Meclizine and alcohol?

indygirl99

I am looking for real peoples experiences please. And yes I have already spoke with my doctor who suggested I ask for real experiences.

Way back when I was a brand new nurse we used Antivert/Meclizine to help alcoholics deal with some of the side effects of quitting cold turkey. One of the cautions we always gave them was to NOT drink alcohol as the medicine would make them violently ill/nauseous. And I would see the effects first hand when a family member would smuggle in some beer.

That was almost 40 years ago and I have worked in the baby world for over 30 years now and don't have reason to use meclizine in my current practice. Not much call for sea sickness meds or alcoholics in the baby world. :eek:

I don't really drink that much, maybe 2-3 times a year but would like to enjoy a glass or two of wine during my upcoming cruise.

I can't use the patch because I have a latex allergy and the patch is not latex free.

So for those of you that use Meclizine/Bonnie do you have any effects having a cocktail/wine/beer?

Very interesting. DW has been taking Meclizine for many years, when on our cruises (and we have cruised over 1200 days_ and even on land where she has used it to deal with a Vertigo issue (which has now been resolved). DW also likes her adult beverages and has never had a problem mixing Meclizine and alcohol. Personally, I also sometimes use Meclizine on our cruises....if it gets pretty rough or if I am having a rare queasy feeling. I have never had an issue with alcohol causing a problem with Meclizine...other then perhaps making me a bit drowsy.

I do recall a drug that was used to make alcoholics violently ill, but it was not Meclizine. The drug Antibuse (Disulfiram) comes to mind. But this is not even close to Meclizine.. as a drug. But I am now wondering if you are simply confusing Antivert (another brand name for Meclizine) with Antibuse!

Hank

My wife is very susceptible to all types of motion sickness & has used meclizine on all of our cruises since the patch created side affects for her. Each night during a cruise she has a glass or two of wine at dinner & has never had any adverse affects by combining meclizine & wine. Like you at home she rarely drinks any alcohol.

Once in awhile she may experience some slight drowsiness but she takes it before going to bed & in the morning. Based on what I've read, meclizine is an antihistamine which can cause some drowsiness.

Meclizine has allowed her to enjoy dozens of cruises & it works great for her.

Very interesting. DW has been taking Meclizine for many years, when on our cruises (and we have cruised over 1200 days_ and even on land where she has used it to deal with a Vertigo issue (which has now been resolved). DW also likes her adult beverages and has never had a problem mixing Meclizine and alcohol. Personally, I also sometimes use Meclizine on our cruises....if it gets pretty rough or if I am having a rare queasy feeling. I have never had an issue with alcohol causing a problem with Meclizine...other then perhaps making me a bit drowsy.

I do recall a drug that was used to make alcoholics violently ill, but it was not Meclizine. The drug Antibuse (Disulfiram) comes to mind. But this is not even close to Meclizine.. as a drug. But I am now wondering if you are simply confusing Antivert (another brand name for Meclizine) with Antibuse!

Hank

I think you may be right. Like I said I have been out of the adult world for 30 years. Gotta love those sweet babies.

I went and looked up Antabuse and had a flashback to my early nursing years and realized why I thought the dose was off. 25 mg versus 250 mg My brain was confused.

Yeah now I can have a glass of wine and not worry and maybe sleep like my babies. :halo:

If we ever sail on the same cruise remind me I owe you a drink. :whiskey-glass:

I take a Meclizine pill ever night before going to bed while cruising and drink the next day and never had any issues. Tried to not take a few times and got sick. So for me no issues and plan the same on next cruise and beyond

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think you may be right. Like I said I have been out of the adult world for 30 years. Gotta love those sweet babies.

I went and looked up Antabuse and had a flashback to my early nursing years and realized why I thought the dose was off. 25 mg versus 250 mg My brain was confused.

Yeah now I can have a glass of wine and not worry and maybe sleep like my babies. :halo:

If we ever sail on the same cruise remind me I owe you a drink. :whiskey-glass:

I love it that you aren't at at all arrogant or abusive in your response. I agree that you probably made a logical mistake and I love it that you aren't attacking the one who pointed out the possible error. Using Meclizine with Alcohol is much like using many other drugs that are "not recommended" to be used in conjunction. Congratulations on being, not only a rational human being, but also a wise human being. :cool:

I carry a few meclizine chewable tabs. As soon as I feel motion which may cause sea sickness I take one. In really heavy seas, I take two. Most days I don't need any meclizine. One or two pills are good for 24 hours. Never had any issue with alcoholic drinks in moderation.

I am looking for real peoples experiences please. And yes I have already spoke with my doctor who suggested I ask for real experiences.

Way back when I was a brand new nurse we used Antivert/Meclizine to help alcoholics deal with some of the side effects of quitting cold turkey. One of the cautions we always gave them was to NOT drink alcohol as the medicine would make them violently ill/nauseous. And I would see the effects first hand when a family member would smuggle in some beer.

That was almost 40 years ago and I have worked in the baby world for over 30 years now and don't have reason to use meclizine in my current practice. Not much call for sea sickness meds or alcoholics in the baby world. :eek:

I don't really drink that much, maybe 2-3 times a year but would like to enjoy a glass or two of wine during my upcoming cruise.

I can't use the patch because I have a latex allergy and the patch is not latex free.

