The virtues of formal nights & why we like them

keithm

We absolutely love formal nights. We sail with our young children and they get very excited about dressing up in suits with bow ties - even our almost 16 year old.

When we first decided to sail on Cunard the teenager was very upset about the necessity to dress formally. He wanted to wear jeans and eat in the buffet. We never dress formally in day to day life so it was far far out of his comfort zone. However the formal nights became the highlight of the trip for him and his brothers. They looked so smart and attracted quite a few comments.

My perspective is that it is very healthy for kids to learn that there are times and places where you have to conform to a dress code, whether you want to or not. My husband has issues with otherwise very competent staff turning up to work in jeans and a tshirt because they think that since they don't see clients it's okay to dress in everyday stuff in the office. I want my kids to grow up with an understanding of appropriate attire for a variety of settings, and the ability to be confident and comfortable in doing so.

Also it means that we have the right clothes immediately available for a variety of occasions. Recently my brother in law died. Within hours I flew to my sister, leaving my husband to pack the kids into the car and follow. He was able to just grab their cruise suits and our three sons looked very smart and respectful at their uncle's funeral mass a few days later.

Our next cruise is 21 nights over Christmas and New Year. This time we will be taking our teenaged niece who now lives with us. She's immediately caught the formal bug from us and is bringing two long gowns (from her last two school balls) and is very excited to be dressing up.

For us, dressing up formally for a multicourse dinner in the main dining room is part of the rich experience of cruising and helps our children to learn to be confident and capable in a variety of different settings. We really enjoy it and see it as a highlight!

We absolutely love formal nights. We sail with our young children and they get very excited about dressing up in suits with bow ties - even our almost 16 year old.

When we first decided to sail on Cunard the teenager was very upset about the necessity to dress formally. He wanted to wear jeans and eat in the buffet. We never dress formally in day to day life so it was far far out of his comfort zone. However the formal nights became the highlight of the trip for him and his brothers. They looked so smart and attracted quite a few comments.

My perspective is that it is very healthy for kids to learn that there are times and places where you have to conform to a dress code, whether you want to or not. My husband has issues with otherwise very competent staff turning up to work in jeans and a tshirt because they think that since they don't see clients it's okay to dress in everyday stuff in the office. I want my kids to grow up with an understanding of appropriate attire for a variety of settings, and the ability to be confident and comfortable in doing so.

Also it means that we have the right clothes immediately available for a variety of occasions. Recently my brother in law died. Within hours I flew to my sister, leaving my husband to pack the kids into the car and follow. He was able to just grab their cruise suits and our three sons looked very smart and respectful at their uncle's funeral mass a few days later.

Our next cruise is 21 nights over Christmas and New Year. This time we will be taking our teenaged niece who now lives with us. She's immediately caught the formal bug from us and is bringing two long gowns (from her last two school balls) and is very excited to be dressing up.

For us, dressing up formally for a multicourse dinner in the main dining room is part of the rich experience of cruising and helps our children to learn to be confident and capable in a variety of different settings. We really enjoy it and see it as a highlight!

21 days?!! Wow wish I could take that amount of time off! I'm not retired, but we still go on 10-16 day cruises.

Amazing how kids aren't so comfortable dressing up, but when strangers compliment them, you can't keep them from dressing up! Have a grand time!

I'm sure you will have heads turning in the dining room with admiration!!!! I wish I was there to see how nice you and your family look.

Tony

If it wasn't for the formal nights I wouldn't be interested in going on a cruise. When I go on holiday I like it to be completely different from my normal daily life and I love to see my husband dressed up in his tux - very 007! I think it a shame that so many cruise ships are relaxing their dress codes and it seems such a strange thing to do when the younger generation are into dressing up and looking good again.

I couldn't agree more. I think it lovely to dress up for one another, certainly helps to keep my marriage great.

These types of comments make me wonder: Why is it that we feel we need "permission" or a dress code (or suggestion) to dress up? Why don't we decide to dress up -- even in tuxes and gowns -- to go out for, say, a nice birthday or anniversary dinner, or just a romantic date night, at a restaurant at sea or on land?

If we feel that some folks on cruise ship formal nights choose to dress too casually than we prefer, do we feel equally that we could be dressing " too formally" when we go out to a nice dining venue not on board a cruise ship?

And even if cruise lines abandoned "requiring" or even suggesting specific nights for formal attire, why would that stop us from dressing up if we chose to?

I've just returned from the Baltic on Navigator of the seas we had a strange mix of formal, suggested formal and casual now to me formal means just that dinner suits or lounge suits and ties? Ladies in their gowns cocktail dresses, I have no idea of suggested formal as this is confusing what's the point ? Casual no shorts, vests or flip flops that's my take .

