice when you open the menu that it allows you to control notifications -- Weekly Digest, Daily Digest, Instant Notification (the default setting) and NO Notifcations.

Here is how to control notification how notifications are handled going forward:

Change your notification settings at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/notifications/options/

There is also a way to control your settings so that you are not automatically "following" any thread in which you post, such that you have to actively choose to follow a thread -- and you can choose to automatically follow a thread with NO Notifications (which is what I do; I then used the ACTVITY function to check for threads with new posts whenever I decide to visit to visit CC. There are a number of default activity threads already set up ,one of which is "Content I Follow" https://boards.cruisecritic.com/discover/followed-content/?&stream_date_type=relative&view=condensed ).

Use the navigation bars at the top of the page to find settings

image.png.4ed7fbf747bdd9b9f6cdaf92dd700d39.png

Notification settings = click on the bell

General settings are accessed by clicking the down triangle beside your user name

These things can also be managed on a mobile device but I can't tell you how to do it exactly. I can only say that it is similar but that the placement of the buttons and maybe even their look is different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

If you want a discussion about coffee, then make it happen. Start a new thread and get the ball rolling.

I guess this is the tea thread.  Funny, it is supposed to be the tips for new Viking Cruisers thread.  

• Haha 1

First time Viking Ocean cruisers here - Viking Sea West Indies Explorer next February.  We just got our flight information from Viking.  The outgoing flights are fine.  However, the return flight does not leave San Juan until 6:24 pm.  I looked at changing flights, but would cost several hundred $s.  So disappointed.  We have used Viking Air in the past on a couple of river cruises and were very satisfied.  Does Viking offer departure tours that end up at the airport?  I could not find any on the web site.  Does anyone have other suggestions on what we can do over those many hours?

2 hours ago, BRWolf said:

I guess this is the tea thread.  Funny, it is supposed to be the tips for new Viking Cruisers thread.  

Soda, tea, coffee. It doesn't matter. Sometimes you just have to expand your audience by starting a new thread, not burying the discussion as a sub-discussion in some longer thread.

Personally, I think all three topics, as well as a whole bunch more buried here, deserve their own thread.The bigger the audience, the better the chance for a good discussion and answers to questions.