:halo:We were in an aft suite (rock and roll ) on the Emerald last year and I had a touch of sea sickness so purchased some Meclizine hydrochloride Antiemetic from the on board shop under the trade name Bonine. This worked a treat. Thanks to this board when DW next has a attack of vertigo we will try Bonine, hope it may work.:halo:

:halo:We were in an aft suite (rock and roll ) on the Emerald last year and I had a touch of sea sickness so purchased some Meclizine hydrochloride Antiemetic from the on board shop under the trade name Bonine. This worked a treat. Thanks to this board when DW next has a attack of vertigo we will try Bonine, hope it may work.:halo:

You might want to consider purchasing the generic version of Bonine in advance...meclizine. As I recall seeing in the gift shop, Bonine was nearly $1 per tablet & when purchasing meclizine at home it was a few pennies per tablet. That's better for my wife who gets all types of motion sickness. ;)

Back in the day, you use to be able to go to passenger services and they would if you wanted, give you a tiny envelope with the chewables in it. Really never heard any recommendations about refraining from alcohol, etc... Then, one night at dinner, actually formal night, a woman got up from the table next to ours and suddenly, BLAM! She hit our table with her head on the way to the ground. She had been taking the aforementioned medicine and drinking wine with dinner and passed out. She hit the our table so hard on her way down that half of the beverages on our table went flying as well. Thus, I have seen first hand what effects are possible mixing alcohol with that drug.

I took one before a Whale watching tour and later that evening had some cocktails. Just know that if you add a lot of sun to the mix (Vit D) you might be already a bit sleepy. lol I was thinking of trying out the patch, but read you should not drink with that either. So, not sure what I am going to try for the cruise yet. We have an aft balcony and heard it could be a little more bumpy.

I love it that you aren't at at all arrogant or abusive in your response. I agree that you probably made a logical mistake and I love it that you aren't attacking the one who pointed out the possible error. Using Meclizine with Alcohol is much like using many other drugs that are "not recommended" to be used in conjunction. Congratulations on being, not only a rational human being, but also a wise human being. :cool:

Thrak

Thanks for the kind words. I try to admit when I am misguided or plain out wrong. Sometimes I miss the mark, most times I appreciate the redirection.

I am just glad that Hank was reading and able to point out the difference so quickly as I really was bummed to not be able to try out Vines.

I also appreciate everyone else checking in saying that they have had no problems other than some sleepiness. Being a little sleepy I can handle extreme nausea not so much.

I took one before a Whale watching tour and later that evening had some cocktails. Just know that if you add a lot of sun to the mix (Vit D) you might be already a bit sleepy. lol I was thinking of trying out the patch, but read you should not drink with that either. So, not sure what I am going to try for the cruise yet. We have an aft balcony and heard it could be a little more bumpy.

Without my patch I simply could not cruise. Ever. I get sick on winding roads if I'm not the driver so you can imagine what the sea does to me. I would spend the entire cruise wishing to die. I realize it is "recommended" that one not drink while using the patch but it certainly doesn't stop me and I don't seem to have a problem with it. :p

If you feel like you may need some sea sickness medication, try ginger tablets to calm down your stomach. I used to dose up my young boys with them and they never got sick. Admittedly, they maybe wouldn't have gotten sick anyway. When I see the barf bags being put out, I take a couple and I've never had any problems while I have seen others have problems. Again, don't know if it is the ginger tablets or I just have a strong constitution towards sea sickness. However, it doesn't hurt to give it a try as a preventive measure before resorting to stronger stuff. I've, also, heard green apples will calm the stomach.

I use meclizine daily. Drink sporadically but never have ill effects that I know of. Question, are you sure you're not thinking of metronidazole? I'm fairly certain that does make you sick if you drink. Sounds kind of the same....just asking from the animal side.

I use meclizine daily. Drink sporadically but never have ill effects that I know of. Question, are you sure you're not thinking of metronidazole? I'm fairly certain that does make you sick if you drink. Sounds kind of the same....just asking from the animal side.

Hey VET

Hank pointed out Antabuse and when going to research I'm sure that is what I had it confused with.

Give a kitty an extra hug for me today. I miss my kitty.

Missed that. And I don't think we have that med on my side.

No problem on kitty hugs. I've currently got 2 of 4 on the bed with me. [emoji74]

My 2cents - Bonine doesn't make me tired like Dramamine does and I do drink after I've chewed the nasty tasting pill.

My wife says the same thing because both of them have different ingredients.

"Dramamine" is Dimenhydrinate and "Dramamine All Day Less Drowsy" is Meclizine...the same ingredient as in Bonine which is less drowsy than Dramamine.

I an an ER nurse, we did a recent cruise to Hawaii. Really rough seas going out. We both used scopolamine, and meclizine and had plenty of cocktails with no problems. Yes it might make you a little more tired, but other than that worked like a charm.

My wife and I live in Canada and always used to take Bonine, until it was no longer available under that trade name. We are able to buy generic Meclizine when crossing the US border. We always start taking the Meclizine the night before we leave on a cruise, whether we need it or not, just to get it into our system, just in case. After over 19 cruises, and some pretty rough sea days we have never suffered from sea sickness. We each take 1 pill at bedtime, and I like a drink or 2, and have never suffered any adverse effects with Meclizine.

To reinforce the answers already provided... I too take a generic bonine daily and drink while doing so. I do find that I often feel tired and a tad bit drowsy, but think it is a combination of sun, ocean movement, the medication, a few cocktails... it's my escape completely feeling:D... true relaxation