Tell me everything I need to know about staying in a Neptune Suite!

ldlewis45

My parents and I will be sharing a corner wrap Neptune Suite on the Oosterdam for our cruise in August. It's our first suite and our first cruise on HAL (and my dad's first cruise, period). Tell me everything that we should know to get the best out of the experience, or to avoid embarrassing ourselves, lol!

My parents and I will be sharing a corner wrap Neptune Suite on the Oosterdam for our cruise in August. It's our first suite and our first cruise on HAL (and my dad's first cruise, period). Tell me everything that we should know to get the best out of the experience, or to avoid embarrassing ourselves, lol!

The one and only "embarrassing" moment I saw a Neptune Suite passengers commit was showing up in the Neptune Lounge for breakfast in his bathrobe, night clothes and slippers. He was from an un-named country where this may very well be standard hotel behavior, I don't know.

But other than that I can't think of anything else - just people enjoying themselves and the perks that come with the level of cabin you chose. The hospitality industry is interested primarily in making people happy and willing to come back to enjoy their services again and again. You are the one in charge, you are the customer.

The social expectations are primarily Northern American and Northern European for the baseline. However, HAL ships go out of their way to welcome passengers from around the world. And no one made a scene about the guy in his pajamas in the Neptune Lounge. But we never saw him again dressed like that ..... out in public. Perhaps a discrete request was made by the Neptune concierge or he looked around and realized he was the odd man out. It was a travel lesson for all of us, which is what makes travel broadening.

One other thing that could cause embarrassment is knowing your priority tender embarkation that comes with the suite does not provide priority re-embarkation when it comes time to take the tender back to the ship in those tender ports. You just get in line just like anyone else. Don't get to flash that gold Neptune boarding card to go to the head of the line, which can be hot and long.

The one and only "embarrassing" moment I saw a Neptune Suite passengers commit was showing up in the Neptune Lounge for breakfast in his bathrobe, night clothes and slippers. He was from an un-named country where this may very well be standard hotel behavior, I don't know.

But other than that I can't think of anything else - just people enjoying themselves and the perks that come with the level of cabin you chose. The hospitality industry is interested primarily in making people happy and willing to come back to enjoy their services again and again. You are the one in charge, you are the customer.

The social expectations are primarily Northern American and Northern European for the baseline. However, HAL ships go out of their way to welcome passengers from around the world. And no one made a scene about the guy in his pajamas in the Neptune Lounge. But we never saw him again dressed like that ..... out in public. Perhaps a discrete request was made by the Neptune concierge or he looked around and realized he was the odd man out. It was a travel lesson for all of us, which is what makes travel broadening.

One other thing that could cause embarrassment is knowing your priority tender embarkation that comes with the suite does not provide priority re-embarkation when it comes time to take the tender back to the ship in those tender ports. You just get in line just like anyone else. Don't get to flash that gold Neptune boarding card to go to the head of the line, which can be hot and long.

What perks were your favorite?

Wow, you folks will be spoiled, especially your father on his first cruise. Once in the Neptunes it will be hard to take anything less.

From the Neptune lounge you can get your coffee and juices anytime of the day, they even have a cappuccino machine. They have light snacks for different times of the day, breakfast - breakfast items and so on, no hot food. I notice the food, although light, is much better quality, especially the fruits. You also get to dine for breakfast and lunch in the Pinnacle Restaurant (no charge), they will charge for dinner. You have your very gracious and helpful concierge, they can make reservations for you dinner and excursions.

The priority disembarkation is really helpful, especially in some ports where tender is required. You don't have to wait for your number to be called.

You also free laundry service.

My husband has a hard time when I tell him we only have a balcony.

ENJOY!

What perks were your favorite?

Here are the ones we like the best, though some we also now get with our 5 star HAL status too:

The small plate nibbles in the Neptune Lounge for breakfast and lunch. And the generous size of the suite itself. We always spend far more time in the cabin itself rather than the public rooms when we have a Neptune Suite. The smaller cocktail events with the ship's officers, and special suites guest luncheons in the Pinnacle or Main Dining Room restaurant.

