Any Dutch or Indonesian Food to be expected on HAL these days?

sandbag7

We are awaiting our first HAL cruise on Noordam (Sydney - Auckland) in February; on the assumption that there will be no major culinary changes between now and then can recent cruisers tell me whether we can expect to see much or any Dutch or Indonesian offerings (other than Satay, which is Pan Asian) in the MDR or elsewhere? I'd dearly love to experience a Ristaafel again, but I expect that's unrealistic.

We are awaiting our first HAL cruise on Noordam (Sydney - Auckland) in February; on the assumption that there will be no major culinary changes between now and then can recent cruisers tell me whether we can expect to see much or any Dutch or Indonesian offerings (other than Satay, which is Pan Asian) in the MDR or elsewhere? I'd dearly love to experience a Ristaafel again, but I expect that's unrealistic.

We had Dutch offerings and Indonesian on HAL. Our most recent cruise was in April, 2017. (30 days on Rotterdam)

I'm not sure of the offerings on short versus longer cruises, but we have had Indonesian buffets on some, a Dutch night with specialty dishes featured and Indonesian items offered in the Lido. (Most recent have been Rotterdam, Westerdam & Prinsendam). I don't recall offerings on our Maasdam cruise which was a 10 day.

We were on the Noordam a couple of weeks ago (Alaska Inner Passage cruise). I don't recall any Dutch or Indonesian items on the MDR menu and if there were, it could not have been more than one or two items over 7 days or I would have remembered them. I never ate dinner in the Lido, so I don't know if they had any special "Dutch" or "Indonesian" nights. And while there was afternoon tea each day, there was not the Royal Dutch Tea or the Indonesian Tea that I recall from other HAL cruises on other HAL ships.

We had Dutch offerings and Indonesian on HAL. Our most recent cruise was in April, 2017. (30 days on Rotterdam)

I'm not sure of the offerings on short versus longer cruises, but we have had Indonesian buffets on some, a Dutch night with specialty dishes featured and Indonesian items offered in the Lido. (Most recent have been Rotterdam, Westerdam & Prinsendam). I don't recall offerings on our Maasdam cruise which was a 10 day.

Thanks; I'm hoping our 17 day cruise will be more like your 30 day cruise in terms of variety.

We were on the Amsterdam recently, and I'm fairly certain that Indonesian dishes were featured one day in the Lido at the Asian station. Didn't partake myself, so I can't comment on the quality, but generally the offerings at the Asian station are pretty good.

On our 21 day Westerdam cruise spring of 2016 the only place the full Indonesian lunch was served was for our Suite luncheon. There were a few offerings at the Asian area in the Lido.

We were on the Eurodam in 2016 where hey used to offer the Ristaafel dinner in the Tamarind at least once each cruise. It has been discontinued,

Bitterballen usually makes an appearance during a cruise, often during a Happy Hour event in the Ocean Bar or Crow's Nest. Nasi Goring sometimes shows up on the Dinner Menu, but more frequently on the Luncheon menu. (Need to check the menus!)

The Asian Corner of the Lido Marketplace during Lunch is a venue that I always check-out before what I wish to try for lunch. Sometimes, what is available does not appeal to me. But, whatever I have ever tried was simply delicious regardless of which Asian cuisine was being featured.

I can still remember the Dutch apple pancakes or Dutch Apple pancakes. I don't know whether they were pancakes made with Dutch apples or whether the were Dutch-style apple pancakes. I just know that I'd book one cruise which had them rather than another which didn't.

The cruise lines have "set" menus...they really don't change much, even if the itinerary changes.

I've heard this said before but it makes no sense if true; doesn't the ship board supplies from local ports? If a ship is in Australian waters wouldn't they serve any fresh fish such as Barramundi? Or do they serve frozen fish to maintain uniformity? And certainly some fruits and vegetables are seasonal - on our latest cruise the ship stopped serving raspberries once we were in the Southern Caribbean and they were no longer available. I hope there are some local variations on the menu depending on the ships location.

On our 21 day Westerdam cruise spring of 2016 the only place the full Indonesian lunch was served was for our Suite luncheon. There were a few offerings at the Asian area in the Lido.

We were on the Eurodam in 2016 where hey used to offer the Ristaafel dinner in the Tamarind at least once each cruise. It has been discontinued,

Sorry to hear that.

Bitterballen usually makes an appearance during a cruise, often during a Happy Hour event in the Ocean Bar or Crow's Nest. Nasi Goring sometimes shows up on the Dinner Menu, but more frequently on the Luncheon menu. (Need to check the menus!)

The Asian Corner of the Lido Marketplace during Lunch is a venue that I always check-out before what I wish to try for lunch. Sometimes, what is available does not appeal to me. But, whatever I have ever tried was simply delicious regardless of which Asian cuisine was being featured.

From what I'm hearing I will have to check out the Lido first thing before deciding on lunch.

I can still remember the Dutch apple pancakes or Dutch Apple pancakes. I don't know whether they were pancakes made with Dutch apples or whether the were Dutch-style apple pancakes. I just know that I'd book one cruise which had them rather than another which didn't.

