Jewelry

Stella1250

Hi everyone. I hear a lot of people talking about packing on the boards, especially how they pack their jewelry. I am wondering, how many people take their real stuff as opposed to costume?

I usually wear only what I wear everyday, such as wedding rings etc., and bring nothing else. I do not have costume jewelry, so would have to bring the real stuff if I wanted anything more. I am wondering what everyone thinks of this subject. Do you bring only costume or not? Thanks in advance.

My wife brings the real stuff. Where better to wear some of her nicer jewelry than on a cruise. She has a jewelry roll that is always with us in our carry on and never out of our sight or control when traveling. On the ship it goes into the safe. Off the ship in ports or on tours she wears very little jewelry and even goes with just a wedding band instead of her full set.

I have some pretty gemstone pieces that I bring with me for gala nights - I also bring a variety of lightweight costume earrings, necklaces and bracelets so I can wear them either in port or for casual days and nights on the ship. When I'm not wearing the "good" jewelry, it stays in the cabin safe.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I bring the real stuff and like Randyk47 said, I keep it with me at all times while traveling and put it in the safe on the ship. I wear my wedding band and diamond everywhere. All of my jewelry is insured under my homeowners insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife brings the real stuff. Where better to wear some of her nicer jewelry than on a cruise. She has a jewelry roll that is always with us in our carry on and never out of our sight or control when traveling. On the ship it goes into the safe. Off the ship in ports or on tours she wears very little jewelry and even goes with just a wedding band instead of her full set.

Same here. I do also bring costume jewelry, as I have a lot of handmade unusual pieces that are fun to wear.

Going ashore, if I have any qualms about the port, the only jewelry I wear is my wedding ring, earrings (cheap costume), and my watch. I never wear a necklace, even costume, because it could get tangled in my camera strap. And if somebody needs my $20 Timex that badly, they can have it. (I can replace it with something ugly for $10 on the ship ;p)

Excellent answer Randy!

This, quite literally, would be what I would have written. The only difference being that her wedding rings get left behind in a more dangerous port or if we're doing an active excursion.

I have a motto: Pack like you'll never see it again!

Things can get lost or stolen, though not likely on the ship. I like to bring some of my nicer jewelry to enjoy on the cruise, though they may not be as expensive or as extravagant as someone else's jewelry collection, along with inexpensive pieces that I mostly have acquired on travels, but I recognize that in doing so there is some risk. The value from any insurance isn't the important part to me, it's the sentiment attached that is important. So I accept that if something gets lost, at least I enjoyed using it.

As others said, in ports I wear nothing to attract attention and possibly even endanger me. On the ship, it's in the room safe. While flying, it's with me, never in checked bags. Hotels, some have safes, some are a bit of a risk so if we are staying a few days somewhere and there is no room safe, I keep a suitcase locked in the room just to make it harder for someone to be tempted.

At home I don't have much reason to wear fancy things, so a cruise an excellent opportunity for me to enjoy the finer things in life, a few pieces of jewelry being among those.

Enjoy, m--

I am cruising the Norweigen Fjords, so I don't think there will be any dicey places. After, we have a week in Amsterdam. I think I will bring a few pieces, and leave the rest home. Thanks everyone!:cool:

I have several lovely pieces of good jewelry, and they like to go out and have fun, too. So, they all come cruising with me, and are all worn in the evenings.

There's not much point in having them if I'm not going to wear & enjoy them.

Daytime jewelry is minimal, decent, costume jewelry, so that's what I wear in port, and around the ship.

My home has been broken into more than once, so I don't consider leaving expensive jewelry there when I go away to be a safe option at all.

There is no point in having the "real stuff" if you don't wear it! Of course, don't wear you "crown jewels" to the beach, but on the ship, why not? It's like having nice silverware and crystal, and keeping it for some undetermined "special occasion"! Wear your stuff!

