Island Muster Drill, How to handle??

Yehootu

It's still 300 days away, but just thought of a little problem. My wife and I will be traveling with my 93yr old Mom. Last time we were on the same deck, but separated by around 15 cabins. She had the Universe lounge as her muster station and I can't remember where ours was but it wasn't the same. She uses a transport chair at times so she doesn't have to walk or stand for long periods, and therefore we'd go where she goes in an emerge, or just the drill.It was a mess cleaning up the Muster drill mess last time and have sometime to think ahead.

Anyway on this cruise, Mom will be on a bump-out on Carib deck, 637 and we will be 2nd to last mini on Dolphin deck. With the removal of the Universe lounge, I've read a few reviews of muster station in the gym, etc. Any advise on how to satisfy the muster roll call, as to not screw up other passengers while ours gets sorted out?

Mahalo.

We dropped my parents off at their muster station early and then went to ours in a different area. They waited for us to retrieve them afterwards. No problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like excellent advice. It will also have the benefit of the elderly mother being at her station early so she can get a seat.

When you board ask the Passenger Service Desk if your mother could be assigned to your muster station. If you can arrange that, then you could get her to the station and bring her back to her cabin after the drill.

Be sure to notify the Passenger Service Desk of your mother's needs in case of a real emergency and they will make sure someone helps her in case there is a real emergency.

Thoughts:

When you board the muster drill time will be posted in the patter.

Register your mother for wheelchair assistance.

Ask if you can both be assigned to the same muster station.

Bring your mother to her muster station by elevator maybe 20 mins early. Ask the muster station captain in the white cap if you can stay with her even though you are assigned to another station.

If not go to your station for the drill and return after the drill. It will take some time for elevators to clear so there is plenty of time after the drill.

Her cabin steward and other emergency personnel need to be aware that your mother will need assistance in the event of a real emergency. You should make her cabin steward and the front desk personnel aware of this as soon after boarding as practical (as in stow your stuff, settle mom and in and head to the passenger services desk). During that conversation you may be able to arrange to be assigned to her muster station, or have her attend muster at your station. But, if not, take her to muster station before the drill time - we like to get there 15 min or more ahead of time so we are not told where to sit, but can get a perch in the back near the exit - and get her settled in the area(s) reserved for mobility impaired passengers. Then, you can either stay with her, if appropriate, or proceed to your station. She can stay put after the drill until you can collect her. Enjoy your cruise.

The replies about how to take her to muster drill all miss the point.

Although most of us think of muster drills as a routine convenience, they serve an important safety function. It is absolutely essential that you be assigned to the same muster station - not for the drill but for the possibility of a real emergency. If (worst case) you need to abandon ship, you definitely need to be in the same lifeboat.

Contact Princess now (either directly if you booked directly or through your travel agent) and let them know the issue. Don't wait until you get on the ship. Ask for the same muster station. You may need to change cabins in order to do so. Even if one of you has to get a less desirable cabin, that's better than the real safety issues you could have in a real emergency.

If I understand it correctly, in an actual abandon ship type of emergency you would go to your muster station and then be led to your lifeboat. Each lifeboat only holds a certain number of passengers. So you can't just add two more people that aren't assigned to that station because there would be no room for them on a lifeboat.

How likely is it for the Passenger Service Desk to assign passengers to the same muster station? Has anyone had experience with this?

Similar situation for me...have elderly dad who will be 92.

If I understand it correctly, in an actual abandon ship type of emergency you would go to your muster station and then be led to your lifeboat. Each lifeboat only holds a certain number of passengers. So you can't just add two more people that aren't assigned to that station because there would be no room for them on a lifeboat.

This is not a situation where exactly the right number of people are assigned to a muster station to exactly fill the likely lifeboats to be used.

A vertical section of cabins is assigned to a particular muster station. For example, cabins at the front of the ship on all decks may be assigned to the Princess Theater.

The number of people occupying these cabins and thus assigned to a muster station will vary on each cruise based on how many cabins are vacant, how many are occupied by only one person, and how many have more than two passengers.

The cabins assigned to a muster station do not change each cruise and thus the number of people assigned to a muster station will vary each cruise based on occupancy. There will always be room for two more people as the chances that every single berth in that section of the ship being occupied are between slim and none.

You could always assign your mom to your room and your wife to the other room on the reservation and then stay in whatever arrangement you choose once onboard. This way, your mom can go to the muster drill with you and your wife could go to the other one by herself, which is better than your mom having to go alone. You can always arrange for key card assignments to be made for the rooms after the fact.

Or, to simplify this, just have your wife and mom trade cards for the drill itself. Definitely, as one post mentions, inform your mom's room steward of the situation indicating that she will need help in case of a real emergency.

Personally, I would try to get a room next to hers, though. Maybe that is easier said than done.

The key swapping is an excellent idea.We usually get a far aft mini and Mom loves her aft facing balcony. This time on the Island, not an option. She is fine by herself on cruises, about 30+ so far on Princess, so the room being a floor up isn't that big of a concern. She can get into the same amount of trouble where ever her room is. At 93yrs old, she stays out at night a lot longer than we do. She just needs her transport chair for long treks, or when there is limited seating.

Thanks again for all the great ideas. Hope when they dry dock other ships, they don't change the carpet patterns as they did on the Grand. Keeps Mom straight on sides of the ship and direction.

All good suggestions! Thank-You.

Perhaps you will find this ACTUAL EXPERIENCE better than just a suggestion.

My 80 y/o mother was not assigned to my muster station. So at muster when I took her to hers and the staff member scanning her in picked up on the situation, they were able to use their device to "re-assign" me to her station on the spot.

So no need to call ahead, swap cards or do anything else.

And coincidentally this actually took place on Island Princess.