Bring snorkel gear?

serotta4

Hi! We are cruising with Royal Caribbean in July snd stopping in Labadee, Falmouth, and Cozumel. In Cozumel we are doing a snorkeling excursion, but I'm curious whether it makes sense to bring our own snorkel gear for the other ports. Just looking for advice to see whether it is worth lugging extra gear with us or not. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi! We are cruising with Royal Caribbean in July snd stopping in Labadee, Falmouth, and Cozumel. In Cozumel we are doing a snorkeling excursion, but I'm curious whether it makes sense to bring our own snorkel gear for the other ports. Just looking for advice to see whether it is worth lugging extra gear with us or not. Thanks!

I will rent the fins and vest, but I prefer to bring my own mask and snorkel. I have a small face, and many standard masks do not fit me correctly. Also, despite the snorkels being washed after each use, I prefer to have my own mouthpiece. :)

Personally we always bring our own mask and snorkel, and use the fins provided. Mask and snorkel are pretty easy to pack, and I just can't bring myself to use a snorkel that someone else has had in their mouth (shudder) when I have NO real way of knowing how well things were sanitized. Fins provided are generally pretty decent though...

I will rent the fins and vest, but I prefer to bring my own mask and snorkel. I have a small face, and many standard masks do not fit me correctly. Also, despite the snorkels being washed after each use, I prefer to have my own mouthpiece. :)

Good point about mask sizes...nothing worse than spending the entire time fighting a leaky mask!

I bring everything and DH brings mask, snorkel and snorkel vest. I'm not so much a germaphobe as I am a "get the heck in the water ASAP and don't have to rely on excursions" type of person!

Where did you buy your snorkel vest? We are ASAP people too! ;)

Thank you for all the responses. I guess my question is...if I bring me own, will I use it in Labadee if I am NOT doing an official snorkeling excursion? How about Cozumel?

I bring my own mask and snorkel. I prefer snorkels with a wave baffle and purge valve. Excursion & rental snorkels tend to be very simple J tubes with a mouth piece.

Cozumel has excellent snorkeling. Most of it off shore, so an excursion makes sense.

Thank you for all the responses. I guess my question is...if I bring me own, will I use it in Labadee if I am NOT doing an official snorkeling excursion? How about Cozumel?

If I am swimming in the ocean, I usually have a mask and snorkel on. There is almost always something interesting to see - whether it's a "snorkeling" spot or not.

We take our own snorkeling stuff but have smaller fins made just for snorkeling.

We each have a vest which we both always wear. They are inflatable with a blow tube to inflate or empty it as much as you want. They are as flat as can be when not inflated. I will dive down to get something on the bottom so let air our to do this. My husband keeps his inflated.

Everything is kept in a mash snorkeling bag along with a tiny 'bottle' of stuff to put on the inside mask so it won't fog at all.

I usually bring my own mask and snorkel; I don't use fins often enough to pack them. I'm not that worried about using other gear; by the time the mouthpiece is in my mouth it has been well rinsed in the ocean, but most masks are too large for me. Plus many times I just snorkel from shore and don't have to go through the hassle of finding and renting equipment.

My DH doesn't snorkel often without a tour, but he usually brings everything, including fins.

I can't answer for Labadee but if one is required then you can use your own. Unless you are on an excursion (as opposed from snorkeling from the beach) they are not required in Cozumel. Many of the Cozumel excursions do require them and you can always wear your own.

Just Ask your self if you would share a toothbrush. :evilsmile:

If you are flying make sure you check your baggage weight if you decided to bring the gears. Normally we were never over 50 lb, but last trip we decided to bring all the snorkeling gears and it went over to 52 lb. Luckily our 2nd bag is only 47 lb. But we had to move something over to avoid the $100 over size fee.