Royal Caribbean Reinstates Corkage Fee for Wine Brought Onboard

Very disappointed about this. We were thrilled that we could actually bring our wine to dinner, but alas....So, now if we pour a glass from our own bottles in our cabin is it okay to bring a glass to the dining room? If so, what happens to the glass when empty? Do we take it back to our room, or leave it behind in the dining room? Will we then get fresh glasses? This is only our second cruise (October 2017) so we are newbies and not that much in the know about this sort of thing.

Ask your cabin attendant for replenishment of wine glasses. Ours was more than happy to.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I am alittle confused as what you are saying.

But rcl will hold your wine that was purchased in the MDR for your diner for the next night ,and they will put it on ice for you for the next night. So you do not have to carry it back to your stateroom if you only enjoy a dinner glass of wine if you bought it in the MDR no other fee will apply

All I was saying was that the $20 bottle of wine cost us $60 on Royal. Next time we bring our own.

They did hold our wine and bring it to us since it took us 3 nights to drink the whole bottle.

Could you bring the little Royal Caribbean corkscrew that they give you when you receive a bottle of wine as a gift? Just bring it on the next cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

All I was saying was that the $20 bottle of wine cost us $60 on Royal. Next time we bring our own.

They did hold our wine and bring it to us since it took us 3 nights to drink the whole bottle.

Could you bring the little Royal Caribbean corkscrew that they give you when you receive a bottle of wine as a gift? Just bring it on the next cruise?

Three nights for an opened bottle of wine? It's pretty much oxidized on the 2nd night, but I can't imagine the 3rd?

Right. A corkscrew without the knife is TSA compliant. Mine stays in my suitcase at all times and flies everywhere

Yeah, but -- mine had the roller foil cutters, and I was stopped at Heathrow. They virtually strip searched all my carry on and confiscated it. I almost missed my connection. I never had any issues traveling with it in the U.S.

Yeah, but -- mine had the roller foil cutters, and I was stopped at Heathrow.

TSA approved doesn't really matter outside of the US - they have their own rules.

Biker, who lost his credit card sized TSA approved multi tool in Bridgetown to some zealous security screeners.

Am I disappointed that RCI has instituted this corkage fee? Yes

However, if I were to buy the bottle I wanted with dinner it would still cost more that my own with the corkage fee. I understand the drink package could cover this cost but again it would not be the wine I really like.

Am I disappointed that RCI has instituted this corkage fee? Yes

However, if I were to buy the bottle I wanted with dinner it would still cost more that my own with the corkage fee. I understand the drink package could cover this cost but again it would not be the wine I really like.

I can understand that because even though i am in no way a wine expert the glasses of Prosecco,Sauvignon blanc and Pinot grigio on board our last cruise Freedom 4-11 June were poor quality.

I do drink wine and i ordered the Saint Martins Cabernet and it was not expensive and i thought it was good. I am not a wine expert though and don't pretend to be. This was on a rcl cruise that i ordered this in the MDR Has anyone had this wine? And is this the wine that sometimes gift to you?

What if you brought an open bottle of wine into the dining room? Would they still charge the corkage fee?

Yes they would. They don't care if you open it or not they will still charge. The charge is not for opening the bottle. However;;) they will open the bottle and put it on ice if that is applicable to the type of wine you purchase in the MDR

But if you buy a bottle in the MDR they would not charge you.

What about a corkscrew? Last time I packed one it was confiscated as a "weapon".

I have lost many favorite wine keys, also called "waiter's keys" that are wine openers. Yes it has a tiny (almost a joke of a knife), but TSA will confiscate it if they see it in your carry on.

I have since learned to be sure to take the key out of my carry on bag and put into the checked bag when we fly.

No problems having wine key in carry on bag at the cruise terminal.

The bottle we had was $60.00 plus a $10.00 "service fee" (gratuity) so $70 for a $20 bottle of wine from Bev Mo! Highway robbery. We only got it because we had a nice OBC. Next time we bring our own.

Actually a fair markup, IMO. 2-3x retail is fine (although the gratuity is about double the tax in CA), but I've seen some of the wines you can get at Bev Mo! or Total Wines for $10 marked up to $40-50. THAT is highway robbery, IMO.

Actually a fair markup, IMO. 2-3x retail is fine (although the gratuity is about double the tax in CA), but I've seen some of the wines you can get at Bev Mo! or Total Wines for $10 marked up to $40-50. THAT is highway robbery, IMO.

I worked in the wine business as rep to land based restaurants for 12 years. It is quite common at 3-3.5 times mark up for a bottle of wine (even more for theme parks like Disney). Biggest mark up is when you figure what they get selling per glass. Big money maker for them, so it is not unusual for restaurants at sea to charge that much.

• 3 weeks later...
Honestly I prefer this type of fee vs increased cruise rates. There has to be some way those who work the ship get an annual pay raise. If this helps not increase prices more, ok.

I doubt that re-introducing a corkage fee for wine brought on board will keep the cruise fare down.