Cocktail Sweet & Sour Mixes

IF tightly sealed "air tight lid", fresh juice can last three days - otherwise it may last only 24 hours. It can be frozen for much longer (wondering where they can store several gallons of fresh squeezed juice every day in each bar). Based on some quick research on there web:

The "beneficial effect of juices may dissipate minutes after they are made".

Further, "The minute you juice produce, the cell walls of the product break open, providing the nutrients. Many of these nutrients are very sensitive to air, light and time and will cause their degeneration".

"Just do it" sounds good but nothing on a cruise ship is that easy. The first step would be learning what the requirements are for storing such a product on a cruise ship. Not sure if anyone has noticed that most bartenders that begin their shift smell each of the containers of juice/mix, etc. As with food, each container needs to have a date and time and they go "off" quickly.

While an interesting topic to discuss, this is something that Regent would need to decide. This reminds me of the "coffee" threads of last year that seemed to go on and on. Now, around a year later, people are no longer complaining and the coffee has not changed - still using the same brand and blend. I suspect that the same will be true of this subject.

P,S, In terms us the chef's using fresh ingredients, I am sure that this is their goal. However, it is obviously not possible. They must cook with ingredients that have preservatives. Soy sauce has preservatives, mayonnaise has preservatives, ketchup has high fructose corn syrup and the list goes on and on. There is a trend towards serving fresh products. Time will tell. There will likely need to be change how products are shipped and the shelf life will be short which will cause food to become more expensive and the waste (especially in restaurants, hotels and cruise ships) will be much greater which will raise the prices considerably.

Edited by Travelcat2

I realize I'm taking the bait, but I would prefer frozen juice over sweet and sour mix. I can buy pints of fresh squeezed lime and lemon juice at our farmers market and I freeze it in ice cube trays. It works very well for cocktails. Regent can do the same. I'm not anti preservatives as your response suggests, just anti sweet and sour mix. I don't like cocktails made with something that smells like a product to use to clean the toilet.

I realize I'm taking the bait, but I would prefer frozen juice over sweet and sour mix. I can buy pints of fresh squeezed lime and lemon juice at our farmers market and I freeze it in ice cube trays. It works very well for cocktails. Regent can do the same. I'm not anti preservatives as your response suggests, just anti sweet and sour mix. I don't like cocktails made with something that smells like a product to use to clean the toilet.

Have the "cocktails made with something that smells like a product to use to clean the toilet" been you experience on Regent? If that were the case, I would not be cruising on Regent.

I will look into this further when we are on the Mariner at the end of August. Had this been an issue before (in the last 13 years or so), I would have checked it out. I still wonder where the multi-gallons of frozen juice would be stored but perhaps there is an answer to that.

Come on everyone, most places that don't serve fresh juice has nothing to do with storage - the only driver is money. Fresh juice is expensive.

Agree in terms of "most places" but ships have very limited storage and many times need to have enough food for the entire ship for 5 days without being able to stop for new supplies (thinking of both transatlantic cruises as well as the Amazon where the ship cannot even take on water for days.) Also, when in Brazil, obtaining food that meets Regent requirements is quite the challenge (I learned this on our last cruise that spend several days in Brazil). A lot of food was rejected and lemons were not available at all. So, at least in Brazil, fresh "anything" is a challenge.

IMO, the issue isn't money as much as it other things related to fresh juice. Still, if Regent were to put an effort into having more fresh goods onboard, it would be costly and the fares would likely go up even higher. For me, I would rather have drinks without "sweet and sour" than pay more to cruise on Regent. Some of the 2018/2019 fares are so high that it blows me away. While I do not want to see cutbacks, I also do not want to see Regent paying more money for something that has been "satisfactory" (if not "good") for as long as we have been cruising Regent/Radisson.

While I do not know the answer, the first thing that comes to mind is the stability of fresh juices without preservatives on a cruise ship. OTOH, they do have fresh orange juice on the pool deck in the morning. I wonder if other luxury cruise lines use fresh lemons and limes in their cocktails. Also, can you imagine how many gallons of juice would need to be squeezed each day to make drinks? I know that when we requested Sangria for a Meet and Greet, they used fresh fruit and had to prepare it at least a day in advance (and this was for only 50 or so passengers). BTW, it was the best Sangria that I have ever tasted!