On our first formal night I would say 90 plus % wore formal which was very nice to see however a lot of guests turned up in jeans,shorts , scruffy t shirts sandles and flip flops which was very disappointing and I believe lowered the tone of the evening for all those that took the time and effort to dress up for the occasion I made a complaint to the supervisor who sympathised with our table but was told unfortunately he was powerless to do anything as they do not want to upset the guests which makes me mad why state on the compass lmfo letter formal why have formal nights at all on Cunard and p&o you are asked to change before entering the restaurant. I don't like dressing up but I do it for my wife who enjoys the ambiance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've just returned from the Baltic on Navigator of the seas we had a strange mix of formal, suggested formal and casual now to me formal means just that dinner suits or lounge suits and ties? Ladies in their gowns cocktail dresses, I have no idea of suggested formal as this is confusing what's the point ? Casual no shorts, vests or flip flops that's my take .

On our first formal night I would say 90 plus % wore formal which was very nice to see however a lot of guests turned up in jeans,shorts , scruffy t shirts sandles and flip flops which was very disappointing and I believe lowered the tone of the evening for all those that took the time and effort to dress up for the occasion I made a complaint to the supervisor who sympathised with our table but was told unfortunately he was powerless to do anything as they do not want to upset the guests which makes me mad why state on the compass lmfo letter formal why have formal nights at all on Cunard and p&o you are asked to change before entering the restaurant. I don't like dressing up but I do it for my wife who enjoys the ambiance.

Most people find out that the formal nights clothing isn't required on the first night and you saw what they do on the second.

It's that way most cruises.

Princess is becoming more casual as time goes by in order to compete with all the rest of the cruise lines.

313 posts and nothing has or will be solved even if there are 1000 posts on formal night. Dress as Princess permits and enjoy your meal. Want to wear a Tux or a long formal please do. But please no shorts tshirts or other dress in the MDR.

Princess is becoming more casual as time goes by in order to compete with all the rest of the cruise lines.

That has not been my experience at all. Since I first cruised Princess in 2012 til now I feel that most people dress formal and stay that way for the evening. I do cruise on longer cruises so that might be a reason. Maybe 7 day Caribbean or Mexican Riviera cruises are different.

313 posts and nothing has or will be solved even if there are 1000 posts on formal night. Dress as Princess permits and enjoy your meal. Want to wear a Tux or a long formal please do. But please no shorts tshirts or other dress in the MDR.

Agreed [emoji1303]

Should have read : But no shorts, tshirts or other ragged clothes in the MDR"

That has not been my experience at all. Since I first cruised Princess in 2012 til now I feel that most people dress formal and stay that way for the evening. I do cruise on longer cruises so that might be a reason. Maybe 7 day Caribbean or Mexican Riviera cruises are different.

Our last cruises were a 6 day followed by an 8 day on the CB in the Caribbean & it was probably the most notable casual dress on formal nights I've seen in 10 years. Many shorts on casual nights with dozens of people with just dress shirts on formal nights.

Our last cruises were a 6 day followed by an 8 day on the CB in the Caribbean & it was probably the most notable casual dress on formal nights I've seen in 10 years. Many shorts on casual nights with dozens of people with just dress shirts on formal nights.

Shorts in the MDR?

Shorts in the MDR?

Yes, shorts.

It's not my choice unless the DR is exceptionally warm but I can accept their choice if that's what they like.

It should prove interesting to see on my next B2B the difference in attire on formal nights from the first 10 day leg compared to the 5 day second leg. (Caribbean)

Yes, shorts.

It's not my choice unless the DR is exceptionally warm but I can accept their choice if that's what they like.

It should prove interesting to see on my next B2B the difference in attire on formal nights from the first 10 day leg compared to the 5 day second leg. (Caribbean)

In all our cruises, we've never seen it so "warm" in the MDR, that pax resort to wearing shorts. I'd avoid a 5 day cruise like the plague. Sorry, but I've always seen a lower denominator & behavior from pax who choose these type of cruises.(aka the "booze" cruise)I'm certain your second leg WILL be far different from your first leg of your B2B. For those who'll call me a snob(becareful!)I've seen how these pax behave when in port. Really gives us Americans a bad rap. I get really tired of disgusting drunk behavior by a lot of these types when in ports that share ships with longer trips. This is off topic, so let's get back to the topic at hand.

Should have read : But no shorts, tshirts or other ragged clothes in the MDR"

You've claimed you basically wear just jeans & t shirts when cruising. How do you justify your own post? Do you actually dress up a bit when dining in the MDR?