The virtues of formal nights & why we like them

keithm

In all our cruises, we've never seen it so "warm" in the MDR, that pax resort to wearing shorts. I'd avoid a 5 day cruise like the plague. Sorry, but I've always seen a lower denominator & behavior from pax who choose these type of cruises.(aka the "booze" cruise)I'm certain your second leg WILL be far different from your first leg of your B2B. For those who'll call me a snob(becareful!)I've seen how these pax behave when in port. Really gives us Americans a bad rap. I get really tired of disgusting drunk behavior by a lot of these types when in ports that share ships with longer trips. This is off topic, so let's get back to the topic at hand.

I have seen plenty of passengers dressed to the nines who were drunk.

I have seen plenty of passengers dressed to the nines who were drunk.

Certainly true, but I was referring to behavior while on shore. I doubt you'll see formally dressed pax on shore, as that makes no sense.

You've claimed you basically wear just jeans & t shirts when cruising. How do you justify your own post? Do you actually dress up a bit when dining in the MDR?

I stand by my claim. Where did I say I wore them in the MDR? You have only one way to find out if or how I dress when dining in the MDR.

I love formal night! Hubby, not so much but he does it for me. It really doesn't bother me at all to see fellow cruisers dressed more casually in the MDR, but I'd hate to have them do away with formal night altogether, I like the designated evening for those that want to dress up (don't want to be the only one). I also agree that the cruise lines should serve the same meal in the buffet for those more comfortable eating there, they paid the same price for their cruise so why shouldn't they have the same food? I have a tip for the guys who are considering renting a tux - look into purchasing one. When my husband was invited to a black-tie event last fall I compared renting vs. buying, for about the price of two rentals we purchased one. After the 2nd wearing it's free!

You can get a tux for a reasonable price at many chain stores that cater to men. In some cases, it is cheaper than buying a suit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is very true. Tuxes are not very expensive. Which kind of tells you something....

That is very true. Tuxes are not very expensive. Which kind of tells you something....

All it tells you that it depends on quality or name on the label, whether suit or tux.

I love formal night! Hubby, not so much but he does it for me. It really doesn't bother me at all to see fellow cruisers dressed more casually in the MDR, but I'd hate to have them do away with formal night altogether, I like the designated evening for those that want to dress up (don't want to be the only one). I also agree that the cruise lines should serve the same meal in the buffet for those more comfortable eating there, they paid the same price for their cruise so why shouldn't they have the same food? I have a tip for the guys who are considering renting a tux - look into purchasing one. When my husband was invited to a black-tie event last fall I compared renting vs. buying, for about the price of two rentals we purchased one. After the 2nd wearing it's free!

We went to a nice consignment store and found a beautiful Kiton tux for a great price. DH looks amazing in it (but honestly he looks amazing all the time). My long gowns are bought on sale and it is really easy to find great designer gowns at reasonable prices.

We enjoy the relaxed atmosphere on a cruise. We can be as active or not as we choose during the day, then take the time to shower, have a cocktail whilst getting dressed and then leisurely stroll to a dinner where we get to meet interesting people. This is not an activity that fits well into our normal daily life. So getting dressed for dinner every night for us is part of why we cruise.

Our formal wear and other dressy clothes are tailored to fit and not binding or uncomfortable. My dress shoes are flats and they do not hurt to walk in (thank you Jimmy Choo and Manolo Blahnik) . We like to dress well and enjoy the upscale ambiance on formal nights.

I loved the post by the family with the 3 young boys who dressed for formal night. I hope I'm lucky enough to see them on a cruise someday. :)

You can get a tux for a reasonable price at many chain stores that cater to men. In some cases, it is cheaper than buying a suit.

True, but those can be ill fitting and not flattering. Find an upscale, designer consignment store to find a quality hand sewn, Italian fine wool tuxedo and have it tailored. This will be less expensive and will make the gentleman look like a milion bucks!

.......?????

Bob

They are a uniform, a costume, nothing more. People can delude themselves but there is nothing special about a tux. Except it is a different design than a suit. A different uniform. They definitely need to be altered to fit each individual, they won't usually fit correctly right off the rack.

Most people find out that the formal nights clothing isn't required on the first night and you saw what they do on the second.

It's that way most cruises.

Princess is becoming more casual as time goes by in order to compete with all the rest of the cruise lines.

We use traditional dining and have always found that our table mates step up their dress after the first night. Whether it's because they see how we are dressed or it's because their luggage was late, I'll never know.....nor do I care. On formal nights, not all the gents wear a tux at our table but they at least have on a dark suit and tie. We have enjoyed the ability to learn about other cultures and life experiences from those we dine with on a cruise.

While I wouldn't ask to be moved if our table mates didn't dress for dinner, I know I would ask to be reassigned to a different group if I found myself at a table that insisted on a discussion about the virtues of the current USA commander in chief. Any one who gives me grief about this statement will be perfectly demonstrating why I've said it. In fact a lovely couple from Australia joined our table on the third night to get away from a group who were doing just that.