It is a good point. Perhaps someone that is familiar with storing fresh fruit on a cruise ship will chime in. IMO, having enough fresh juice for 500-700 passengers each day is simply too labor intensive.

Crystal uses fresh squeezed juices in their handcrafted cocktails......they use a muddler when adding berries, sugar, spices, herbs (mint) etc. in your drink. Crystal wins hands down with their specialty/handcrafted cocktails compared to Regent.

Plus on our last cruise in May on the Serenity....we took along our eight year old granddaughter and every night she would order a fruity mocktail that was freshly muddled with different fruits such as strawberries or raspberries.

Plus the rims of the glasses on their specialty drinks were dipped in sugar and cinnamon.

Crystal uses fresh squeezed juices in their handcrafted cocktails......they use a muddler when adding berries, sugar, spices, herbs (mint) etc. in your drink. Crystal wins hands down with their specialty/handcrafted cocktails compared to Regent.

Plus on our last cruise in May on the Serenity....we took along our eight year old granddaughter and every night she would order a fruity mocktail that was freshly muddled with different fruits such as strawberries or raspberries.

Plus the rims of the glasses on their specialty drinks were dipped in sugar and cinnamon.

This has been brought up previously but comparing Regent to another cruise line is, IMO, off topic so I will resist the urge to respond.

Informed information regarding bar practice on other cruise lines is very useful on this thread and is certainly not off-topic (IMO)

If another luxury line can manage to prepare drinks with fresh citrus and other fruits, then all arguments suggesting lame excuses as to why Regent cannot be bothered to make this the normal practice for bar staff go out the window

Informed information regarding bar practice on other cruise lines is very useful on this thread and is certainly not off-topic (IMO)

If another luxury line can manage to prepare drinks with fresh citrus and other fruits, then all arguments suggesting lame excuses as to why Regent cannot be bothered to make this the normal practice for bar staff go out the window

++++

Bottom line is that we don't know the reason why Regent does not use fresh fruit, but we do know that we want them to.

+1

Not just citrus; fresh mint for Mojitos too.

Marc

I have had a Mojito made with fresh mint on Regent. I have them make it without the syrup. Heck, mint grows so well (it is currently taking over my flower beds), you could probably easily grow it on the ship for a self replenishing supply.

If anyone wants to come over to my house for mojitos with fresh mint, come on. I have plenty!

This has been brought up previously but comparing Regent to another cruise line is, IMO, off topic so I will resist the urge to respond.

This is not off topic IMHO. Why not know what other luxury lines are doing. We have many cruises on Regent and Crystal and yes Crystal does have juicers at all the bars with bowls of fresh fruit and blenders for the foo foo drinks all made from scratch. We have only had fresh OJ on Regent never asked for anything fancy. I wanted fresh grapefruit juice at breakfast and they had none but they did have grapefruit go figure. Seabourn had fresh juice when we last sailed them. I can't remember Silversea except they made the best Bloody Mary from scratch not a mixer like you would find in the store.

This is not off topic IMHO. Why not know what other luxury lines are doing. We have many cruises on Regent and Crystal and yes Crystal does have juicers at all the bars with bowls of fresh fruit and blenders for the foo foo drinks all made from scratch. We have only had fresh OJ on Regent never asked for anything fancy. I wanted fresh grapefruit juice at breakfast and they had none but they did have grapefruit go figure. Seabourn had fresh juice when we last sailed them. I can't remember Silversea except they made the best Bloody Mary from scratch not a mixer like you would find in the store.

There was a very valid reason for posting what I did but, unfortunately, I cannot explain (rules are rules). In terms of Crystal, the handful of posters on this thread that feel that this is such an important issue might want to try another luxury line. You can get "foo foo drinks" and small cabins. We all have our priorities!

BTW, you can get any fresh fruit drinks that you want at the Pool Grill during breakfast.

