The virtues of formal nights & why we like them

keithm

I do enjoy formal nights. We are getting ready for a cruise around Japan, and I am excited to see what the Japanese passengers (who will be in the majority) will wear on formal night! I am not fussy about other passengers, but when I take the trouble to put on a nice cocktail dress, I do not appreciate being seated with a couple of gentlemen from California, dressed in shorts and baseball caps who are loudly saying, "Eeeh, this is my vacation! I'm paying for it! Nobody can tell ME what to wear!" I complained and we were re-seated elsewhere.

Ever think they might not appreciate being seated with you. Are you sure you were reseated because of your complaint or theirs. Never heard that kind of statement out of anyone at a table. Could it be you said something to them about how they were dressed?

We all come from different lifestyles. For some, a tux is a necessary part of his wardrobe. For others, it is a costume. The same could be said about gowns for the ladies. It is not necessary to wear a tux or gown for formal night even if you wish to exactly adhere to Princess's guidelines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do enjoy formal nights. We are getting ready for a cruise around Japan, and I am excited to see what the Japanese passengers (who will be in the majority) will wear on formal night! I am not fussy about other passengers, but when I take the trouble to put on a nice cocktail dress, I do not appreciate being seated with a couple of gentlemen from California, dressed in shorts and baseball caps who are loudly saying, "Eeeh, this is my vacation! I'm paying for it! Nobody can tell ME what to wear!" I complained and we were re-seated elsewhere.

Haha sweet! :')

The food in the buffet on the Regal was by FAR the best I've seen on any ship. Next time we do the Regal we'll pay more attention to the menu there!

We love the Regal buffet. If we don't like what's in the MDR on formal nights (my wife is a very fussy eater) we still dress up and go to the buffet. Maybe we look out of place, but we don't give a -----(fill in the blank). She likes to dress up and it is hardly putting a strain on me to please her (and I live in shorts year round).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have anytime dining on my upcoming Princess cruise so what I wear or others wear will mean even less to me.

I have a longstanding rule not to bring up politics or religion with any table mates. And I certainly don't want to discuss the virtues or lack of virtues of the current US President at dinner. But since I have anytime dining I won't end up changing tables.

At dinner, we sit at a table for two,or with our travel companions. We've had some interesting conversations with our table mates at lunch. As with anytime dining, it was random so we did not have to repeat the experience. If you are particular about the dress,conversation or comportment of your dinner companions then maybe a large table filled with strangers is not for you. Dining with strangers is a chance to meet new people. However, accepting that they may have different customs is imperative and part of what makes the experience enjoyable [emoji4].

At dinner, we sit at a table for two,or with our travel companions. We've had some interesting conversations with our table mates at lunch. As with anytime dining, it was random so we did not have to repeat the experience. If you are particular about the dress,conversation or comportment of your dinner companions then maybe a large table filled with strangers is not for you. Dining with strangers is a chance to meet new people. However, accepting that they may have different customs is imperative and part of what makes the experience enjoyable [emoji4].

Why are you replying that to me? I made it plain I am not particular about dress of my dinner companions. If they are wearing shorts or hats I won't ask to be reseated or complain to the Maitre' d. We always request a large table. I won't bring up politics or religion but if it comes up I won't ask to be reseated either. If it is civil I would participate. But I will tune out any mindless hysteria about the results of the last US election. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why are you replying that to me? I made it plain I am not particular about dress of my dinner companions. If they are wearing shorts or hats I won't ask to be reseated or complain to the Maitre' d. We always request a large table. I won't bring up politics or religion but if it comes up I won't ask to be reseated either. If it is civil I would participate. But I will tune out any mindless hysteria about the results of the last US election. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, I was agreeing with you.

We use traditional dining and have always found that our table mates step up their dress after the first night. Whether it's because they see how we are dressed or it's because their luggage was late, I'll never know.....nor do I care. On formal nights, not all the gents wear a tux at our table but they at least have on a dark suit and tie. We have enjoyed the ability to learn about other cultures and life experiences from those we dine with on a cruise.

While I wouldn't ask to be moved if our table mates didn't dress for dinner, I know I would ask to be reassigned to a different group if I found myself at a table that insisted on a discussion about the virtues of the current USA commander in chief. Any one who gives me grief about this statement will be perfectly demonstrating why I've said it. In fact a lovely couple from Australia joined our table on the third night to get away from a group who were doing just that.

Sounds like an advertisement for ATD. If you are so determined to dictate the discussion topics of other dinrrs, I would suggest a nice two top. As a plus, others would not have to "step up" to suit your sense of style.

Ever think they might not appreciate being seated with you. Are you sure you were reseated because of your complaint or theirs. Never heard that kind of statement out of anyone at a table. Could it be you said something to them about how they were dressed?

Can't leave it alone eh?

Religion/Politics/Money.. The bane to any proper dinner conversation!

You forgot sports.