They are a uniform, a costume, nothing more. People can delude themselves but there is nothing special about a tux. Except it is a different design than a suit. A different uniform. They definitely need to be altered to fit each individual, they won't usually fit correctly right off the rack.

One could say the same for all clothes. One can say the same fit for suits. However, if costumes were unimportant, there would be no need for designers. Judging by the interest in fashion (even K Mart sells celebrity designs) costumes matter

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One could say the same for all clothes. One can say the same fit for suits. However, if costumes were unimportant, there would be no need for designers. Judging by the interest in fashion (even K Mart sells celebrity designs) costumes matter

Exactly!

If they would only serve the exact food in the Horizon buffet as in the DR most of the problems caused by people not wanting to dress formally would go away.

Exactly! Or dedicate one dining room to smart casual. Then those who enjoy could have the entire dining room full of fancy gowns, tuxes, etc, which I admit is beautiful and special feeling in that old time sailing tradition kind of way. Not everyday stuff..

The reason we rarely indulge is that, at this point in our travels, we usually take exotics and backpack around before and after the cruise. Packing a tux just isn't practical--or possible unless we add a suitcase. And we've done the whole formal thing many times. But we miss the fancy dinner food!

While I wouldn't ask to be moved if our table mates didn't dress for dinner, I know I would ask to be reassigned to a different group if I found myself at a table that insisted on a discussion about the virtues of the current USA commander in chief. Any one who gives me grief about this statement will be perfectly demonstrating why I've said it. In fact a lovely couple from Australia joined our table on the third night to get away from a group who were doing just that.

Have anytime dining on my upcoming Princess cruise so what I wear or others wear will mean even less to me.

I have a longstanding rule not to bring up politics or religion with any table mates. And I certainly don't want to discuss the virtues or lack of virtues of the current US President at dinner. But since I have anytime dining I won't end up changing tables.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I wear a costume every day. Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckeberg have it right. My costume is a retirement costume. It is easier to dress that way. In the summer a t-shirt and shorts. In the winter jeans and a long sleeved shirt. Tuxes and suits are another costume. I don't have a need to wear those now except to special occasions. A cruise is not a special occasion that requires fancy duds. I cruise to relax. I don't find a suit and tie relaxing. But if it is to you then absolutely you should wear them. I don't mind if you wear them and you should not mind if I don't wear them.

All this back and forth about formal wear is getting of the subject my answer is if it's a formal night dress formally if you don't wish to do so go to the buffet it's only 3 or 4 formal nights after all.

All this back and forth about formal wear is getting of the subject my answer is if it's a formal night dress formally if you don't wish to do so go to the buffet it's only 3 or 4 formal nights after all.

Sorry Brian. We won't go to the buffet any evening whether or not we are dressed formally by your definition. I like the sit down service and I will be at the main dining room enjoying it. If that bothers you I advise up you to turn the other cheek because there is nothing you can do about it.

I stand by my claim. Where did I say I wore them in the MDR? You have only one way to find out if or how I dress when dining in the MDR.

You frequently say that's how you dress on board. So I would assume that if you do not wear that in the MDR for dinner that you likely change into something different. Would I be correct on that?

I can get a full tux for about $100 at K&G Mensmart in Woburn, MA. The necessary adjustments? Well that's another story!

Exactly! Or dedicate one dining room to smart casual. Then those who enjoy could have the entire dining room full of fancy gowns, tuxes, etc, which I admit is beautiful and special feeling in that old time sailing tradition kind of way. Not everyday stuff..

The reason we rarely indulge is that, at this point in our travels, we usually take exotics and backpack around before and after the cruise. Packing a tux just isn't practical--or possible unless we add a suitcase. And we've done the whole formal thing many times. But we miss the fancy dinner food!

The food in the buffet on the Regal was by FAR the best I've seen on any ship. Next time we do the Regal we'll pay more attention to the menu there!

We use traditional dining and have always found that our table mates step up their dress after the first night. Whether it's because they see how we are dressed or it's because their luggage was late, I'll never know.....nor do I care. On formal nights, not all the gents wear a tux at our table but they at least have on a dark suit and tie. We have enjoyed the ability to learn about other cultures and life experiences from those we dine with on a cruise.

Religion/Politics/Money.. The bane to any proper dinner conversation!

I do enjoy formal nights. We are getting ready for a cruise around Japan, and I am excited to see what the Japanese passengers (who will be in the majority) will wear on formal night! I am not fussy about other passengers, but when I take the trouble to put on a nice cocktail dress, I do not appreciate being seated with a couple of gentlemen from California, dressed in shorts and baseball caps who are loudly saying, "Eeeh, this is my vacation! I'm paying for it! Nobody can tell ME what to wear!" I complained and we were re-seated elsewhere.

I for one would be happy to go to the buffet if they only served the same food but since they don't we'll be in the DR dressed nicely those nights.

After all it's only 3 or 4 nights.