There was a very valid reason for posting what I did but, unfortunately, I cannot explain (rules are rules). In terms of Crystal, the handful of posters on this thread that feel that this is such an important issue might want to try another luxury line. You can get "foo foo drinks" and small cabins. We all have our priorities!

BTW, you can get any fresh fruit drinks that you want at the Pool Grill during breakfast.

With all due respect, TC, all of us, including Regent can strive for improvement. Please stop suggesting that we move along to another cruise line if we have suggestions that enhances our cruise experience.

I have been a lurker for years and we are Titanium and have refrained from posting here because I feel I will get bashed giving my opinion by some posters and being told by a non-moderator I am off topic. Other people like me who lurk or contribute occasionally feel the same way.

Opinions should be welcomed even if you disagree but not telling people they are off topic.

Flossie, you are one of my favorite reads on here with balanced comments.

With all due respect, TC, all of us, including Regent can strive for improvement. Please stop suggesting that we move along to another cruise line if we have suggestions that enhances our cruise experience.

`

With all due respect, we can suggest anything that we want to as long as it is cruise related and on topic. IMO, this thread has demands as well as suggestions. And, if someone disagrees with the majority of people, it is somehow looked upon as a bad thing. My responses to this topic were thought out and I did research to back my comments. To keep arguing makes no sense. You know my thoughts and my reasoning (including the fact that I do like fresh juice). Would I consider fresh juice in the bars an improvement? Yes, but I do not think it will happen (especially not based on the posts of a handful of people). Unless and until Regent customers on the ships request fresh juice in their cocktails, things will likely remain status quo.

P.S. For years posters suggested that I try other luxury cruise lines. So, I listened and did. When I returned to Regent, I appreciated it more than ever and have no desire to stray again (with or without fresh juice).

I'm not a cocktail drinker (not much of a drinker at all really ;p ) but would like to add my two penneth worth if I may. Regent advertises itself as a 6 Star all inclusive Luxury Cruise Line and charges top dollar for the privilege. As far as I am concerned using packs of mixes as either a short cut or a cost cutting exercise belittles the ships good name and lets us passengers down who one way or another have paid good money for a 6 star experience. I also would not expect in anyway it should have any impact on the price of the cruise.

To tell others that you can get handcrafted/specialty cocktails (or in your words "foo foo" drinks) and small cabins on Crystal is not being truthful.

We were on the Mariner last May in a Penthouse A suite and on the Crystal Serenity last month in a Penthouse Suite. The Penthouse Suite on Crystal was a little bigger and better laid out. Plus the bathroom on the Serenity was great compared to the bathroom on the Mariner which badly needed updating. The bathroom on the Crystal Serenity had double sinks, a separate shower, a jacuzzi tub and a separate area with a door for the toilet and bidet. So I am comparing apples to apples and Crystal (Symphony and Serenity) wins over the Mariner's bathrooms in the Penthouse A. The only thing that Mariner had over Crystal was the Hermes bath products which my husband loved but from my understanding they do not offer them this year.

On another thread about the Voyager......someone mentioned that bar service on the pool deck was not great. On Crystal.....there are servers coming around the pool deck all the time asking you what you would like to drink. We found the service on both the Crystal ships to be a step above Regent.

I am no cheerleader for any cruise line but do not like it when someone posts misinformation about a cruise line that they have never sailed.

The direction of some of these threads is a wee bit predictable. Someone doesn’t like something about Regent. Someone pops in to defend Regent. The defenses are guesses because Regent remains mum.

In this thread we learn that Regent can’t provide fresh juices for any number of reasons, including “research” that says fresh juice begins to deteriorate in quality immediately after being squeezed. What this “research” has to do with why Regent can’t have fresh juice is difficult for me to follow.

Then someone points out that other cruises lines manage to do what Regent can’t possibly do. Then someone has to respond by reiterating that if you don’t like what Regent provides, maybe you should go on another cruise line. Eventually, someone will complain about how these threads critical of Regent go on and on and/or are unfair to Regent. That will stir me to point out why some of these threads go on and on and how they could be easily stopped from going on and on.