The priority embarkation to the ship itself on the first day. Free dry cleaning, and suspect you will love the free laundry which is one of the great Mariner's perk too - their cruise loyalty reward group. Getting our airline boarding pass printed before we depart.

The special coffee machine that gives you specialty coffees at the push of a button.

Sounds like you will be having a wonderful time and what a very nice surprise you are planning. One problem with the aft suites however is the Neptune Lounge can be further away from the other rows of Neptune suites. But the aft suites more than make up for this one drawback with their fabulous views, So take advantage of the special Neptune room service options if you don't want to carry the little nibbles back to your cabin. We always bring a small tray ourselves, if we plan on more than what we can carry to make an in cabin meal.

Wow, you folks will be spoiled, especially your father on his first cruise. Once in the Neptunes it will be hard to take anything less.

From the Neptune lounge you can get your coffee and juices anytime of the day, they even have a cappuccino machine. They have light snacks for different times of the day, breakfast - breakfast items and so on, no hot food. I notice the food, although light, is much better quality, especially the fruits. You also get to dine for breakfast and lunch in the Pinnacle Restaurant (no charge), they will charge for dinner. You have your very gracious and helpful concierge, they can make reservations for you dinner and excursions.

The priority disembarkation is really helpful, especially in some ports where tender is required. You don't have to wait for your number to be called.

You also free laundry service.

My husband has a hard time when I tell him we only have a balcony.

ENJOY!

As far as I know, lunch is not an amenity, only breakfast in the Pinnacle is part of the Neptune Suite amenities.

Complimentary laundry and dry cleaning.

How wonderful to have a Neptune Suite for your Dad's first cruise!

The Neptune Lounge will have 1 or 2 concierges on duty - who will perform a myriad of tasks on your behalf:

they will make reservations in the specialty dining rooms for you; they can arrange for canapes to be delivered to your cabin late in the afternoon to keep you from feeling faint before dinner :rolleyes:; they will cash travellers cheques for you and change out large bills if you need them; if you have an issue with your laundry, they'll take care of it; if you would like an appointment with the Future Cruise Consultant, let them know and they'll make it for you.

There is a computer station in the Neptune Lounge for suite passengers, but you will have to use up your own minutes - it isn't free. There is a wine fridge that isn't stocked with wine, but cold towels for when you return from a shore excursion and need to cool down.

There is a great selection of snacks and treats, depending on the time of day - breakfast, lunch, or dinner - you can pick up a couple and take them to your cabin along with coffee/tea/cappuccino/juice.

I can't wait to hear back from you - have a wonderful cruise.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

As far as I know, lunch is not an amenity, only breakfast in the Pinnacle is part of the Neptune Suite amenities.

Complimentary laundry and dry cleaning.

Correct on both ;)

For the OP:

Warning - don't count on a suite luncheon. We had none on a 30 day collectors' cruise.

There is a bar set up in the Neptune Suite. Same cost as about the ship.

You can also have hors d'hoeuvres in your room each day (need to be pre-ordered). There is also stationary which will be personalized. You may need to ask your concierge for it if you want it. It's not necessarily automatically supplied.

Many like the coffeemakers in the Neptune Suites. No biggie for us, but the Bose speakers and enhanced Elemis products with the nicer bathrobe is a plus.

When you get to your cabin, there will be a letter from the HD. Do read it as it has the hours of the Neptune Lounge and, will most likely have a suite reception notice in it for your embarkation day.

Enjoy the suite and the suite life and have fun :)

ENJOY!

When did lunch in the Pinnacle Grill at no charge,become available for Neptune Suite passengers?

During all our cruses in Neptune Suites we have never been aware of that "perk".

When did lunch in the Pinnacle Grill at no charge,become available for Neptune Suite passengers?

During all our cruses in Neptune Suites we have never been aware of that "perk".

It's not. Breakfast only in the Pinnacle Grill for Neptune and Pinnacle suite guests.

Why do they put those giant towels on either side of the bed during evening turn down?

We got them on our Vista Suite on the Rotterdam.

The towels are there to rest your feet when you get up at night while you're putting on your slippers.