Can't say for sure but locally for us a Dutch pancake is usually a large but thin pancake served with powdered sugar and/or fruit. An Apple Pancake is a thicker pancake made with apples inside and on top with lots of brown sugar; don't know about a Dutch apple pancake but I'm willing to learn ;p.

I've heard this said before but it makes no sense if true; doesn't the ship board supplies from local ports? If a ship is in Australian waters wouldn't they serve any fresh fish such as Barramundi? Or do they serve frozen fish to maintain uniformity? And certainly some fruits and vegetables are seasonal - on our latest cruise the ship stopped serving raspberries once we were in the Southern Caribbean and they were no longer available. I hope there are some local variations on the menu depending on the ships location.

There are many ports where the cruise lines do not have contracts to buy food supplies. Thus getting getting fresh supplies is can be a problem.

Don;t count on getting fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, etc., in every port.

Last week on the Amsterdam's 14 day Alaska cruise, we asked the dining manager about requesting Nasi Goreng for dinner. He said that on back to back cruises, they offer an Indonesian lunch (we've experienced it, and it's great, but a lot of food for lunch). But, he said hardly ever for dinner, as spicy food isn't as popular. He was able to accommodate us, and we had our Indonesian treat on our last night. So, as recommended above, you can always ask. Sometimes it's easier than other times, but the table stewards will enthusiastically try to get it for you, as they are proud of their heritage. We miss many of the traditions from dining: Dutch night, formal night special menus with flaming baked Alaska, more varied and ethnic dishes and so on...

There are many ports where the cruise lines do not have contracts to buy food supplies. Thus getting getting fresh supplies is can be a problem.

Don;t count on getting fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, etc., in every port.

Logically, when the ship is in the Australia/New Zealand area they will have to bring in fresh supplies at some point (I hope).

Last week on the Amsterdam's 14 day Alaska cruise, we asked the dining manager about requesting Nasi Goreng for dinner. He said that on back to back cruises, they offer an Indonesian lunch (we've experienced it, and it's great, but a lot of food for lunch). But, he said hardly ever for dinner, as spicy food isn't as popular. He was able to accommodate us, and we had our Indonesian treat on our last night. So, as recommended above, you can always ask. Sometimes it's easier than other times, but the table stewards will enthusiastically try to get it for you, as they are proud of their heritage. We miss many of the traditions from dining: Dutch night, formal night special menus with flaming baked Alaska, more varied and ethnic dishes and so on...

I will request this first thing as I'm used to spicy food though I never considered Indonesian food spicy 🌶 in the same manner as some Thai food; rather it is flavorful, but then I favor 🌶 even in my Lobster Diavolo, which tends to be served mild on cruises to assuage American tastes.

As to Baked Alaska and the March of Waiters I was over that before it started - so much show and so little to show for it! Give me a good soufflé over that, but I've had few enough of them at sea over the years.

There is available an Indonesian condiment, Sambal, I think it is call, with different levels of heat. In the MDR, one has to request it; I have seen it on a tray with other condiments in the Lido Restaurant.

It is my experience on long cruises that local produce and some non-produce items are boarded at some ports. HAL is picky, as they should be, as to the quality and source of their stores. I don't know in this age of cost-consciousness that buying what many of us would consider to be "very unique to the itinerary" items is being done, i.e. Filet of Kangaroo when Volendam's 2002 Maiden Asia Pacific Cruise was in Australian waters. I do agree that adding such items to a menu further helps to make that cruise a very "special" one in one's memory/experience.

Way back in the past, in some of the Chilean ports during the early 2002s or so, HAL served FRESH sea food in the South American trips. I especially recall John Mulvaney when he was chef, telling me about the fish he purchased, and what he rejected. He was quite selective and the menus were wonderful which contained the fresh foods bought in port.:):):)

Marianne

Way back in the past, in some of the Chilean ports during the early 2002s or so, HAL served FRESH sea food in the South American trips. I especially recall John Mulvaney when he was chef, telling me about the fish he purchased, and what he rejected. He was quite selective and the menus were wonderful which contained the fresh foods bought in port.:):):)

Marianne

So any sushi served on board is from frozen fish huh? Guess I'll have to get my fill of Fresh fish during the 4 pre-cruise days I'm in Sydney. :confused:

Sandbag,

ANY Sushi you will eat, anywhere in the USA or EU is from previously frozen fish actually. ( unless the restaurant and its chef meets specific and very stringent limitations in some EU areas only) This includes the best restaurants on land.

Marianne

Just a couple years ago, on the Westerdam, fresh sea food was served as well. The chef went shopping on various islands. The fish was featured at the Lido bbq's and also n the MDR.

Just of a 14 day Rotterdam northern Europe.

Only once nasi goreng appeared on the diner menu. Other items were not Indonesian.

Some dutch snacks like kroketten en frikadellen on some days in the Lido lunch.

No barbeque at all