The virtues of formal nights & why we like them

keithm

Um, does this strike a familiar note?

"I know I would ask to be reassigned to a different group if I found myself at a table that insisted on a discussion about the virtues of the current USA commander in chief."

I know this irritates some people but I love hearing both sides of the political table. There's no need to get argumentative but it's still better than hearing about what people did that day.

My comment is the opposite of dictating the conversation. It allows those who wish to extoll the virtues of our current commander in chief to do so. It allows me the right to choose NOT to listen to it. Now if I stayed at the table and dictated that no such discussion would take place then y'all would be on point.

I have always found plenty to discuss with my table mates in addition to what we did that day. I have learned about different cultures by discussing family weddings and traditions, discussing generational relationships, how the public health care and schools work, how elections are held and a myriad of other topics.

My problem is that you are wrong and spreading misinformation - fake. Smart casual is fine even on formal nights. Read. Those are "recommendations".

Formal night is Formal night. The other nights are smart casual. A I said, this board is for those who like formal nights. Go play on your own board. I won't follow you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I couldn't care less about what other people at my table were wearing, as long as they are clean. It has no affect on my food, and I enjoy casual conversation. However, I will not engage conversation when it comes to politics. It invariably leads to arguing unless both parties feel the same way. My politics are nobodies business. I went on a cruise to enjoy myself, not get irritated.

Well said. (Even though I do dress for dinner every night)

Formal night is Formal night. The other nights are smart casual. A I said, this board is for those who like formal nights. Go play on your own board. I won't follow you.

There you go again. That's just not true. Smart casual is fine on formal nights - formal nights are optional. There is no penalty for dressing casual on formal nights.

Yes, I wear a costume every day. Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckeberg have it right. My costume is a retirement costume. It is easier to dress that way. In the summer a t-shirt and shorts. In the winter jeans and a long sleeved shirt. Tuxes and suits are another costume. I don't have a need to wear those now except to special occasions. A cruise is not a special occasion that requires fancy duds. I cruise to relax. I don't find a suit and tie relaxing. But if it is to you then absolutely you should wear them. I don't mind if you wear them and you should not mind if I don't wear them.

Sorry, but t shirt & shorts are NOT proper dress for dinner in the MDR(I hope that's not your choice of attire at dinner!). Not even in the Buffet for that matter. If I wanted to eat like I was at a flea market, then I'd eat at a flea market.

Exactly! Or dedicate one dining room to smart casual. Then those who enjoy could have the entire dining room full of fancy gowns, tuxes, etc, which I admit is beautiful and special feeling in that old time sailing tradition kind of way. Not everyday stuff..

The reason we rarely indulge is that, at this point in our travels, we usually take exotics and backpack around before and after the cruise. Packing a tux just isn't practical--or possible unless we add a suitcase. And we've done the whole formal thing many times. But we miss the fancy dinner food!

I believe one of the newer RCCL ships has a rest. where the dress code is more formal & the others are smart casual. Now that I would be fine with. Not sure if it's a specialty rest. or not. I'm sure someone knows.

Sorry, but t shirt & shorts are NOT proper dress for dinner in the MDR(I hope that's not your choice of attire at dinner!). Not even in the Buffet for that matter. If I wanted to eat like I was at a flea market, then I'd eat at a flea market.

Shirts and short are allowed on the first night of any Princess cruise and the last night.....we were on the Majestic for over a month and the first night of a segment and last night you saw this type of dress in the MDR because people either had not received their luggage or had packed their luggage.....most of what has been posted about formal nights is just not the reality of how Princess handles it......:)

I don't think that CC has any posting provision that says you can ensure that only those of a certain opinion can post to a thread. The OP stated in the first post that he intended to have contrary opinions removed and thus rig the thread, but it doesn't seem to have happened.

We all come from different lifestyles. For some, a tux is a necessary part of his wardrobe. For others, it is a costume. The same could be said about gowns for the ladies. It is not necessary to wear a tux or gown for formal night even if you wish to exactly adhere to Princess's guidelines.

Though, I like formal wear we don't wear tux's much. We mostly wear nice suits. Tux's we leave to Cunard. The only time a person should be absolutely in a tux is when he gives me my academy award, which I most humbly deserve(this is humor, folks!)