We have had some very interesting discussions on all those topics at one time or another except for money. I think it is how one approaches the topic. Hearing about the basis of of a religion or political view may be educational if you listen openly. And, try as they may, nobody has been able to explain the game of cricket sufficiently for me to understand.

Now, back to the topic. Our practice for formal attire has changed a bit over the years. We initially were tux and gown. At present, we are dark suit and tie in Europe & Asia, with jacket and tie in Hawaii, Mexico and the Caribbean. My wife will typically wear a suit, formal slacks and / or formal top.

In any case, our host (Princess) has asked us to at least dress that way for the formal evenings. That is something that we ought to respect. As far as hats on men, it is my belief that it is rude to wear one indoors, period.

No. I would never be so rude to someone, even if they are rude to me. Yes, it really happened!

Sorry Brian. We won't go to the buffet any evening whether or not we are dressed formally by your definition. I like the sit down service and I will be at the main dining room enjoying it. If that bothers you I advise up you to turn the other cheek because there is nothing you can do about it.

Exactly. Who are these people who are so concerned about what I'm wearing that it, apparently, changes the taste of their food? I'm on vacation, I paid for my cabin just like everyone else and I won't be wearing a tux, nor a suit, nor a tie to formal nights. (And I promise not to complain about those people in formal wear, I won't complain about the people in formal wear blocking the staircases getting their pictures taken, and I won't even complain about those who voted for Trump)

Sounds like an advertisement for ATD. If you are so determined to dictate the discussion topics of other dinrrs, I would suggest a nice two top. As a plus, others would not have to "step up" to suit your sense of style.

No one has to do any such thing. That's very rude of you to infer as much. I said I didn't know nor did I care. Furthermore I said our table mates dress would NOT cause me to change tables. You should really read posts better before replying.

Additionally, you are making an egregious error asserting that I would dictate anyone's discussion. Nowhere in my post do I even come close to saying that.

It's comments such as this that cause all the arguments.

As long as Princess allows people to eat in their DR dressed neatly, no one should be taking it upon themselves to be the dress police. True formal dress is not an absolute requirement.

You should re-read Princess's guidelines about examples on to dress dressing on formal nights and you might change your mind.

Exactly.

I notice when when people underdress on formal night. They stand-out in an unflattering way. Sorry to say, it is mostly men who eschew the rules. Go to the buffet if you choose not to dress appropriately. You look out of place in the MDR, people notice and are commenting. It is akin to wearing a speedo-lol

Oh please - give me a break. They stand out to you in an unflattering way. Here's an idea, just don't pay attention to what other people are wearing, don't let it bother you, it's not a big deal. But to suggest that people used the buffet because they aren't wearing a tux? That's just absurd.

A few years back we were seated at a table where one man was dressed casual on formal night. I asked him why he was not dressed formal. He answered - I just tell them at the door that the luggage with my tux was lost and they let me in - I do it all the time. We excused ourself and were seated at a different table

I'm sure the casual dressed man had a much better dinner because of your departure and I'm quite sure that your food had to have tasted better at the new table, assuming, of course, that he wasn't in your line of sight.

I'm sure the casual dressed man had a much better dinner because of your departure and I'm quite sure that your food had to have tasted better at the new table, assuming, of course, that he wasn't in your line of sight.

I understand your sarcasm, but isn't it a bit of "I'm entitled" by the casual dresser? And isn't that really one of our societal problems: I'm entitled because ---(fill in blank).

How about the fact that it is reminiscent and honors the days of the original ocean voyages? It evokes an idea of gentility and an era of manners that we are sorely lacking in this day and age. It preserves and acknowledges that there are times and places to leave the blue jeans and ordinary clothes behind and celebrate a special moment. Elegant clothing helps set a romantic and classic mood. Women look beautiful in evening gowns and we need and want our companions to look equally handsome.

And if all else fails, you can fall back on my husband's moto: Happy wife, happy life.

Have I convinced you now?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How about - the 1950s are over?

Exactly. Who are these people who are so concerned about what I'm wearing that it, apparently, changes the taste of their food? I'm on vacation, I paid for my cabin just like everyone else and I won't be wearing a tux, nor a suit, nor a tie to formal nights. (And I promise not to complain about those people in formal wear, I won't complain about the people in formal wear blocking the staircases getting their pictures taken, and I won't even complain about those who voted for Trump)

One supposes that, using the theory of "I'm on vacation, I paid for my cabin..." would give you the right to smoke wherever you choose, not be bothered by queues for dining or tenders, or, for that matter, any other thing that would get in the way of your enjoyment. It is also so nice of you to be so accepting of those who exercised their right to vote for whom they chose. I continue to be amused by self centered people. It used to be annoying, but as one ages, they get to see the humor in these folks because they certainly do not look inward themselves.

Additionally, you are making an egregious error asserting that I would dictate anyone's discussion. Nowhere in my post do I even come close to saying that.

Um, does this strike a familiar note?

"I know I would ask to be reassigned to a different group if I found myself at a table that insisted on a discussion about the virtues of the current USA commander in chief."