The virtues of formal nights & why we like them

keithm

I am looking forward to formal night. I am traveling with my 2 children dd will be 5 and DS will be 14 my son will wear a dark suit and bow tie(I do not want to rent and then fly in with a tux) my daughter will wear a formal dress( she has a ton of glittery dresses that she wears often). I am looking forward to the photo opportunities as this will be a great time to have an excuse to dress up and take photos.

I am looking forward to formal night. I am traveling with my 2 children dd will be 5 and DS will be 14 my son will wear a dark suit and bow tie(I do not want to rent and then fly in with a tux) my daughter will wear a formal dress( she has a ton of glittery dresses that she wears often). I am looking forward to the photo opportunities as this will be a great time to have an excuse to dress up and take photos.

Feel free to share your photo memories with the rest of us!

I understand what you are saying and I appreciate that you are not trying to hammer/force your point across. Unfortunately there are some on here that do and insist that those not dressed "formal" eat elsewhere.

I enjoy formal nights, but when I don't feel like dressing up I eat elsewhere, even occasionally the buffet and I hate buffets. Why? Because I'm aware of the guidelines before I travel and sign that contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I enjoy formal nights, but when I don't feel like dressing up I eat elsewhere, even occasionally the buffet and I hate buffets. Why? Because I'm aware of the guidelines before I travel and sign that contract.

If you're on the Regal, I'd strongly suggest trying the Horizon café. Probably the best & most varied buffet I've seen on a ship.

If you're on the Regal, I'd strongly suggest trying the Horizon café. Probably the best & most varied buffet I've seen on a ship.

Good to know. I haven't sailed on the Regal yet.

Nice to know about the Regal buffet. We will be on a B2B at the end of October and will see what a large ship is like (the Crown is the largest one we have cruised on). We'll be bringing tux and long dresses for those formal evenings and enjoy ourselves regardless of what others are wearing.

One time I was on a Holland America Cruise in the Caribbean and they were having the "Garfield Fan Club Convention" (for the comic strip with the orange cat lol) on the ship and I saw a lady wearing a white wedding dress (no she was not getting married) with embroidered Garfield's all over it on one of the formal nights lol 😆

You don't have to give up the DR for lack of true formal dress.

Princess allows a modification in the DR for everyone that prefers to dress down a bit. Many women simply dress with a pair of black slacks & a sparkly top & although it's not what some would consider formal, I have never seen any of them being denied dining.

Princess allows a modification in the DR for everyone that prefers to dress down a bit. Many women simply dress with a pair of black slacks & a sparkly top & although it's not what some would consider formal, I have never seen any of them being denied dining.

floridalover,

I wish you played football with me on the Patriots!! You never give up. We would have at least 6 championships rings. Instead of only 5.

Tony

floridalover,

I wish you played football with me on the Patriots!! You never give up. We would have at least 6 championships rings. Instead of only 5.

Tony

Yeah but all that effort and he has 0 rings. :')

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I'm not fond of dressing up, but I did participate on our last cruise. Can't afford to go all out, but a nice dark pair of pants, good shirt and a dark sports coat was more than enough; saw people without coats and a few without ties. I enjoyed wearing ties those nights, they gave me a chance to show some color to my outfit.

I'm with you [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If it wasn't for the formal nights I wouldn't be interested in going on a cruise. When I go on holiday I like it to be completely different from my normal daily life and I love to see my husband dressed up in his tux - very 007! I think it a shame that so many cruise ships are relaxing their dress codes and it seems such a strange thing to do when the younger generation are into dressing up and looking good again.

We really enjoy formal nights. Almost like a date night again. Tempted to do the Tux rental on a cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I couldn't agree more. I think it lovely to dress up for one another, certainly helps to keep my marriage great.

Have a great fourth. We're baby siting the grand puppy will the kids go to the gulf.

We just got back from a large block party. Many of the folks in the neighborhood are police & they like to do QUITE a fireworks display. We kicked in a few hundred $ in fireworks for the display. Must have been several thousand $$! These guys did it well timed, with "roped off" areas for the fireworks. Very well done & great food. Our catering co. kicked in a load of slow cooked Beef Brisket. Yeah, that was gone in a flash! Have fun sitting with the puppy(hopefully NOT a Great Dane!)See everyone in a few days.

Edited by keithm
punctuation

We just got back from a large block party. Many of the folks in the neighborhood are police & they like to do QUITE a fireworks display. We kicked in a few hundred $ in fireworks for the display. Must have been several thousand $$! These guys did it well timed, with "roped off" areas for the fireworks. Very well done & great food. Our catering co. kicked in a load of slow cooked Beef Brisket. Yeah, that was gone in a flash! Have fun sitting with the puppy(hopefully NOT a Great Dane!)See everyone in a few days.

Love brisket. Almost as much as beef ribs.

Lulu, the Grand Puppy, is an apricot toy poodle.

Actually, we love Great Danes. We've had three. Ginger, our last Great Dane was a 195 pound female. Extremely sweet. We rescued her from the pound. She had major health issues. We finally had to put her down about six months ago. Danes are wonderful dogs but they are very short lived and prone to health issues. IMO, Great Danes are the most wonderful dogs. I'm just getting too old to handle 200 pound dogs.

Well, we're back from our Equinox resort mini vacation. Great relaxing time. Hope everyone had a reasonably safe & sane Fourth of July summer break. Now on wid da show....(spell check really hates humor!)

My husband and I enjoy dressing smart for dinner but don't do tux and long gown anymore. We do cocktail dress and a suit for formal nights. We've been on Oceania and they don't do formal but nice dressy at night. We loved it!

We usually goes to the formal dinners on our cruises. Hubby has a suit that isn't dark, but more of a tweed, I guess, but one he's used whenever he was going to a "promotional interview" at work. He would wear a dress shirt along with a festive tie (our last three cruises were holiday ones so fitting the atmosphere onboard). I would wear anything from cocktail dresses to floor length dresses or one piece pants outfits...but not glittery (not me).

If one of us don't feel like dressing up, we would just go to the buffet -- not a problem.