We went on our first cruise in 1998 in a Neptune Suite and loved it. We did not cruise again until 2015 when we went to Alaska and again in 2016 to Mexico. We would like to cruise more but hubby will not book any other room but a Neptune Suite. We had our first aft wrap for our Mexico cruise and loved it so much we booked an act wrap for our Caribbean cruise next year. I did not find the walk to the Neptune Lounge to be all that long. I love love the coffee machine in the Neptune Lounge and got some a couple of times a day. We love getting on and off the ship as quickly as we do. Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill is wonderful! Same menu as MDR and the same items in the Lido but the pace is more leisurely. Free laundry means we don't have to pack as much, although usually do. Even the lousy bottle of champagne you get tastes better non that awesome balcony, lol. We haven't been invited to any parties with the ships officers since our first cruise sonI am uncertain if that's a given. There is a little party in the Neptune Lounge on embarkation day. The concierges can take care of pretty much anything you ask. You will spoiled for any other cabin!! Enjoy..:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On formal nights, you'll get a box of "designer" chocolates along with the regular little chocolate squares. Suites also have lovely flowers. Our floral arrangement was changed twice during our 7-day cruise.

As someone else pointed out, we stayed in the cabin or on the generous balcony more when we had our NS. Unfortunately, we can't afford that experience every cruise. Next cruise, we're booked for a balcony, but if we get an up-sale suite offer at a bargain, we may take it.

You will be so spoiled. Enjoy!

I once had AC trouble. I called the concierge instead of maintenance. The concierge came to the room and checked the controls then called for me. The problem was resolved promptly and the concierge followed up to make sure we were satisfied. Way better than I expected. A good concierge can make things happen. Don't hesitate to ask for anything you need

I once had AC trouble. I called the concierge instead of maintenance. The concierge came to the room and checked the controls then called for me. The problem was resolved promptly and the concierge followed up to make sure we were satisfied. Way better than I expected. A good concierge can make things happen. Don't hesitate to ask for anything you need

That's a very good point. Our cabin was too hot on the Rotterdam. Asked the concierge what I was doing wrong and she came right down with the thermometer. Called maintenance and it was fixed right away. She returned an hour later to make sure that it was operating properly.

On my last cruise, I asked the concierge for some cardboard. I needed to box up my luggage to ship it to Paris. I had everything I needed - scissors, duct tape, etc.

Instead of pieces of cardboard, there was a box delivered to my stateroom made to measure for my piece of luggage. I was flabbergasted and amazed. And, very thankful ;)

A good concierge can really make your cruise.

Totally agree with Kazu concerning the services of the Concierge. Make full advantage of them. If there is something that you want to do at the Front Desk, the Concierge probably will be able to do it for you without needing to wait in-line at the Front Desk.

Having the hot and cold hors d'oeuvres delivered each late afternoon was something I really enjoyed.

Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill was too "formal" for my taste. I prefer Room Service and with a table/chairs on a large veranda, I really enjoyed that.

I hadn't noticed. Does the steward come into the room after midnight and flip it to "good morning"?

:DLOL! I never noticed the difference either and found the towel on the floor to be a potential safety hazard.:eek:

I shoved it aside when I had such an "amenity".

Totally agree with Kazu concerning the services of the Concierge. Make full advantage of them. If there is something that you want to do at the Front Desk, the Concierge probably will be able to do it for you without needing to wait in-line at the Front Desk.

Having the hot and cold hors d'oeuvres delivered each late afternoon was something I really enjoyed.

Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill was too "formal" for my taste. I prefer Room Service and with a table/chairs on a large veranda, I really enjoyed that.

Agree about the Concierge - most of them on HAL are simply amazing!

As to Pinnacle Breakfast - now they have a couple of items on the menu that are not in the MDR or room service and they were quite good (I cannot remember the items!). Give it another try. Plus, dining there for breakfast you tend to see the same people and sometimes strike up a friendship with them.

"Plus, dining there for breakfast you tend to see the same people and sometimes strike up a friendship with them."

Yes, that can happen.

Roz

My favorite things about staying in a Neptune Suite:

+ More space! This is really the most important to me.

+ Neptune Lounge. As others have said, make the most of it!

+ Free Laundry.

+ Pinnacle Grill Breakfast. Same menu at MDR, but nicer environment, and the waiters will get to know you and your preferences.