Planning to book Panama Canal

lbfluffy

i asked about Panama Canal cruise on the Panama ports of call. I found an agancy that is offering a sale includes AIBP, gratuities and OBC. I need to make a decision by tomorrow, the end of the sale is tomorrow. We are more than likely going to go for the full transit since that is what many say is the best. We saw the Island 15 days next November. It leaves out of Fort Lauderdale and ends in San Francisco. We live two hours from SF so that would work. My question is this. My TA can get me the balcony obstructed which is either E207 or E208 or for $600 more the BF category. Anyone with thoughts on the obstructed balcony?

Thanks

If you like a balcony, an obstructed will fill the bill.

If you are thinking an unobstructed will enhance the canal transit, be aware that the transit is a 360 degree experience. Being "up on deck" will likely be where you will be to see as much as you can during the transit.

The transit will be HOT, really hot...meaning that you could need to be inside your room to manage the heat. Frankly I would rather be inside the ship in one of the many locations where you can see outside and still be comfortable than limited to your room.

If you like a balcony, an obstructed will fill the bill.

If you are thinking an unobstructed will enhance the canal transit, be aware that the transit is a 360 degree experience. Being "up on deck" will likely be where you will be to see as much as you can during the transit.

The transit will be HOT, really hot...meaning that you could need to be inside your room to manage the heat. Frankly I would rather be inside the ship in one of the many locations where you can see outside and still be comfortable than limited to your room.

Thank you.

i asked about Panama Canal cruise on the Panama ports of call. I found an agancy that is offering a sale includes AIBP, gratuities and OBC. I need to make a decision by tomorrow, the end of the sale is tomorrow.

That's a good deal for the right price! Still waiting for similar perks.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

We just returned from the Coral (Sister ship to the Island) Panama canal cruise. Our friends were in E208. It has a large piece of metal that covers one corner where you have to walk up to the railing to see, It did not bother them as it was so hot they were rarely out there. I was on the Caribe deck with the larger balcony and was very happy. EVERYDAY after Aruba was extremely hot so be prepared. The 15 day is the way to go Enjoy!:cool:

We just returned from the Coral (Sister ship to the Island) Panama canal cruise. Our friends were in E208. It has a large piece of metal that covers one corner where you have to walk up to the railing to see, It did not bother them as it was so hot they were rarely out there. I was on the Caribe deck with the larger balcony and was very happy. EVERYDAY after Aruba was extremely hot so be prepared. The 15 day is the way to go Enjoy!:cool:

What did you think of the Coral?

Thank you. I think that category is sold out now, but they have the dolphin deck available so I'll have to make a quick decision.

I travelled through the Panama Canal on the Island Princess in 2009. This was a relocation cruise beginning in Vancouver, B.C., stopping in San Francisco and then continuing south along the U.S. and Mexico coast lines. Enroute, we enjoyed several sea days of comfortable weather, the most noteworthy were the night time thunder and lightening storms. Fortunately, this cruise offered a two-day Panama experience, including a full-day in Fuerte Amador before transiting the canal to the Atlantic Ocean. Unfortunately, many of the Panama cruises now only provide for a partial transit. The transit itself is remarkable, but it can be warm and humid. In fact, I spent the whole day observing the transit from deck 11 forward. Sadly, though, the on-board Panama Canal narrator was not that well informed or expert, and his descriptions of the canal and its history were somewhat uninspiring, demonstrating a his lack of understanding for the subject. At this time, however, construction of the new neo-panama locks was just beginning. The one-day stop at Panama City did provide the opportunity for supplementary excursions. My wife and I chose to take a small-boat (and I mean small) tour through the three Pacific locks, terminating at Gamboa. In fact, my wife enjoyed the opportunity to touch the wall of one of the locks. If you even wanted to know how it feels to the "Tidy Bowl Man," by all means add this option to your excursion list. The return bus ride back to the ship was equally informative, and gave some insight as to what canal zone property the U.S. turned over to the country of Panama in 1999. In closing, I recommend that any one taking this journey read one of the many Panama Canal histories. Hopefully, too, your cruise will include a knowledgeable narrator.

I am ready to make a return voyage.

I travelled through the Panama Canal on the Island Princess in 2009. This was a relocation cruise beginning in Vancouver, B.C., stopping in San Francisco and then continuing south along the U.S. and Mexico coast lines. Enroute, we enjoyed several sea days of comfortable weather, the most noteworthy were the night time thunder and lightening storms. Fortunately, this cruise offered a two-day Panama experience, including a full-day in Fuerte Amador before transiting the canal to the Atlantic Ocean. Unfortunately, many of the Panama cruises now only provide for a partial transit. The transit itself is remarkable, but it can be warm and humid. In fact, I spent the whole day observing the transit from deck 11 forward. Sadly, though, the on-board Panama Canal narrator was not that well informed or expert, and his descriptions of the canal and its history were somewhat uninspiring, demonstrating a his lack of understanding for the subject. At this time, however, construction of the new neo-panama locks was just beginning. The one-day stop at Panama City did provide the opportunity for supplementary excursions. My wife and I chose to take a small-boat (and I mean small) tour through the three Pacific locks, terminating at Gamboa. In fact, my wife enjoyed the opportunity to touch the wall of one of the locks. If you even wanted to know how it feels to the "Tidy Bowl Man," by all means add this option to your excursion list. The return bus ride back to the ship was equally informative, and gave some insight as to what canal zone property the U.S. turned over to the country of Panama in 1999. In closing, I recommend that any one taking this journey read one of the many Panama Canal histories. Hopefully, too, your cruise will include a knowledgeable narrator.

I am ready to make a return voyage.

Thank you. We may go with a unobstructed balcony.

I noticed an aft balcony on the Baja deck. It's room B741. That looks like it I might be neat to look toward the back.

Consider booking a Guarantee obstructed view balcony to lock in the savings.

We booked the BZ category (Obstructed Balcony) Guarantee because there are only 4 on the entire ship. If we ultimately get the obstructed, well, that's what we paid for. But all other GTYs we've had on previous cruises we were able to get a better category on a part of the ship we want to be.

Don't do it unless you are OK with the OV balcony.

DZ

Consider booking a Guarantee obstructed view balcony to lock in the savings.

We booked the BZ category (Obstructed Balcony) Guarantee because there are only 4 on the entire ship. If we ultimately get the obstructed, well, that's what we paid for. But all other GTYs we've had on previous cruises we were able to get a better category on a part of the ship we want to be.

Don't do it unless you are OK with the OV balcony.

DZ

They said only assigned cabins available

The Coral is a much better ship than the Island. If you can book on the Coral, you'll be much happier as it's less crowded.

I couldn't agree more. We absolutely loved Coral but found Island to be "meh" due to the remodel. We kept heading aft and running out of ship because they turned that whole portion into more cabins. Coral is - to date anyway - my favorite ship and Island my least favorite.

I couldn't agree more. We absolutely loved Coral but found Island to be "meh" due to the remodel. We kept heading aft and running out of ship because they turned that whole portion into more cabins. Coral is - to date anyway - my favorite ship and Island my least favorite.

Thank you. We booked the island since the return is into SF which is closer to us.