Souvenir Alcohol?

rskt

Has anyone brought back alcohol from any of their ports and made it home with it ok? I would like to bring some rum home from Jamaica, but I'm not sure if the ships or airline will allow it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok for both. The ship will take it from you when you board in Jamaica and return it to your cabin on the last night. Customs only allows 1 liter pp duty free. happy cruising

Thank you!

Has anyone brought back alcohol from any of their ports and made it home with it ok? I would like to bring some rum home from Jamaica, but I'm not sure if the ships or airline will allow it?

The ship will collect it when you board. You'll get it back the last night. The airline will allow you to take it home, but you have to put it in your checked luggage. The gorillas (aka airline baggage handlers) that handle your luggage can be kind of rough, so make sure you properly pad the bottles.

I have I done it? Yes. Everything worked out great.

The ship will collect it when you board. You'll get it back the last night. The airline will allow you to take it home, but you have to put it in your checked luggage. The gorillas (aka airline baggage handlers) that handle your luggage can be kind of rough, so make sure you properly pad the bottles.

I have I done it? Yes. Everything worked out great.

Thank you! I'll buy some bubble wrap or something then. I just wasn't sure if it were illegal to "hide" in my luggage LOL

Ok for both. The ship will take it from you when you board in Jamaica and return it to your cabin on the last night. Customs only allows 1 liter pp duty free. happy cruising

More if you purchase liquor in St. Thomas.

Thank you! I'll buy some bubble wrap or something then. I just wasn't sure if it were illegal to "hide" in my luggage LOL

You should look into purchasing a wine diaper so that if a bottle does break, it does not leak onto everything in your suitcase and suitcases of those around you.

Also check out the CBP website for custom allowances as it is more than 1 liter depending on where it is purchased.

You used the word souvenir. Are you referring to those multi packs of different flavors of rum? If so, you will most likely get those through ship security and take back to your room. Bring a few quality plastic bags, pack in there and wrap in dirty t shirts, no need for bubble wrap. Have a great cruise!

I brought back a ton from my last cruise and flew from Fort Lauderdale to Newark with no issues. Like the previous poster said just wrp it in your clothes. You can also buy some of those bubble wrap covers but that just takes up more space.

I brought back a ton from my last cruise and flew from Fort Lauderdale to Newark

How much did you have to pay for over weight luggage? Seems to me you would have saved a lot to just by the liquor locally and used a one ton pick up to get the liquor to your house.

How much did you have to pay for over weight luggage? Seems to me you would have saved a lot to just by the liquor locally and used a one ton pick up to get the liquor to your house.

we flew first class so it didnt matter. A lot of the stuff I picked up were things I could only get outside of the US

You used the word souvenir. Are you referring to those multi packs of different flavors of rum? If so, you will most likely get those through ship security and take back to your room. Bring a few quality plastic bags, pack in there and wrap in dirty t shirts, no need for bubble wrap. Have a great cruise!

Yes, just a gift for my brother! Maybe I'll look specifically at the small multi packs.

I brought back a ton from my last cruise and flew from Fort Lauderdale to Newark with no issues. Like the previous poster said just wrp it in your clothes. You can also buy some of those bubble wrap covers but that just takes up more space.

we flew first class so it didnt matter. A lot of the stuff I picked up were things I could only get outside of the US

You missed Cuizer2 point. A ton would equal 40 bags at 50 lbs each. I didn't know that first class was that generous!:cool:

We brought bubble wrap, duct tape and freezer bags on a trip to the Dominican Republic. We brought back 6 bottles of rum (4 of which can not be bought in Canada or the States unfortunately). We double-bagged a bottle in freezer bags, wrapped it up in bubble wrap, secured with duct tape and nestled them among clothing. 3 bottles per suitcase. It worked beautifully.

We plan on doing this again with port purchases on our cruise. BTW, we declared we were over our limit on rum (by 2 bottles) and they just waived us through. This was coming back into Canada 1 1/2 months ago.

Ohh, multi-packs of different flavours of rum? I need to know more about these please! How many bottles in a pack? About what size? About how much? Can these be purchased in St. Thomas, St. Kitts, or Nassau?

I've done double layers of plastic grocery bags and rubber bands around bottles a number of times. If it is a crown cap (I do a lot of cider, so they often have caps like beers), I do a tiny piece of foam or bubble wrap just over the top with a rubber band, so if it gets bumped it will be ok. Then, wrap in clothes. Plastic bags and rubber bands don't take up much space at all. Alcohol is one of my favorite trip souvenirs! Even better if we're driving not flying.

We brought bubble wrap, duct tape and freezer bags on a trip to the Dominican Republic. We brought back 6 bottles of rum (4 of which can not be bought in Canada or the States unfortunately). We double-bagged a bottle in freezer bags, wrapped it up in bubble wrap, secured with duct tape and nestled them among clothing. 3 bottles per suitcase. It worked beautifully.

We plan on doing this again with port purchases on our cruise. BTW, we declared we were over our limit on rum (by 2 bottles) and they just waived us through. This was coming back into Canada 1 1/2 months ago.

They are only after the people that bring in a ton or more. If you are just a few bottles over many times they don't care.

We've brought back 3-5 liters per year....and US customs has never opened a bag or said a word.

Did you actually declare to them that you had 3-5 liters of liquor in your bag and they turned a blind eye and deaf ear? Or you didn't declare it and weren't subjected to a random luggage search? They don't routinely inspect all bags but if you are exceeding the duty free amount, you are expected to declare it.

Customs only allows 1 liter pp duty free. happy cruising

Actually, if you are purchasing a bottle of Jamaican rum in Jamaica, you can bring back a second bottle of something else per person (i.e. 1 bottle of Appleton Estates rum and 1 bottle of Skyy Vodka p/p.)