Ultimately the thread will get shut down because someone can’t resist posting something that stirs someone to poke someone in the eye.

In the meantime, Regent’s communication and marketing division will not deem it worthy to post any response on CC or say anything elsewhere to quell the complaints, as any competent marketing division would do in the 21st century.

Or maybe Regent’s communication division is considering sending a 16th century rider and horse forth from Miami to spread the news about when, where, and how one can get fresh juice on Regent. So in the meantime I will continue looking to the horizon hoping to see the galloping steed and rider bringing me the very latest news.

Juli - this is now really off topic. However, comparing a PH suite on Crystal to a regular suite on Mariner brings up a ton of issues which I will not go into on this thread. Suffice it to say that anyone can look at the price of a Crystal PH suite and compare it to the price of a suite on Mariner (even Mariner's large PH suites) and Regent customers will likely be blown away by the price of the Crystal PH suite. (Note: It would be helpful if posters compared similar itineraries). The small suite sizes on Crystal is a fact - not someone's opinion.

This is one of many reasons why it is best to discuss Regent and not make comparisons. Trying to say this the nicest way possible. Posters from Crystal come over to Regent to advertise/defend(?) their favorite line. Interestingly, Regent customers do not do this. All of the luxury cruise lines are different and attract different customers.

In terms of opinions, that is all my posts are (unless stated otherwise) - just my opinion. Most of the time "debates" (vs. arguments) are helpful as it is good to get all sides of an issue. Debates help most of us. You (the poster) will what they want from the debates. However. no one should expect to change someone else's mind. Debating (as done in high school and college) is not a bad thing.

The direction of some of these threads is a wee bit predictable. Someone doesn’t like something about Regent. Someone pops in to defend Regent. The defenses are guesses because Regent remains mum.

In this thread we learn that Regent can’t provide fresh juices for any number of reasons, including “research” that says fresh juice begins to deteriorate in quality immediately after being squeezed. What this “research” has to do with why Regent can’t have fresh juice is difficult for me to follow.

Then someone points out that other cruises lines manage to do what Regent can’t possibly do. Then someone has to respond by reiterating that if you don’t like what Regent provides, maybe you should go on another cruise line. Eventually, someone will complain about how these threads critical of Regent go on and on and/or are unfair to Regent. That will stir me to point out why some of these threads go on and on and how they could be easily stopped from going on and on.

Ultimately the thread will get shut down because someone can’t resist posting something that stirs someone to poke someone in the eye.

In the meantime, Regent’s communication and marketing division will not deem it worthy to post any response on CC or say anything elsewhere to quell the complaints, as any competent marketing division would do in the 21st century.

Or maybe Regent’s communication division is considering sending a 16th century rider and horse forth from Miami to spread the news about when, where, and how one can get fresh juice on Regent. So in the meantime I will continue looking to the horizon hoping to see the galloping steed and rider bringing me the very latest news.

As someone who reads this board regularly in order to try to learn more about Regent before I go ahead and book my first Regent cruise, I must say that what you've written here is a very well articulated version of what I've just been thinking.

Juli and I have sailed Regent and Crystal and probably will again

given the right itinerary. I think we are entitled to make our comparisons regarding any luxury line. For us, we have sailed all of them unlike TravelCat. Regent has many pluses and Crystal and Seabourn have theirs as well.

This is Cruise Critic for Pete sake. If people want to see something on Regent that other lines have they have every right to express their opinion without retaliation from posters.

I actually resent being told that this subject is way off topic. Dang we are still talking about fresh juice. Is this not the topic?

I want my Mojito with fresh juice made from scratch. If Crystal and Seabourn can do this Regent certainly can and btw fresh juice can last a few days and if the bars all had juicers it take a minute to do not all day.

TravelCat, please allow people to express themselves it's their board to and their cruise line. So if they see something they want changed it does not matter what you think. Comments should be made here and comments whilst onboard as well. Cheers

As someone who reads this board regularly in order to try to learn more about Regent before I go ahead and book my first Regent cruise, I must say that what you've written here is a very well articulated version of what I've just been thinking.

I also agree. A very articulated post indeed.