Upgrade offer. Should I take it or not?

dutchiegirl

I just got an offer to upgrade from my Signature Suite (SY category) to a Neptune Suite (SA - SC) for $349pp. First of all, would that same price be for my 15 yo son as well as my DH and myself? Secondly, right now we are in 8048 which is kinda midship but high up. I am a little concerned about my DH's susceptibility to seasickness. Is it a good deal? What do you think, should I take it?

I just got an offer to upgrade from my Signature Suite (SY category) to a Neptune Suite (SA - SC) for $349pp. First of all, would that same price be for my 15 yo son as well as my DH and myself? Secondly, right now we are in 8048 which is kinda midship but high up. I am a little concerned about my DH's susceptibility to seasickness. Is it a good deal? What do you think, should I take it?

Assuming this is for a 7 day cruise, the $349 price is about normal for an upsell (I have seen them mostly in the $199 to $399 range). If you do decide to take it, ask which Neptune cabins are available to you and be sure to have a deck plan handy to refer to when you call them back. You will need to make a decision quickly as these deals often go very fast.

Only you can decide if it is worth it to you. Its a very individual decision, but I generally take it, especially with three in the cabin.

Go with a midship Neptune location - as close to the Neptune lounge as you can get. Your DH should be fine with this. AVOID the aft-wrap cabins as there can be alot more motion.

You don't say how long your cruise is and we usually decide on an up-sell based on the per diem rate, not the over all rate. So if this was a 7 day cruise, that would be about $50 a day per person more. Is what you get with the Neptune up-sell worth this? If your cruise is longer than 7 days, obviously the per diem rate goes down so that makes the offer even more competitive.

Plus the longer the cruise itself, the more extra Neptune suite offerings might be available - special events, luncheons, cocktail parties etc.

The other consideration is how many at-sea days will you have to enjoy the extra Neptune perks esp the wonderful extra cabin and verandah space - the more at-sea days the better return on the investment we think. But if you have a port intensive cruise, this consideration may not matter that much.

Have fun thinking about this. As much talk as their is about cabin location, we personally have never noticed any difference and we have been all over most ships. Generally, Bonine strategically taken has worked if there is any threat of rough seas ahead. (Talk to your doctor about this, of course)

Are you willing to spend an extra grand just to change to a slightly larger cabin and get access to the Neptune Lounge? Only you can answer that (and I'm going on the assumption that the 349pp is for each of the 3 of you). Let us know what you decided, and if the offer was still good when you responded.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I can tell you that we paid $299pp for two ($598 total) to upgrade from an SS to a Neptune on the 10-night Zuiderdam Sunfarer in March...and we thought it was worth every penny.

Of course, as another pointed out...look at your per-day cost. For us it was $60/day and the perks we got were worth it to us. The HUGE balcony was used a lot, and we loved having the regular dining table and chairs out there to enjoy room service breakfast.

We also took advantage of the afternoon snacks in the Neptune to enjoy on our balcony. We sent laundry out every single day and came home with nearly all clean clothes. The Neptune concierge was so easily accessible that we never had to wait to get a question answered, and he gladly printed out my airline boarding passes as the cruise wound down to the end. (there is a printer in the Lounge that passengers can use, but someone was using it and he didn't want me to have to wait. :) )

Let me also add this...when I first told my husband that I'd spent the $600 to upgrade he was very skeptical and didn't think it would be worth it. It took him all of two hours inside the suite to decide "yes...this upgrade was a great idea".

Assuming this is for a 7 day cruise, the $349 price is about normal for an upsell (I have seen them mostly in the $199 to $399 range). If you do decide to take it, ask which Neptune cabins are available to you and be sure to have a deck plan handy to refer to when you call them back. You will need to make a decision quickly as these deals often go very fast.

Only you can decide if it is worth it to you. Its a very individual decision, but I generally take it, especially with three in the cabin.

Go with a midship Neptune location - as close to the Neptune lounge as you can get. Your DH should be fine with this. AVOID the aft-wrap cabins as there can be alot more motion.

That sounds like what I think you mentioned months ago about your guideline for upsells: if the upsell cost is 30% (or less) of the price difference between your current cabin (when booked) and the upsell cabin (today's price), then go for it. Did I remember that correctly? ;)

So, I declined. We will be on the 7-day northbound cruise to Alaska. The upsell was still available...but here is why I declined (BTW, my son would not be charged for the upsell):

*My husband felt the larger cabin was not worth it (I tend to disagree ;) )

*We decided to go for a few of the more expensive excursions and used the money for that

*If I never had gotten the upsell offer, I was just as happy about going

*Do you know how much yarn you can purchase for $700 (yes, I am a knitter) :D

*and the clincher - our water heater just broke and needs replacing.

So, I declined. And I will be just as happy with the SS we have :)

So, I declined. We will be on the 7-day northbound cruise to Alaska. The upsell was still available...but here is why I declined (BTW, my son would not be charged for the upsell):

*We decided to go for a few of the more expensive excursions and used the money for that

You made the decison right for you :).

SS is a very nice cabin, just about the most perfect one for the price HAL offers. You did the right thing. The shore excursions will pay off in more memories and the unplanned water heater cannot wait.

Last November when we checked in on the Westerdam, we were informed our room (ocean view) had been changed. At the time my concern was would our luggage find the new room. But when I inserted the key and entered, we had been upgraded to a Signature Suite. And it was everything anyone could want, plus a large balcony. I've sailed in the Neptune Suites also and really like them, would sail in them every time, but the Signature Suite is a wonderful close second. Have a great trip, I know you will enjoy your digs. :halo: :):halo::) Marianne

I think you made the right decision. To me, the upsell is not worth it for a seven-day cruise. However . . . tell your DH that on a longer cruise, the NS is very much, IMHO, worth it. Point out that you can breakfast every morning in the Pinnacle Grill, which beats out the Lido and the MDR. And we enjoy the individual attention given us by the NS concierge.

Enjoy your Alaska cruise!

That sounds like what I think you mentioned months ago about your guideline for upsells: if the upsell cost is 30% (or less) of the price difference between your current cabin (when booked) and the upsell cabin (today's price), then go for it. Did I remember that correctly? ;)

Sounds like what I said. I did not know the OP's prices in this example.

Also just to add.. I am horribly subject to motion sickness. I discovered Bonine before my first cruise and use it every time. I start taking it the day before we sail and have never had a hint of sea sickness. Last time we were in a aft wrap Suite and was a little nervous as I'd heard they have more motion. It did but I felt not one bit queasy! We actually enjoyed the motion of the aft cabin so much that we booked one again for our next cruise and will every time we can! And I can still have a drink!! Hope you have a great time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a knitter, look around for yarn made from the musk ox while in Alaska. It is incredibly soft and very unusual. I found some on our last two trips and love it for smaller projects where more expensive yarn will not break the bank.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thank you for coming back and letting us know you decision.

For you -- you made the right decision.

As a solo traveler, I laugh when I receive upsell offers, saying for $349 PP ,we will upgrade you and it sounds pretty good, until you realize you have to pay $349 for the non-existent second person as well, adding insult to injury !

• 2 weeks later...
As a knitter, look around for yarn made from the musk ox while in Alaska. It is incredibly soft and very unusual. I found some on our last two trips and love it for smaller projects where more expensive yarn will not break the bank.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I did! I got a skein that is 60% muskox, 20% merino, 10% silk. Very expensive, but incredibly soft. Found Alaskan dyed yarn in each port, and planning on making a commemorative shawl.