My wife leaves the "real stuff" at home. Given the sentimental and financial value of her jewelry, she does not feel comfortable wearing the "real stuff" while on a cruise vacation. The elevated risks with theft and loss creates too much anxiety and uncertainty. Hence, she feels better leaving expensive jewelry at home. The only exceptions are her wedding rings.

I've taken some of my small nice pieces, and also costume jewelry. When traveling alone I have an inexpensive, plain, large wedding band I wear in place of my diamond set. It gets the message across: not wealthy, and very taken.

I take a combination of real and costume jewellery. It travels with me in a carry on at all times and is always kept locked in the hotel or ship safe.

If we are going ashore in a poor area I take all bling off except my wedding ring and watch. It's a combination of wanting to be safe by not attracting attention and not wanting to flaunt.

It really depends on your comfort level. I just cannot be bothered with the worry while traveling so the good stuff stays at home in the safe. Other people just don't get that stressed about it and good for them, I wish I was more like that. But I am a worrier by nature, so there you go. No matter what, you'll have fun and that is the main thing!

This is exactly what I do. Only difference -- in ports that are a little iffy, we leave our wedding rings in the safe. DH doesn't wear a watch and I wear ashore a cheap $10 watch a got years ago at JCPenney.

A travel agent once said," If it will cause you heartache to lose it, don't bring it!" On the Zaandam formal night years ago as everyone was waving their napkins for the "Parade of Baked Alaskas," a woman at the table next to us lost her bracelet. Very upset lady with people all around looking for the flying bracelet. Don't know if it was located.

I am very careful to leave the good pieces in the bank safe deposit box and take a minimum amount of jewelry. as a previous poster said, it is one less thing to worry about. Ashore I leave things in the safe on the ship.

Karen

Edited by Loreto
added info

A travel agent once said," If it will cause you heartache to loose it, don't bring it!" On the Zaandam formal night years ago as everyone was waving their napkins for the "Parade of Baked Alaskas," a woman at the table next to us lost her bracelet. Very upset lady with people all around looking for the flying bracelet. Don't know if it was located. I am very careful to leave the good pieces in the bank safe deposit box and take a minimum amount of jewelry. as a previous poster said, it is one less thing to worry about. Ashore I leave things in the safe on the ship. Karen

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I travel with everything....antique, cosmetic and very valuable.....I have never used a HAL safe and I have never had a problem...not telling anyone what to do, just saying on the 30 HAL sailings I have been fortunate enough to travel, I have never had a missing item (of any value) from my room. Again, my choice!

I travel with everything....antique, cosmetic and very valuable.....I have never used a HAL safe and I have never had a problem...not telling anyone what to do, just saying on the 30 HAL sailings I have been fortunate enough to travel, I have never had a missing item (of any value) from my room. Again, my choice!

I have never doubted the honesty of a cabin steward, but I use the safe because if the door is open, someone can come in and pick up anything lying around. Plus, if I'm careful about putting jewelry in the safe, it won't be out where it can fall to the floor and be vacuumed up. (small earrings are easy to lose) I do travel with a small box for an overnight box for anything I'm too lazy to put into the safe at bedtime. That goes into the bedside table.

I am soooo much neater in a ship's cabin than I am at home!!!! :halo: :evilsmile:

I do travel with a small box for an overnight box for anything I'm too lazy to put into the safe at bedtime. That goes into the bedside table.

I am soooo much neater in a ship's cabin than I am at home!!!! :halo: :evilsmile:

That's where ash trays have always come in handy. I generally put my daytime watch, and possibly the earrings for tomorrow, in an ash tray placed in the nightstand drawer. Keeps them confined, but handy in the morning.

Neatness in the cabin is imperative! Such a small space can get messy beyond hope too quickly.

I don't get to wear my good jewelry much at home, so will take it along with some costume jewelry on cruises.. Will not wear my diamond wedding band or engagement ring in port, but have a costume set which I usually wear in ports.. I hand carry my good jewelry & it is stored in the safe on our cruises..